The Snap Ring Thing ( Epilogue )

Some of you might remember the snap-ring topic I posted on the Tech forum a while ago. Anyway. bottom line, I had the car repaired and the transmission housing replaced, total cost £3,200 or which £900 was the cost of the new housing.

Honda UK have replied to two letters from me stating flatly that the TSB issued by Acura doesn't relate to UK spec NSXs and that they wouldn't see their way clear to even contributing to the cost of the new housing.

We all know that this is BS don't we? The gearboxes were manufactured by a single sub-contractor and fitted to NSX's the world over.

Anyway, has anyone any suggestions for an alternative to the Civic Type R I was going to buy until I came across Honda Europe's customer services department?

Hey Martyn,
that is EXACTELY what I told you, do you remember?

Honda Europe sucks! For that reason I'd prefer not to buy cars from them too...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally posted by Martyn:
We all know that this is BS don't we?

That depends. It's BS if they're contending that the problem described in the TSB doesn't occur in UKM cars. It's not BS if they're contending that the TSB doesn't obligate them to provide any coverage for your repair. It doesn't obligate American Honda to provide any coverage here, either. And, generally, at this point in time, they don't.

It wasn't a question of *obligation* in my view - it was a question of, for want of a better word, responsibility. They sold cars ( unwittingly at the time we all accept ) that had a time bomb waiting to go off in a number of their gearboxes, not all by any means, but a proportion of them. When things develop, if it's likely to be a direct result of a manufacturing flaw, then I think the manufacturer should play their part in re-establishing their customer's relationship with the company. If Acura could do it I don't see why Honda couldn't.

This has been thoroughly discussed here before. There are those who feel like you, while there are others who feel that there is no responsibility for repairing defects in a car that's ten years old, seven years after the warranty expires.

Perhaps you misunderstood what a TSB means. It's simply a bulletin that tells service departments how to fix a problem. The existence of a TSB does not mean that coverage for the repair is necessarily provided after the warranty expires.

If Acura could do it I don't see why Honda couldn't.

Acura doesn't generally cover these repairs any longer, either.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 March 2002).]

BS is that they deny the existence of the snap-ring problem on european NSX... at least this is what Honda Switzerland did (and they were lying since I know for sure that at least the president, that I spoke to at the phone) is REALLY involved in the tech side of the nsx, as in racing with it in the european trophy...
frown.gif

Is this what you call customer relations?

In response to Martyn's question of an alternative to the Civic Type R:

-Ford Focus SVT
-Subaru WRX
-Toyota Matrix

If/when you do buy something besides a Honda, let Honda know about it with a letter after your purchase.

Originally posted by Soichiro:
If/when you do buy something besides a Honda, let Honda know about it with a letter after your purchase.

Now thats exactly what we are trying to say about Honda europe......

They wouldn't give a d**n about such a letter.

I once called Honda Holland wih a technical question, and they where not interested giving a answer, since a 1993 NSX is a really old car.............
eek.gif

Back