• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Snap Ring Thing?

Hi,

When I accelerate or decelerate in second gear the gear knob ( shift stick to you chaps across the pond ) kicks back and forth. This sounds horribly like the infamous snap ring thing detailed in the FAQ. Could it be anything else? Has any europe-based NSX-er had any success in persuading Honda to contribute to the cost of the repairs? No grinding noises, everything else runs like a dream, but I guess it's better fixed now than later!

If the gear knob bounces back and forth does that mean that the snap has actually failed - and if so why hasn't it trashed the gearbox? - and more importantly what will actually need to be repaired, the FAQ isn't especially clear about this. Will I need a new transmission case, a fatter snap ring, what? At European prices ( don't ask! ) a new transmission would be hideously expensive :-(

I have checked the transmission number, and at J4A4-1003815 it's just in the "trouble" list

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited 14 December 2001).]

Originally posted by Martyn:
Hi,

When I accelerate or decelerate in second gear the gear knob ( shift stick to you chaps across the pond ) kicks back and forth. This sounds horribly like the infamous snap ring thing detailed in the FAQ. Could it be anything else? Has any europe-based NSX-er had any success in persuading Honda to contribute to the cost of the repairs? No grinding noises, everything else runs like a dream, but I guess it's better fixed now than later!

If the gear knob bounces back and forth does that mean that the snap has actually failed - and if so why hasn't it trashed the gearbox? - and more importantly what will actually need to be repaired, the FAQ isn't especially clear about this. Will I need a new transmission case, a fatter snap ring, what? At European prices ( don't ask! ) a new transmission would be hideously expensive :-(

I have checked the transmission number, and at J4A4-1003815 it's just in the "trouble" list

[This message has been edited by Martyn (edited 14 December 2001).]

Euro here, just across the channel,

If it also kicks back and forward in third it will be most deffinetely be the ol' snapring.
Apperently the 2nd and 3rd gear are on the same shaft, which is hold in place by 'the' snapring.
I would say, don't drive your car anymore, i think it's possible to check the snapring, without taking the tranny apart.
Repairing the snapringproblem, could be done by just putting a new one in (tranny has to be taken apart), but that will be just a temporary fix, since it will break again.
The way to go is to replace the outer tranny case, and the snapring. I went that route (preventive repair), but blown it off, coz off the price off the tranny case (USD 1000), add 'some' labor.

Keep in mind that the snapringproblem is not the snapring itself (you will get the exact same one from Honda), but the tranny case is where the problem is.

I strongly suggest you do a search on the forums for 'snapring' and understand everything about it.

You probably are already aware of the Honda service here in Eurpope, which is zero.
A fellow dutchy had his snapring break (named GT in the faq about the snapring), including the gearbox going duff.

No goodwill whatsoever. He even tried Honda headquarters in Europe (UK?), no result.

If you are getting it repaired make sure that the mechanics know what they are doing, since knowledge on the NSX is pretty low here.

Dutchy

[This message has been edited by DutchBlackNsx (edited 15 December 2001).]

Story update. Drove to "local" NSX dealer ( 50 miles away ) and chatted to service manager - they've serviced the car twice so they know me. Sympathetic hearing. Will chat to mechanic Tuesday and inspection ( take off the wheel and look in the gearbox ) Thursday morning. Probably have to settle for new snap ring as tranny case LOADS of money. Goodwill chances seem slim :-( Will keep you posted.

The tranny case is about the same or less than the labor involved in replacing the ring over here. So if you have to replace the snap ring just one more time, you will lose out on that deal. If the case is ridiculously expensive over there, get a used one from here and have it shipped.

Martyn,
happened to me last year on my "Old" Swiss '91... funny enough that Honda Europe keeps on saying that the snap ring is a problem realted to Acuras... and even sadder is that the president of Honda Switzerland, with whom I spoke at the phone at that time, is part of the Honda NSX Technical team... let's speak of customer transparent relation...
mad.gif
one of the most arrogant person I spoke to in my life!
frown.gif

Back