• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts About Texas.....

As of right now, im currently staying at manvel/pearland with my fiance and her family at their house. My fiance is planning on moving here for a year after graduation, stay with family (3700sqft home on 2acres) so she can get some experience and according to plan, move back to NJ which she says has no entry level jobs for her (catering manager). She wants to get married here also (shoulder shrug) even though 80% of friends and family are back in NJ.

Anyways, i always talked crap about Texas even though i have never been here before. The main reason i decided on coming is to prove my thoughts wrong.

My initial thoughts so far after being here for a day.

The roads are BEAUTIFUL. no potholes or manhole covers. I can actually drive my CTSCed NSX all year long. I hear rush hour traffic is CRAZY though... I have yet to experience that. I think i will be forced to buy an automatic hybrid just from that alone...

It is not as rural as i thought it would be. Many of the areas are being developed into gated communities, which i am used to. I havent seen horse riding cowboys yet.

Southern hospitality? I forgot some groceries at the local HEB and the cashier chased me out the door to give it to me. That is definitely a first for me. So far the people i have spoken to are receptive to me being asian.

Weather is beautiful. Considering im from the northeast, i am used to winter weather and somewhat mild summers. It is still march and it feels like spring already. I have heard horrors of texas summer with its humidity... So far this is one of the negs into living here. However, i am a homebody so im indoors most of the time and i also work indoors so i guess i can live with it.

More bang for your money in terms of housing. I havent eaten at the restaurants yet but i hear more food also for the money.

Gas prices are similar and everything is much further away. I havent seen any public transportation either. I guess that will somewhat offset the savings with housing.

Pay is also less... But no state tax so that would be nice. Again somewhat offset a decrease in pay.

We are supposed to go to the rodeo tomorrow night so i can get more of a feel of the area. Will post more thoughts when they come. So far, im starting to like it and can grow to love it.

For anybody else who experienced a similar move, please chime in.

It is not as rural as i thought it would be. Many of the areas are being developed into gated communities, which i am used to. I havent seen horse riding cowboys yet./[

I raughed out roud.

Before I moved to the dfw area to work and live there for a year between 2003-2004, I have the same exact thoughts as you about Texas as I had never been there before. I actually thought people still ride horses on the street, people speak with southern drawl, and the KKK roamed the streets at night. Boy I was wrong. No cowboys riding horses on the freeways, most people in the dfw metro speak normally without the drawl, winters are not too bad, and no KKK members were spotted by myself during my one year there. People are very nice, houses are cheap , no state tax. Due to my job, i had to move but I would definitely come back if there are work there for me in the future.

Last edited:
Texas is awesome! Austin is priceless, the best place in U.S; Dallas - nothing to comment; Houston - Always construction and surprisingly with a great mix of people(European).

I lived in 48 states. 911 time, my friend got stabbed in San Fran (one of my favorite places) in a club being Indian with hat. Austin - Did not feel a thing and we were in downtown/6th street.

Last edited:
Got a close buddy that lives in Houston during fall, winter, spring, then Philly in Summer. Good combo, but he likes TX better. Summers are brutal here in Houston, but I think H town is the best mix of life and I've been all over the World. And once you drive the NSX on the Twisted Sisters in the Hill Country (335, 336, 337). You'll find it hard to move away.

I am Italian and I like Texas! Houston has been my home for the past 3 years now.

But it's true, don't move here

houston is boring , move to cali imo ...

honestly if i didnt have my business here i wound consider living elsewhere , sighs

Back