• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for a 134 conversion?

Now that the snow in atlanta has finally melted, I ran the AC for a bit and ... nothing (well, air blew out of the vents proportional to the fan setting, but no coldness).

The compressor clutch was engaged, the condenser fans were going, even had a little drip of condensation out the bottom - just like when it was working.

Could it be some sort of mixing door in the system? something else?

The car has (had?) the original charge in the system, but I understand that R12 is no longer available hence not an option.

anyone have any gotchas to look out for? I will have it done by someone that is not me (I tried it on a much larger system once - youtube moment resulted - hence this post here and not in the DIY forum.

R12 is still available, you just need the right mechanic thats certified to purchase it for you. Though I've had zero issues with my original system {knocks on wood} I keep some R12 just in case. I know this does'nt answer your original question, just wanted to add my .02 on the freon.

Make sure you have a shop check if there is a leak (leak test) to make sure everything is all good. Converting to R134 is cheaper in the long run (R12 is expensive)...it's really up to you :cool:

I had mine converted about 2 years ago because I thought there might be a leak. The (Acura) tech did a dye test and determined that it was not leaking but still did the conversion anyway. I think it cost aboout 475. Kind of expensive considering the part was not significant (an adapter) and the r132 that filled isn't costly either. Lots of expensive labor.

did my convertion for 45 bucks, from autozone, or pepboys i forget which

i did this 2 years ago. and use it everyday still ice cold as the day I put it in.

even comes with a DVD that shows you how to do it.

it took me 15 minutes to do the convertion and fill with 3 cans of the new R134a and it seals the system

now the system must be drained of the remaining old freon,

you can use a screwdriver to press the Bicycle tire valve thing and set the freon free.

475.00 when you can do it yourself for 45 bucks? seems like a waste of money to me. but if you got it to burn go for it

the so called " Convertion " is screwing on to new ends on the original caps which allows the NEW style head to plug into it.

the " Convertion process " just sounds high tech. its a new bicycle tire valve LOL for the low and high pressure sides.

Last edited:
Ya know, when I got the car 4 years ago it started blowing "sorta" cool after a few months. I put one can of R12 and it's never happened again since.:confused:

Now that the snow in atlanta has finally melted, I ran the AC for a bit and ... nothing (well, air blew out of the vents proportional to the fan setting, but no coldness).

The compressor clutch was engaged, the condenser fans were going, even had a little drip of condensation out the bottom - just like when it was working.

Could it be some sort of mixing door in the system? something else?

The car has (had?) the original charge in the system, but I understand that R12 is no longer available hence not an option.

anyone have any gotchas to look out for? I will have it done by someone that is not me (I tried it on a much larger system once - youtube moment resulted - hence this post here and not in the DIY forum.

If the freon is out the compressor clutch should not be engaged. If the compressor runs dry it not last long.

one thing about the NSX and acura Vigor is when its low on freon, or R134a it will only blow cold on one side of the car.

passengerside will get cold and the driverside will blow warm.

so if this is the issue just add some

I couldn't have determined whether or not there was l leak for 45 dollars though.

did my convertion for 45 bucks, from autozone, or pepboys i forget which

i did this 2 years ago. and use it everyday still ice cold as the day I put it in.

even comes with a DVD that shows you how to do it.

it took me 15 minutes to do the convertion and fill with 3 cans of the new R134a and it seals the system

you can use a screwdriver to press the Bicycle tire valve thing and set the freon free.

475.00 when you can do it yourself for 45 bucks? seems like a waste of money to me. but if you got it to burn go for it

the so called " Convertion " is screwing on to new ends on the original caps which allows the NEW style head to plug into it.

the " Convertion process " just sounds high tech. its a new bicycle tire valve LOL for the low and high pressure sides.

It's not just the availability of the R12 itself. What you're going to find is that fewer and fewer shops and dealers are going to be able to use R12 equipment such as sniffers (to detect leaks) and connectors. Go ahead and do the conversion, either yourself or have your dealer/mechanic do it.

I don't think the conversion takes long. An hour maybe? IIRC the conversion kit costs around $60. It shouldn't cost $475, and I bet that figure includes some additional work besides the conversion.

I had mine converted last year and it's fine, nice and cold.

While your chances of getting caught doing this are next to zero it IS illegal and environmentally irresponsible. If you want to do the conversion yourself that's fine but have whatever r-12 that is in the system properly recovered by a professional wih the proper equipment. I doubt they would charge you very much, maybe nothing. A salvage yard might be able to do this for you since they have to recover r-12 from their vehicles, and again, I doubt for very much.
Once done you could take it from there if you like.

Venting r12 to the atmosphere is right there with dumping oil, antifreeze or any material that is hazardous to the environment on the ground.
There's really no reason to do this on purpose.

I did the R134a conversion around 2005 in my 92 at the dealer. It was around $200 and change. My brother has the car now, but so far so good. Still blowing cold.

Thanks for the feedback;
I was under the impression that R12 was not available any more, so I will check it out. I would prefer to go that route.

Also, the last vehicle I tried to convert was an RV that probably had other issues - incompatible oil in it that had to be purged prior to charging, old hoses not capable of handling the higher pressures - called it a "fail" and went to plan B.

This conversion sounds much easier. Probably belongs in the DIY category.

Back