• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time to introduce myself...

I've been a longtime lurker on NSX Prime, asked a question or two, but haven't done the "I'm a new owner" thing.

I bought my '91 NSX about 18 months ago with 85,000 km on it. My car had just two previous owners in 19 years.

Since the car is my daily driver, I'm up to 118,000 km now and I've loved every minute driving it. Because it's often on the road keeping it clean is a constant chore (it's black), but one I enjoy. Winter is less fun, but traction control and a great set of snow tires make the car fun to drive then too.

Prime has a lot to say about timing belt replacement and deferred maintenance, all of which I've read with great interest. I must be a gambling man because I've almost caught up on maintenance, but I won't be getting the rest done until the Fall. Moving forward I plan to budget about $2,000-$3,000 a year for it, including tires (in the last six months I bought a set of Summer and Winter tires so I think I'm good for a couple of years). NSX techs who've seen my car describe it as being in mint condition, all I know is that it's been great to drive and very reliable since I bought it.

Many of the cars on Prime have been modified and look great, but because my car is on the road a lot I didn't want to do anything to reduce ground clearance so I keep it stock. The car had 17" and 18" rims when I bought it, but I traded them for a set of '92 OEM rims and a set of JDM rims. The short sidewalls on low profile tires with the larger rims made for a very rough ride and because the front wheels were quite a bit wider the steering effort was too high (manual steering on a 91 is great on the road, but a bit of work in parking lots).

I've considered adding a CTSC, but I get to 100 km/hr in 5 ish seconds already and on public roads I think that's fast enough. If I got there in 3 or 4 seconds the fun would be over too quickly! Even with the car's stock performance the Police would have a thing or two to say about it if I pushed it, so I'll stay stock unless I get into racing. One of the great things about an NSX is that it's an incredibly reliable car when stock and easy to upgrade if racing is your thing. I think it's the perfect car (but I'm a little biased).

Previously I had an interest in the first generation Lotus Esprit Turbo, but after viewing several cars with rebuilt engines after just 20,000 km, obvious heat damage to the engine bay, less than ideal ergonomics, poor visibility and hard to find transmission parts, I thought it best to stay away from them. I have yet to find any drawbacks to owning an NSX.

I detailed my NSX for the first time last weekend, I'll do a post in the detailing section about it soon.

The obligatory picture is below:

Attachments

• HPIM2146 (800x).jpg
    HPIM2146 (800x).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Welcome! I'm sure you already know it's a great site. Make sure you check out the Wiki on the red action bar at the top of most pages, for lots of good info on caring for your car; modifying it; DIY projects; etc.

My car is black too and one of the funniest comments I heard was at NSXPO last fall where we were admiring the finish on another attendee's black car and he said "black is not a color .. it's a hobby"

Welcome!

You should come over to the CDN section and say hi. You should also consider joining the NSX Club of Canada too.

You will get big parts and labour discounts at our preferred dealers and you will meet tons of other (and local) NSX owners. Organized weekends away and group drives, dinners, so much fun!

So come to the CDN section and introduce yourself. Having lots of friends with NSXs is a great way to improve your own ownership experience.

Welcome aboard and check out the Canadian section, we have quite a few guys that bought their NSX in the last couple of months.

Bram

Last edited:
congrats and welcome! as a new and proud owner of a 91 nsx as well, I hope to meet you sometime soon as well.
enjoy!!

eddy

Back