• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** - Timing Belt & Transmission Rebuild Thread (2005 NSX 6MT)

I got all new seals for the timing plate covers

Wu376KY.jpg

eXY7xRw.jpg

9UkPb2C.jpg

Bolt those covers on, then install the cam gears. At this stage I put the old belt on and used the belt (in combination with the crank pulley bolt) to hold the cams and torque the pulleys down to the proper spec. Once that’s done, re-align TDC and then remove the water pump. The original bolts had sealant on them so I chased the threads. Side note, the new water pump DOES NOT come with new dowels. 1 was stuck in the original water pump but I had to hunt for the second one as it fell out on me. I had the garbage under the engine as I was brake cleaning and thankfully it landed in there.

k43L0QD.jpg

bM0qIoZ.jpg

Said dowel in the shop rag there
dxrcNFC.jpg

The crank seal was so so much easier and “like normal”

6JaOdxb.jpg

Move to the back side and re-seal the vtec valves

vXmXhxh.jpg

t9HDP9y.jpg

6YBZHUq.jpg

Bolt the water pump and new tensioner in (I also bought a new spring) and then the timing belt. The outside package has a different part number but the belt itself matches.

KDjHux1.jpg

1IPtk4T.jpg

You can see some wear on the leading edges of the old belt (that’s not camera flash) but overall no cracks.

R8BypXQ.jpg

KBRBQ4H.jpg

I’m really happy I made those marks. The exhaust cam on the forward bank just wouldn’t match up. It was 1 tooth off. I had to spin the crank ~5 -10 degrees and then it matched up. I spun the engine a few times after and all marks lined up perfect. I can see how people get the belt 1 tooth off in the forum threads I have seen over the years. Especially with the frame rail right against the side of the engine in-situ.

62XMxZK.jpg

7IoI3uS.jpg

gAfvaVd.jpg

s86hL6B.jpg

bFCUMB7.jpg

Once I buttoned everything up on the belt and tensioned as per the manual I did the valve adjustments. This took me a while. Most were loose by ~0.001 inches. Meaning if spec was 0.007-0.0008 mine came in at 0.009. Only 1 was 0.010. I got them all bang on perfect. Valve adjustment would suck if the engine was in the car. Poor lower backs across the nation…..

Start on re-sealing the valve covers.

Xs5ErQv.jpg

Once again the castings seem to be miffy on my particular car. These never leaked and they don’t hold much pressure so maybe I’m just being too picky.

s0hPYtn.jpg

Fit0VNi.jpg

Change the sparks plugs, re-seal the oil cooler and then slap everything back together

hZgH6ZR.jpg

UUPXWRn.jpg

FSEM4VW.jpg

Then put the intake manifold on. This being my own car I took about half a day cleaning every single passage and every single port. I got the EGR perfect. I scrubbed every solid part I could. I suppose that’s the benefit of “free” labour.

p0YEokW.jpg

RTxn5wy.jpg

I know it probably shows up looking the same in the pictures but I assure you that manifold is spotless
n97Jqw2.jpg

The gasket is straight, the metal casting isn’t.
JnqAx3x.jpg

For some reason the manual calls to replace the bolt washers even though they’re metal. They were cheap so I did them.

9DMYdSo.jpg

RofEAr1.jpg

Cleaned EGR port
k6jigul.jpg

ZVYxTwG.jpg

After that intake manifold is ready to go on the car. I’m happy I changed my manifold gaskets. They looked perfect but when I lifted them they disintegrated. And my car only has 24k miles on it. The new one is on in the background.

4WEEx31.jpg

I didn’t buy new injectors I just re-sealed them

RWvJC0d.jpg

UxW0tEn.jpg

Completed engine now done. Note I have a new crank pulley but I put the old one in just in case it gets bumped while installing the engine. Can also see a Cedar Ridge pulley shield just peeking out.

OspVug0.jpg

mUAhliz.jpg

GQO2lwJ.jpg

u4iTW0Y.jpg

mPTJNy7.jpg

Install a new pilot bearing. I’m a bit antsy about this new bearing. It came new out of the package but felt “crunchy” when spinning it. Hopefully once some grease gets flung around it’ll get better.

LCPx1DE.jpg

Now finally time to get the engine off the stand.

GWNA3nD.jpg

yl9d2x4.jpg

This is the first time (other than the cams and rear plugs) that I’ve seen a rear main seal glued in from factory. This had some really strange blue paste on it. It didn’t flake up for the most part but either balled up or stringed off like a spider’s web. It showed no signs of leaking so of course by me changing it I probably made it worse and more likely to leak in the future.

jWHDa7j.jpg

Im7YLVe.jpg

eQy3s4S.jpg

They definitely changed the design since 2005. Since the service manual doesn’t specify what that paste is nor do they call for any sealant I re-installed the new one like I’ve done in every other car (I went in dry other than some grease around the spinning portion of the crank). Hopefully it holds.

VoGV5cQ.jpg

Torque the flywheel on. Ignore the numbers as that was from when it was coming off.
n26pLuj.jpg

New friction disc and pressure plate
MYyL2LT.jpg

lyvaIM5.jpg

Goop the urea grease on everywhere that it says to. For the throwout bearing it says to only get it in the groove. I tried but just wouldn’t go in only the groove. Then I noticed they say to grease up the sleeve on the transmission side too so the point is moot. I say go to town on the grease.

Notice the part number on the page
knFtJXu.jpg

Unicorn piss $$$ at its finest. Nearly $90 (in Canada).
fZ8C5y7.jpg

rn5R2IT.jpg

wsh706B.jpg

4dNEzHJ.jpg

I also got a new shift fork and hanger
M4fcdRP.jpg

At this point can start to bolt everything together.

Ip9Q6LA.jpg

I called a buddy to help me with the tranny. We couldn’t slip it on as we were hoping would happen. I then called another neighbour over to help us as we thought that maybe the splines weren’t lining up so we had him spin the crank while we pushed…… and we still couldn’t get the tranny slid on. We had long bolts threaded in to use as guides for the tranny..and it still wouldn’t go on. We got behind the stupid thing and rammed it like you would your first girlfriend and it still wouldn’t get in the hole. What was supposed to be a 5 minute job turned into freaking 2.5 hours. It turns out that f-ing $5 plastic clutch alignment tool is a piece of crap!!! Notice in the picture above it’s slightly pointing downwards? Well…I didn’t…until 2 hours later when someone suggested we check the alignment. We had to make our own tool out of sockets and once we did the tranny slid on like butter. The picture below is our sarcastic “victory” pose as we were all laughing at ourselves. FFS

dMrHeSK.jpg

Here you can see the tool we made to mimic the plastic one. A socket and masking tape fit very snuggly into the pilot bearing and then the splines of the friction disc. We stuck a long bolt through the center and then just spaced everything out with many large nuts.

OnD4aA7.jpg

W4iIJS4.jpg

It was smooth sailing after this. Bolt the engine/tranny into the cradle. Slide it under the car. Jack it up. It’s easier going up since you don’t have to guess the length of the chain required so the boom doesn’t hit the quarter panel.

jD3805O.jpg

The joints in the concrete caused me huge issues. The casters wouldn’t roll over them nicely and everyone went home. I had to sit on my ass and leg press the engine under the car. Very professional….and half this forum will roll their eyes but it worked!!!! I wish I had a hoist.

1LdQapf.jpg

SocdeTT.jpg

hiZQwpe.jpg

3mlURBQ.jpg

Good to see 2 jackstands per corner...

We had our second kid at the end of August so things were hectic over the past few months. I’ll put some closure to the rest of the engine install now in an abbreviated form.

Somewhere in-between us trying to get the transmission on or me lifting the back end of the car up with the engine hoist it cracked. Truthfully I exceeded the load rating and coupled with the dynamic forces of the “bouncing” transmission this isn’t surprising:

eYkjMwx.jpg

Next up was the oil pan. I have seen some people put some reflector tape on to limit the effects of the front exhaust manifold heat on the oil. I figured I would hop on that train while I had everything accessible. It probably doesn’t do much for daily driving.

NPsQmjf.jpg

V42Cg4U.jpg

WCm5gqi.jpg

I failed a little bit at applying the tape. The corners is what killed me. I tried relief cuts but it still ended up looking like an amateur did it.

d39Cab6.jpg

b1IRHrl.jpg

Last edited:
New oil pickup tube gasket
d1fUci5.jpg

Make sure to clean all the oil on the surface.
iBnjHpV.jpg

My new oil pan gasket had a minor cut in it. I assure you I didn’t nick it when I was opening it. This came like that from the factory.

gs5HDXc.jpg

So I figured I would put some Hondabond on to seal any potential leaks.
Lm2LP9L.jpg

I then followed the service manual exactly as prescribed and turns out that it’s wrong. It way overtightens the gasket. But the squish wasn’t too bad so I left it.

On this side it wasn’t too bad
3IVwbUC.jpg

On the front side was a different story
fcxC9Os.jpg

wPNepb9.jpg

Last edited:
I left it like that for a few days but it was eating away at me. I ended up removing the oil pan again, scraping all of the sealant off, re-using my original gasket (I bought a fel-pro one and holy crap what a piece of junk that is – it was rock hard), then I used the forum approved method of just snugging each bolt up gradually until you just barely see the gasket puff out.

Next up was the front exhaust manifold with new gasket. The gasket is directional for some reason:

Z6S2JLV.jpg

Then move onto the oxygen sensors. I snapped this clip when I was taking it out so I replaced it.

oWUxEud.jpg

tXvgZ5t.jpg

I now moved on to buttoning up the coolant system. I bought all new hoses and new expansion tank.

zFuxt62.jpg

cMwxDWG.jpg

ZTXLeGK.jpg

Last edited:
None of my hoses were leaking and none showed cracks but they were still stretched out. Insert childish joke about your girlfriends and wives here:
I7dUylC.jpg

yKe4vH8.jpg

For some reason many of my connectors had the insert come out. Make sure to check each one when you put it back.

9LMZxVz.jpg

What an absolute PITA those large hoses were from the engine to the rear firewall.

xM6Aesj.jpg

To get to this part was relatively easy; getting that last little bit was tough. I am by no means an angry man but I had to actually stop and come back the next day to finish these hoses off.

8rB9Cnr.jpg

The middle one was slightly easier since you can remove the thermostat housing.
r0ZG8JQ.jpg

The small one is a non-issue compared to the large ones.
6ZdJmqC.jpg

Last edited:
My original 17 year old hoses were still in excellent condition. But we don’t get a lot of heat or dry rot here like you guys down south get.
GKDUypB.jpg

t469JQS.jpg

I had this extra solenoid port with no hose on it. I’m not sure what it does but I put a hose on it.
nFdCfuU.jpg

RMT4Uu6.jpg

dBmN5O7.jpg

LfMurLI.jpg

Put on a new PCV. I don’t understand why these are so expensive for such a simple mechanical device.
fptJN7e.jpg

Last edited:
It was about at this point where the bulged out oil pan gasket bothered me enough to take it off again. So here it is at round 2:

AeeZWm3.jpg

The sealant got everywhere
BYGyLOJ.jpg

Scraping the engine side off was actually pretty easy. It’s as if the sealant didn’t stick as well with such little pressure on it. Maybe that’s why they say not to do it.
v7Ltijc.jpg

SxovlOe.jpg

gV3baMj.jpg

Shown is the fel-pro gasket which I didn’t end up using. I re-used my original since it was still nice and soft.
Do6UR6g.jpg

Last edited:
While I was in the area I re-freshed the suspension top hat bushings. Clean up the KW shafts as best as you can.

yyBsK4z.jpg

nofGBgV.jpg

The old bushings barely touched the sleeve.

aAXvrus.jpg

Old on the left; new on the right

2QhDIIQ.jpg

uw11FwJ.jpg

I replaced the brake line grommets since mine were perished.

7ito2L6.jpg

SISXak1.jpg

Ns3IEaE.jpg

Back