• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing belts...

K got a opinion and question for you guys out there..i have thinking about this one for a while now..

we all know that we need to change the timing belt when the odometer hits 60,000 miles or 100,000 km..

or every 5 years which ever comes first..

my question is say your car only has 30,000 miles and is more than 5 years old....

why do you need to cahnge the timing belt...?

k before you guys say that it the time factor here..

think of this ....say at the parts store there are timing belts on the shelf in boxes ....if they were sitting on the shelf for a than a year does that mean the belt is only good for 4 years..(no of course not)like i don't think these belts are vacuum sealed....

NCC-1701D said:
we all know that we need to change the timing belt when the odometer hits 60,000 miles or 100,000 km..

or every 5 years which ever comes first..
No, we don't.

Those of us with the '91-96 NSX know that the recommendation is to change it every 90K miles or every 6 years, whichever comes first.

Those of us with the '97-03 NSX know that the recommendation is to change it every 105K miles or every 7 years, whichever comes first.

As for the need to change it with time as well as with miles, the timing belt is made of rubber, and rubber deteriorates with time; it can dry out and crack. As for wear that rubber experiences sitting on a shelf, I assume that parts stock is kept reasonably fresh, particularly at dealers that do a fair amount of NSX service. Furthermore, shelf life would be longer in an indoors, climate-controlled environment than it would be outdoors, in the brutal summertime heat.

The difference being that 5 years in the car is subject to repeated heating and cooling cycles. This damages rubber.
I have 10 year old Michelins on my RX-7 and they are cracked to hell but still have 50-60% tread left.
The t-belts H/A use are very high quality. They rarely break at given interval unless oil or coolant soaked, or were tightened too much at last replacement.
Hope this helps.

Just one thing I want to mention....

(which is why I recently did my timing belt at 57k miles)

Better safe than sorry.

good luck
-x-

I have a 95 with 31,000 miles on it. It was suggested that I do the timing belt. I'm spending $900 on the 30,000 mile service I don't really want to spend another $1100 at this time. Is there any worning before the timing belt goes?

FramerJohn said:
I have a 95 with 31,000 miles on it. It was suggested that I do the timing belt. I'm spending $900 on the 30,000 mile service I don't really want to spend another $1100 at this time. Is there any worning before the timing belt goes?

I'd get it done. I know its alot of money, but its only a small percentage of what it will cost you if the belt breaks. Think of it as insurance :) And sjs is right, you get NO forewarning before your belt breaks.

Service interval extension for pre '97 NSXs

nsxtasy said:
Those of us with the '91-96 NSX know that the recommendation is to change it every 90K miles or every 6 years, whichever comes first.

Those of us with the '97-03 NSX know that the recommendation is to change it every 105K miles or every 7 years, whichever comes first.

Here another thing to think about. Given that the mileage and time interval was extended for the '97+ NSXs, I would think the '91-'96 cars having a timing belt service now should be on the same interval as the '97+ cars. I presume there is only one timing belt part number for the NSX and that it's used on all NSXs regardless of model year.

Re: Service interval extension for pre '97 NSXs

Vytas said:
Here another thing to think about. Given that the mileage and time interval was extended for the '97+ NSXs, I would think the '91-'96 cars having a timing belt service now should be on the same interval as the '97+ cars. I presume there is only one timing belt part number for the NSX and that it's used on all NSXs regardless of model year.

Maybe the same part number, but that doesn't mean they haven't improved the materials and construction since the one in the car was made.

As for the water pump, it is very likely to have many years and miles left in it. But will it outlast the new belt? Perhaps, but now the odds are getting long so it just makes sense to do it and be done for a long time.

Re: Service interval extension for pre '97 NSXs

I would think the '91-'96 cars having a timing belt service now should be on the same interval as the '97+ cars. I presume there is only one timing belt part number for the NSX and that it's used on all NSXs regardless of model year. [/B][/QUOTE]

You are correct for the belt, but the water pump and lower cover are updated for 91-96 models. They now use the 3.2L pump and lower cover. Problem was no bleed hole for old style pumps, they weeped onto the t- belt. D'oh!:eek:

I had both the updated waterpump and updated waterpump cover installed when I had my timing belt service done in 2000. I don't see why I would have to stick to the '91-'96 service interval. I'm going with the '97+ since they are the same parts that would have gone on a '97+ NSX in for a timing belt service.

Don't laugh...I have a 91 that I plan on getting this done ASAP. It falls under the pump recall, how much of the "Labor" should be shared? As I recall there should be a good deal that is crossed, but I was told by one well known place not really..etc. I am also planning on having all the hoses done and the 60k valve job done at the same time...Any guesses on the total cost? I'll let you know what the final tab comes to...

I have a 91 that I plan on getting this done ASAP. It falls under the pump recall, how much of the "Labor" should be shared?
I assume you are referring to TSB 92-030. The labor depends on which category your car's VIN falls into. If your VIN needs only the coolant hoses replaced, then not much labor is involved. If it needs the water pump and the coolant hoses replaced, then it is indeed most of the labor that is shared.

JCP said:
I am also planning on having all the hoses done and the 60k valve job done at the same time...Any guesses on the total cost?
The timing belt and water pump typically costs $1200-1400 (assuming you're paying for it and it's not covered by the recall) and a 60K service another $1000-1200. Replacing the coolant hoses might cost $200-250 for the hoses and I'm guessing $150-200 for a couple of hours of labor. (Larry, does that sound right?) So your total bill might wind up in the $2600-3000 range, less however much of that they cover under warranty.

If you're keeping track of your scheduled maintenance services by task, rather than by mileage, remember that replacing the water pump and the coolant hoses means that you will be flushing the coolant. Flushing the coolant is normally done every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first, but it's normally done on the odd intervals, i.e. 45K, 75K, 105K miles. Since you're doing this at the same time as your 60K service, you can change your future maintenance schedule so that the coolant flush is done at the same time as your 60K, 90K, and 120K mile service, and not with your 45K, 75K, 105K mile service. Hope this makes sense.

Is there any worning before the timing belt goes?

i think you have heard about 4 on this thread alone ;)

Any guesses on the total cost?

i recently had a timing belt (including pump, etc), 60K service and window regulator change. take out the window regs and it was about $2500

There is very little crossover on work with the TB and 60K service...

ryan

My car gets both replaced via the recall, so that good news, now I just have to get to the dealership to get it done...I have a feeling it will be an interesting conversation with the dealership...Thanks

I know some dealerships are better than others. Some have more NSX service experience than others, and some will negotiate more on behalf of their customers regarding warranty service.

I don't know where you're having this done, but if you need a dealer who is familiar with NSX service, I would recommend talking with Davis Acura about doing the work. They have Bernie, the top NSX tech on the East Coast. They are in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, just a few miles from Trenton and 66 miles from you. I'm sure you could arrange all of this over the phone with them and they can tell you how much of it Acura would warranty.

nsxtasy said:
Okay, help me out here, Vytas, because I don't understand what you're saying. You don't have a lot of miles on your '91, right? So when you had your timing belt service done in 2000, it was three years overdue, based on the '91-96 service interval. If you were following the '97+ service interval, it would have been overdue by two years. So doesn't that mean that you're not following either interval? :confused:

What I am stating is that I will start following the '97+ timing belt service schedule for my '91 AFTER my April 2000 (30K miles) timing belt service. If Acura extended the timing belt service interval for 97+ NSXs, the '91-'96 NSXs that have a timing belt service done now should use the '97+ schedule for their next timing belt service. If a '97 and a '91 NSX were to have a timing belt service done today, both cars would be due in 7yrs/105K miles, based on the '97+ service interval, since the parts used in a timing belt service are exactly the same for both NSXs. The '91 NSX isn't going to wear out the timing belt any faster than the '97. The old 6yr/90K mile interval shouldn't even apply to any 91-96 NSX that just had a new timing belt installed recently since the new parts used in the service are the same ones that go on a '97+ NSX.

Vytas[/i] [B]I would think the '91-'96 cars having a timing belt service now should be on the same interval as the '97+ cars. I presume there is only one timing belt part number for the NSX and that it's used on all NSXs regardless of model year.[/B][/QUOTE][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by canuck said:
You are correct for the belt, but the water pump and lower cover are updated for 91-96 models. They now use the 3.2L pump and lower cover. Problem was no bleed hole for old style pumps, they weeped onto the t- belt. D'oh!:eek:
Well, I can think of two reasons why the moving of the weep hole was not the reason for extending the timing belt replacement interval from 90K to 105K. First, the water pump is recommended only for inspection, not replacement, at the same time. Second, all Acura models had their timing belt replacement interval extended from 90K to 105K at about that time, even though I would think that the weep hole issue is specific to the NSX.

However, I can think of an entirely different reason for extending the timing belt interval from 90K to 105K, and it too concerns the water pump. I should note that this is entirely conjecture on my part, and I have never heard anyone else mention this as a possibility. Suppose they knew all along that a timing belt could last up to 105K miles or 7 years. Suppose that Honda originally decided on the interval using logic along these lines: "We should try to have as much major service as possible on the 30K, 60K, 90K, etc intervals, so that people make sure to get it done then. Too many people skip the service at the intervening intervals."

Suppose too that Honda then changed their thinking some time in the mid 1990s, more along these lines: "You know, even though we recommend that the water pump only be inspected when the timing belt is replaced, most people are replacing the water pump at that time as an inexpensive preventive measure, so they don't have to worry about doing the labor all over again if it fails. And, when they replace the water pump, they have to flush the coolant - and that means that our previously-specified coolant intervals of 45K, 75K, etc are no longer applicable, since they can then do the coolant every 30K after that, which means 120K, 150K, etc. Why don't we move the timing belt replacement interval to line up with one of the coolant flush intervals? That way, they can keep the same coolant intervals if they replace the water pump at that time."

Again, pure conjecture on my part, but it seems plausible...

Back