• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tim's amazing wooden car.....huh?

I'm online one night just over a week ago, looking at the stuff in the Salvage Vehicles section on eBay, and came across something that made me scratch my head so hard that I bought it :D

This contraption started out life many years ago as a 1960 Nash Metropolitan. How it got to this day, in this form, is anybody's guess. It was sitting in a barn for over 20 years in its present condition, the body was made by an obviously insane craftsman, with seats out of a 60s Mustang. Whatever his dream was, I'm going to take it the rest of the way.....but how remainds to be seen ;)

Obviously, my boys are in LOVE with this thing, mine are the two blonde ones :). I'm going to bring my dad in on this one, who's retired and an outstanding woodworker, to make an inter-generational project out of this, and hopefully some kind of heirloom? Who knows.

Price: $75.40. I put in a half-baked bid on eBay on it, I never thought I'd actually win it :eek:

So, friends, give me some ideas on how to assemble this 21st century Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It's obvious that I'm going to have to do a bit of restyling on the front and perhaps the back, but the guy was such a craftsman with the way this body's made, I'd like to keep the back in natural wood, finished like a boat. But anything's possible :).

If nothing, this thread will provide a good laugh into the eccentric mind of yours truly :D

100_4667.jpg

100_4668.jpg

100_4669.jpg

All it needs is a paint job, unless you like the wood panel look.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This reminds me of the Splinter.:biggrin:

Attachments

• splinter-wooden-car-00.jpg
    splinter-wooden-car-00.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 202
Wide body kit...:biggrin:

Is that still registered as a Metropolitan? Can it be driven legally once you're done?

I'd sell the seats for $75.40 so you can break even. Then I'd paint it Red and put a roof on it. After that I'd cement it down in your backyard and let the kids play in it. I really don't think I'd feel safe driving it on the road.

I'd sell the seats for $75.40 so you can break even. Then I'd paint it Red and put a roof on it. After that I'd cement it down in your backyard and let the kids play in it. I really don't think I'd feel safe driving it on the road.
yep, part it out - that met engine may have some value - and use it as the beginning point for an, ahem, "nice" full motion race simulator ;)

I find it hard to believe that nobody said to lower it! ....So that's my suggestion!

looks like a homemade vw thing....I've seen worse cruising the twisting roads on many carribean islands...I would wrap it in a matte black...seems all the rage:tongue:

Is that still registered as a Metropolitan? Can it be driven legally once you're done?

It doesn't appear to have a VIN tag anywhere on it, I asssume that was lost with the shell. In NY, I should be able to register it as a homebuilt/kit car as long as I have proper paperwork as to where everything came from.

Or, it'd be a neat adult go-cart :)

Go for the weight reduction...Instead of CF, replace panels with balsa.

I like the stained wood idea. I think if you ripped off the front fenders, and covered them up with some decent plank wood, you could end up with the road going version of this:
es119.jpg

Updates?

Don't know how I missed this thread in the first place. But:
You could install some raised-panel doors on it ....
Or you could fab up a lot of sconces out of pvc, install on the sides, and then insert flowers, and Boom! Instant parade float. Seriously, I think if you just covered it up, it would be great for parades.:biggrin:

Back