• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tiny rust spec on trunk lid

Hi Everyone,

I washed my baby on the weekend. It's paint condition is immaculate.

However, I did notice a tinniest spec of rust on the trunk lid.

I know the car has never been in an accident and the lid has not been replaced.

I was a bit suprised as I thought the whole car is aluminium and we shouldn't see rust come through paint?

use a clay bar and pull the rust out. could something be dripping onto the car while its in the garage? or where ever its parked?

pics would help. there are some parts on the car that are metal and can rust but they are normally a nut/ bolt or a washer.

post a pic so we can tell you if its from something else.

rust spec huh....

I have one on my pickup truck. (only has 18k and is an 04) I am the original owner. I talked to several people/body shops and the consensus is that a metal spec/dust got into the clear during the paint process and that is what is showing the rust. mine is exactly a spec and if i didnt point it out no one would even know. its the size of an average dust particle/two together. I am just overly OCD with my vehicles so i know every inch of them.

post a pic of the rust you say you have.

Maybe it's a spec of metallic brake dust that stuck there and corroded? I know the rear of my car shows lots of black, dusty debris after even a short jaunt. I take the California duster to it, after I get it home.

Last edited:
I had to just even get a shot at night in my garage with the fluro on........as I know you guys need to see this rust spec on aluminium....haha.

Best shot I could take as the spec is quite small.

The coin I've used as comnparison (couldn't find my spare dimes....haha) is very similar to the size of a dime.

20120704220301large.jpg

This is from driving on the wrong side of the road.:tongue:

It is on the surface and not actually the panel rusting.
The longer you leave it on the deeper it may work into the finish.
A little clay as Shawn suggested should do the trick.

It might not be anything more than some weird Australian insect poop. :biggrin:

haha, we do have some weird animals/insects down under but I don't think any poop metal. :)

I've done some reading as as someone else mentioned above......brake dust material landing on car and then corroding?

Is the clay bar the best way to get rid of this?

haha, we do have some weird animals/insects down under but I don't think any poop metal. :)

I've done some reading as as someone else mentioned above......brake dust material landing on car and then corroding?

Is the clay bar the best way to get rid of this?

There may be no metal on there at all by now, just the residual rust from it sitting there. Feel it if it is still there and if it is, to avoid scratching the paint, try to lift it off. Rubbing could make a scratch.
Then just polish off the rust stain.
I know I said clay would work but you'd have to throw that piece out after and rubbing with clay that has a tiny piece of metal may make scratches.

This little flake of steel could have come from anywhere and just happened to land on your car by luck.

WD40 and a soft cloth may remove it. I'd try that first. If it is steel and you rub clay on it you may end up scratching the surrounding paint.

CLR is also worth a shot since it removes rust.

NO NO NO! Please don't use that! It will damage your paint!

I can't see what's wrong from here and if the metal is stuck in your paint or not.
If you can't get it out using your finger nail take it to a body shop or a detailer. They should see what it is going on and take it off without further damaging your finish. Whatever you do.... do not use that stuff! Read on, it says don't use it on paint. It is made to etch into bare metal and it will screw up your paint.

Thanks for making it clear. :)

I haven't had a good look at the bottle and I would hope that I would have read all the precautions............but my thanks is to you. ;)

So CLR is ok?

I will bring it into a paint shop and see what they think too.

Back