• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tips on neg. for a nsx

any one got some tips of getting a nsx for the best possible price?
im looking at one hopefully this weekend and would like to obviously get it for the best price i can, so any info would be great.

thanks guys

any one got some tips of getting a nsx for the best possible price?
im looking at one hopefully this weekend and would like to obviously get it for the best price i can, so any info would be great.

thanks guys

This isn't an accord you are buying, I'd worry a lot more about condition... and pay more for a good one rather than try to concentrate solely on price.

This isn't an accord you are buying, I'd worry a lot more about condition... and pay more for a good one rather than try to concentrate solely on price.

checking the car and ensuring the condition is ok is not my issue, i got that covered. talking price is not my strong point.

i would assess the care based on its condition, i def. would not pay good money for a poor condition nsx, but i also want to get a car thats in decet condition for the best possible price.

I do not currently own an NSX, but I am going to give you my feedback anyway since I am looking for the one that I want as well.

It took me 8 years to find the Supra that I wanted, yes 8 years. I couldn't find the year and color combo I wanted with low miles for that long. I took a trip 2,000 mile trip across the country to buy the car. So when you say you are looking to buy am NSX this weekend, it kinda seems like you're in too much of a rush.

When purchasing a vehicle that happens to be one of your dream cars don't rush it. It pays to know what you are looking at, looking for, and watch the used prices as compared to years and models to know what you can expect to pay for a certain combo.

I have been looking for an 05 black / black with low miles since I joined this forum 3 years ago, finally one is for sale and I'm away on business ready to lose my mind because it's probably going to sell before I get back. The person has it listed for 65,000 and although most people would consider that on the high side, it has 8,xxx miles on it and is basically brand new. That's a hell of a good deal if you ask me.

Price means nothing other than how much car you can afford. Spend more to get the history on the car, and a 1 owner vehicle if possible so you are more likely to get the truth.

To answer your question, ask the seller what their bottom line price is. If they say their price is firm, either buy it or keep looking - any big purchase is worth the wait to get exactly what you are looking for.

thank you for that info,

guess i was looking for advice in advance so if i am happy with i can get straight to the point.

thanks for the input

+++1 for the comment above

Just went through it....condition of the car is more important then price (with in reason) and the other BIG key if your buying from a private party...have CASH in your pocket...nothing works better when you can pull the trigger right there...it talks as they say Good luck!!!

PS without this site lol forget it! This is the best place to find out the real deal about NSX's and what to do and NOT to do...

The bottom line is it comes down to a strong understanding of the market dynamics. If you don't have that, then you're much less likely to get a good price. If you do have that, you'll find that negotiating becomes pretty easy -- you know how much the car is worth, you're making a fair market offer, and the seller can either take it or leave it.

I'd also agree with Turbo2Go's comments.... if you're trying to make a killing, the seller who is likely to accept your offer is someone who is selling something that is significantly worse than it appears. Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Last edited:
I do not currently own an NSX, but I am going to give you my feedback anyway since I am looking for the one that I want as well.

It took me 8 years to find the Supra that I wanted, yes 8 years. I couldn't find the year and color combo I wanted with low miles for that long. I took a trip 2,000 mile trip across the country to buy the car. So when you say you are looking to buy am NSX this weekend, it kinda seems like you're in too much of a rush.

When purchasing a vehicle that happens to be one of your dream cars don't rush it. It pays to know what you are looking at, looking for, and watch the used prices as compared to years and models to know what you can expect to pay for a certain combo.

I have been looking for an 05 black / black with low miles since I joined this forum 3 years ago, finally one is for sale and I'm away on business ready to lose my mind because it's probably going to sell before I get back. The person has it listed for 65,000 and although most people would consider that on the high side, it has 8,xxx miles on it and is basically brand new. That's a hell of a good deal if you ask me.

Price means nothing other than how much car you can afford. Spend more to get the history on the car, and a 1 owner vehicle if possible so you are more likely to get the truth.

To answer your question, ask the seller what their bottom line price is. If they say their price is firm, either buy it or keep looking - any big purchase is worth the wait to get exactly what you are looking for.

That b/b for $65k, is that the one in Fairfax, VA? If so - I'm more than willing to take a look at it for you since I live in Fairfax. I can take SEVERAL photos and report back if you would like.

But to follow along on this reply, it took me just over 2 years to find the right NSX for me. As you can tell, I joined this site in 2008 and I just bought my car this past Friday. I've done nothing but read, read, read and inquire on a few that have popped up here and there. I to flew across the country from Washington DC area to LAX to purchase from a dealer and ship the car back home.

I was initially looking for a 91-95 for the best price. Well, after looking and looking and wanting better condition - I'm ended up settling with a 2004. :)

It depends on how motivated the seller is. If he/she doesn't need to sell the car, then he/she is most likely not going to budge much on the price. Find out why they are selling and use that information accordingly.

Be sure to get as much documented maintenence history as possible. With out that assume that there is deferred maintenence. If the TB/WP hasn't been done within the last 6 yrs then that is a good reason to ask for a $1500-$1700 US price reduction. Basically use the things that need attention as bargaining chips with the seller to settle on a fair price.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Another point is be realistic with yourself. Are you financially capable of meeting what the seller is asking at all? Is this a car where the only way you could buy it is if he comes down to what you can afford? If yes, how far down is that?

I think the most important thing is to understand your own finances and the most you can possibly spend.

What happens a lot, I think, (in houses and cars), is someone has X to spend as a MAXIMUM. So they automatically start looking at X+30% thinking "well, people will come down". Then they search and search and search and get more and more annoyed.

Even in this market, I dont think someone is likely to come down more than maybe 10% or so (from what I've been observing), and even that is going to probably be a concession partially b/c there are things that need to be done like TB/WP.

If you are 20+% off this car, I would say no advice we can give is going to help.

Im in sales for a living. "Negotiation" as an art is really about understanding the market, understanding what YOU can afford, and then being realistic about what you are trying to buy. There is really no technique that will magically get you some kind of super steal. People know what they are selling.

I guess it depends on what the asking price is, what KBB is on it, what condition it is in and the maintenance records on it. If it says OBO on it you can always offer 5-10% less and expect to be considered. This is a buyers market and no matter what the seller says, they need the money for something that is forcing them to get rid of a luxory item. KBB value on the NSX has gone up fairly recently on these cars. That hurts your negotiating lately.

However, if nobody is buying the cars and you have cash in hand than you call the shots a little more.

I have sold two cars privately and honestly it sucks to do. I hate dealing with people coming over not knowing if they are serious and having to get low offers all the time. The reality is that is part of selling a car most often.

Your asking for advice about pricing on a car - that by now you've seen. You have given no idea of what year it is, how many miles are on it, what the overall condition is - so my point is that I guess you think we're all mind readers and have nothing better to do than give you a ton of possibly irrelevant feed back. You know questions like the one you are posing are so open ended as to make one wonder how serious you are about buying an NSX. There are loads of past threads dealing with this. There is a proposed price list available on this site. So unless you are more specific you are just waisting time. I don't get it?

Specific car = specific advice. Otherwise it's all conjecture and that's bs!

thank for the info guys,

ill be posting more specific in the australian section as the us market would be rather different.

thanks again

+1 to basically everything said above.

Obviously most people will advertise a car with a bit of cushion in their asking price, unless stated otherwise.

With these cars, documentation & maintenance are key. You apparently have the vehicle inspection portion covered (taking your word on that). So if the car is immaculate and well documented, and the asking price is reasonable for what your local market will support, any negotiation may be limited to, "so is that the best you can do"..."yup"...."ok, I'll take it" :).

Any money you "save" on skimped maintenance will come back around in multiples (ask me how I know :rolleyes:).

Just two more points... Personally, I think KBB or NADA are irrelevant for the NSX at this point. The value is purely determined by the market as there are very few of them and its a highly specialized car. Similar to any other classic.

Another point is it may be a buyers market, but that doesnt mean that every seller is having a fire sale.

I can tell you now coming off 6 mths of looking with cash in hand, that the market is not a lot different then it has been in the past.

This isnt the kind of car where you're going to get too many desperate sellers having fire sales. I found that on Vipers, 911s, NSXs, the Esprits I looked at, that 10% off was the absolute best that was going to happen.

Now keep in mind I was limiting myself to cars that I KNEW (and the owner knew) were REALLY clean. Not kidding myself pretending not to notice accident damage so I could get a "creampuff" for a steal. I must have looked at 30 or 40 cars before I settled on Patricks.

The reality is that a truly great car is probably not owned by someone who is desperate. Sure there are exceptions, but the car is most likely truly great because the person has the means and dedication to keep it that way. Unless they just had something catastrophic happen, the fact they happen to be selling in this particular market is just an unfortunate reality of timing. Lets not forget also that this recession is going on three years now. So at some point, even the most stable and wealthy person is going to just be selling a car b/c they want something new. Or like in Patricks case, normal life circumstances (kids, moving, retirement, etc) made selling something that would be better, but wasnt *mandatory*. They arent going to accept a raping b/c "times are tough". If times were THAT tough people wouldnt be selling NSXs to buy Ferraris ;)

Last edited:
Back