• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire size for 19" Volk's

Hey guys, anyone know whether or not you can go to a 275/40/19 in the rear without issues. Currently I have 275/30/19 and just thinking ahead when these wear out. Looking to have a bit softer ride in the rear.

Hey guys, anyone know whether or not you can go to a 275/40/19 in the rear without issues. Currently I have 275/30/19 and just thinking ahead when these wear out. Looking to have a bit softer ride in the rear.

What's the width?

19x9.5?

It is going to look ridiculous , not to mention the TCS issues.

This has been addressed a hundred times , you cannot change the outside diameter of the tire by more than +/- 3% or you will have TCS issues , not only this but a 275/35/19 or 275/40/19 are just WAY too big , I have seen a 275/35/19 on an NSX and it looks like a hotrod or a dragster , not a good thing.

I do agree that the 18/19 setup on a non lowered car is not so good either , for that matter 17/18 doesn't look much better if you don't lower the car either...

Last edited:
Yup. TCS will not work with 275/40-19. That size is over 11 percent (almost THREE INCHES!) larger in diameter than the stock rear tire size. Even 275/35-19 (about 7 percent larger) will not make the TCS happy. Stick with 275/30-19.

If you're looking for a softer ride, the way to accomplish that is to get smaller diameter wheels.

You could also buy the michelin PS2 , the softest riding tire in that size.

It's pretty simple , DON'T DO this.

The TCS will not function properly - that is not the worst of the problems , I would say that the ridiculous looks would be more of a factor.

If your rear tires are too big , the TCS will not be able to accurately monitor your wheel speed , and therefore it will not function properly.

Like I said , if you buy the Michelin PS2 , it will ride significantly smoother - even more so than most 18" rear tires - quieter too.

Another point I meant to make regarding the PS2 is that although the eagle F1 asymmetric is just as good in handling (and cheaper) it wears out twice as fast and is not as smooth riding, so in the end the PS2 may actually be worth the money.

Last edited:
OK, so if you went to the 275/35/19 the TCS will not be happy. What would be the syptoms of an unhappy TCS under these conditions?
It will activate and retard the engine power, like lifting off the accelerator pedal would. It does this because it thinks that the rear tires are not gripping, due to the rates of rotation, front vs rear, being different from what it expects.

Last edited:
Based on your pictures in the gallery, namely these ones:
DSCN1058.jpg

DSCN1059.jpg

It looks to me like you be running 225/35/18 fronts, is this true?

FWIW, DO NOT buy anything other than a 275/30/19 rear or a 265/30/19 rear. Buying any other size for those wheels will
1) not work with the TCS;
2) perform horribly if the TCS wasn't an issue;
3) look ridiculous, almost like a pro-drag racer because the back end would stick up;
4) be a costly (~$600) mistake

Last edited:
Angus, Thanks for the explanation, just wanted to get the facts. I also appreciate the tire recommendation. Currently running Hankooks 275/30/19.

Happa88, You are correct 225/35/18 in the front. When it becomes time to change the rears I will look for the 265/30/19 in a PS2.

Thanks for the feedbcak!

Angus, Thanks for the explanation, just wanted to get the facts. I also appreciate the tire recommendation. Currently running Hankooks 275/30/19.

Happa88, You are correct 225/35/18 in the front. When it becomes time to change the rears I will look for the 265/30/19 in a PS2.

Thanks for the feedbcak!

If that's the case, the fronts are the wrong size too. :redface: That's part of the reason why it looks like the rears need more rubber, because the fronts have too much! Going down to a 265/30/19 rear will just give you more problems in terms of looks and TCS issues.

I'll make some suggestions:
1) Replace the fronts with a 215/35/18. This is the correct sizing for TCS and fitment for the front on an NSX on an 18" wheel.
2) Replace the rears with a 275/30/19. This tire matches the front 215/35/18 for TCS issues.
3) Match the front and rear tires in both tire manufacturer and tire model. i.e. If you want to run PS2 in the rear, run the PS2 in the front
4) To fill the gap of the wheel well, lower the car. I'm not sure how many miles are on your car or stock suspension. If you're still running the stock suspension, most likely the struts need to be replaced anyway. A suggestion would be to get the Bilstein struts and put them on the lower perch (lowers about 7/8"). If it's too low for you, you can always put it back to the higher perch which is the factory height. You'll keep the stock springs, so overall the ride is the same stiffness, just more controlled.

Last edited:
Happa88,

Ok, so I have 275/30/19 on the rears now. I certainly can change the fronts to what you suggest as a 215/35/18. Lowering the car I am not convinced at this point. The car has 82K on it now and still feels pretty good for damping with respect to shocks.

This car is not a track car and since I have a Formula Mazda for the track I can't see that changing in the near future. I am looking to achieve a good riding, as quite as possible, good looking NSX. I don't need big exhaust noise. The noise I get from the intake is currently satisfactory.

I do however do not want to screw up the on board electronics and have appreciated very much the insight you and other posters have provided in this area.

OK - here is one last option and you can do it since I am running it without issues:

Michelin PS2 -

- 225/35/18 (THE ONLY REASON you can get away with this is that the PS2 is .2" shorter than other 225's!)

- 285/30/19 ( this will give you the SLIGHTLY larger sidewall you seek and still sqeaks in without too much difference)

As I said these are on my car with ZERO issue.

BE forewarned - the rears are HIDEOUSLY expensive...

If that's the case, the fronts are the wrong size too. :redface: That's part of the reason why it looks like the rears need more rubber, because the fronts have too much! Going down to a 265/30/19 rear will just give you more problems in terms of looks and TCS issues.

I'll make some suggestions:
1) Replace the fronts with a 215/35/18. This is the correct sizing for TCS and fitment for the front on an NSX on an 18" wheel.
2) Replace the rears with a 275/30/19. This tire matches the front 215/35/18 for TCS issues.
3) Match the front and rear tires in both tire manufacturer and tire model. i.e. If you want to run PS2 in the rear, run the PS2 in the front
4) To fill the gap of the wheel well, lower the car. I'm not sure how many miles are on your car or stock suspension. If you're still running the stock suspension, most likely the struts need to be replaced anyway. A suggestion would be to get the Bilstein struts and put them on the lower perch (lowers about 7/8"). If it's too low for you, you can always put it back to the higher perch which is the factory height. You'll keep the stock springs, so overall the ride is the same stiffness, just more controlled.
iagree.gif

The PS2 is not available in 215/35-18. However, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric is available in 215/35-18 and 275/30-19, and I strongly recommend it; it's an excellent all-around tire, comparable to the PS2 but not quite as expensive. Note that if you want to buy a set of four of the Goodyears from Tire Rack, you have to look up each of the two sizes separately and put each pair in your cart. That's because they carry different speed ratings (W and Y, both of which are higher ratings than the original stock tires on the NSX so that's not a problem) so if you search for both sizes at the same time, the Goodyear won't appear.

Yes , but the F1's do not ride as nice as the PS2 , I have both , the PS2 also lasts almost twice as long so it offsets the cost a bit.

The two do have very similar performance though, but since the F1's wear so much faster , I am eventually going back to PS2's!

As I said the PS2 is the only 225/35/18 that measures a bit shorter so you can get away without rubbing.

Im running 225/35/18 and 275/30/19 Nitto 555's no rubbing issues and my car is slammed.

Back