• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Tire wear update

I managed a little over 13K miles on my rear Yokohama ES100 tires....they will most likely need to be replaced in the next 1-2Kmiles

I have over 25K miles on the front with still more than 50% tread left.

I'm running the stock size 225/45/16 in front & 255/40/17 in rear and i have non-aggressive alignment settings.

sjones said:
I'm running the stock size 225/45/16 in front & 255/40/17 in rear and i have non-aggressive alignment settings.
Those aren't the stock sizes. :D

The Yokohama ES100 is a bargain, for its low purchase price as well as its long mileage. Traction and handling is not as good as most of the top-of-the-line tires on the market, but that's the trade off. We're using them on our Integra GS-R, for which that's perfect, but not on the two performance cars in the family. Excellent "bang for the buck" for those who don't care about getting the highest performance out of their cars.

Thanks for the update!

I have the same tires on mine with maybe 10K miles--great value, but they make more noise the older they get--pretty much like evey tire I buy for this car! I had Toyo T1S's prior to the Yokohama ES100's, and they made even more noise.

You are right, they do get loud as they get more wear on them.
On another note, TireRack is very quick. I just put my order in late tuesday night and these showed up early this morning.

DSC00974.JPG

Last edited:
sjones said:
TireRack is very quick. I just put my order in late tuesday night and these showed up early this morning.
That's twice as long as it takes them when I order tires. Must be a distance thing. ;)

What are the extra pair for? Your other car? Or do you have the training wheels option on your NSX? :D

nsxtasy said:
What are the extra pair for?
Quite reasonable to buy 3 pairs - 1 for the front and 2 for the rears so that the 2nd set for the rears is gone when the 1st for fronts is too. I would do the same if I were reasonable but of course with a different kind of tire :wink:

BTW: Isn't it "What is the extra pair for", Ken?

nsxtasy said:
.................What are the extra pair for? Your other car? Or do you have the training wheels option on your NSX? :D

hehe :biggrin: .... the extra rear are just spares since the rear wear out quicker than the front.

nsxtasy said:
That's twice as long as it takes them when I order tires. Must be a distance thing. ;)

What are the extra pair for? Your other car? Or do you have the training wheels option on your NSX? :D

Ken, like you, I thought that he must have the NSX with the "Duelie" option!!! :biggrin:

Incorrect Yoko's installed on fronts...

hmmm... I've been using ES100's on my stock phat-fivez (15/16), good treadlife, good rain/wet grip, adequate performance. Ther rears look to be nearly brand new despite having 6.5k miles under them.

However while I was away, I had the fronts replaced at Discount Tire and inadvertantly my father had all-season touring Yoko's put on. At highways speeds, there is a delayed steering response (perhaps due to softer sidewalls of the lower tier Yoko'). Barely a 100 or so miles have been put on the "new" fronts, as I've had them on for about a month or so (NSX was being serviced, hence not driven).

Does Discount Tire have anything in it's policy to accommodate such a faux paus :confused:

NSX-Racer said:
BTW: Isn't it "What is the extra pair for", Ken?
Yes. My error. (Incidentally, I had already been noticing your excellent English language skills. Are you sure you're not from an English-speaking country? ;) )

Osiris_x11 said:
However while I was away, I had the fronts replaced at Discount Tire and inadvertantly my father had all-season touring Yoko's put on. At highways speeds, there is a delayed steering response (perhaps due to softer sidewalls of the lower tier Yoko'). Barely a 100 or so miles have been put on the "new" fronts, as I've had them on for about a month or so (NSX was being serviced, hence not driven).

Does Discount Tire have anything in it's policy to accommodate such a faux paus :confused:
They should be happy to replace them with the correct tires (matching tires) at no charge to you. They never should have been installing mismatched tires unless you (or your father) were specifically requesting them.

nsxtasy said:
Incidentally, I had already been noticing your excellent English language skills. Are you sure you're not from an English-speaking country? ;) )
Thanks Ken, and no, I'm not sure I'm not from an english-speaking country. Germany is a kind of - I guess about 20% of the daily language (and 75% of the computer nerds language) here is english. Of course that must be because all the main and useful inventions on the world are from America as I just learned in another thread :biggrin:

Back