• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Took apart my broken visor

My 91's driver side visor wouldn't stay up and was split at the seam. As I could not find a replacement or, a shop offering to repair, I took it apart to see how it was made and may be fix it. FYI, the black leather case is just there to hold it up, for taking pictures.

Removed 2 Phillips screws which fastened it to the roof and it popped off easily.

vis-1.jpg

I was able to easily pull out the plastic, L shaped mounting bracket which mounts the visor to the roof (you must twist it around while pulling out). The bracket and the rod are one piece and made of plastic (ABS?). The rod itself is of a tapering, round shape but about an inch wide section at the end (which plugs into the visor) is notched flat. There is another, small notch at the other end of the rod which protrudes a bit. It's designed to keep the rod from coming out once you push it into visor body and twist into place.

vis-2.jpg

I used a kitchen knife to cut at the seam (a box cutter would be a better tool). The other end of the visor is pivoted to the roof using another, small plastic bracket. This bracket is attached to the visor with one small steel screw which screws directly into foam. This bracket also has a plastic guide pin, which plugs into a hole in the visor, to better secure it.

vis-3.jpg

The visor body seems to be molded out of some type of hard, foam type material. It’s then covered with a thin, vinyl film which seems glued on to the foam body.

vis-5.jpg

The receptacle into which the L shaped mounting bracket plugs into is made of steel. It was likely surrounded by foam during molding process. It was bonded to foam and I took extra effort to cut some foam & expose it. The metal receptacle has approx one inch wide U shaped spring steel clamp, which is riveted to it. There seemed an additional sheet of sticky foam type material between the molded foam and the clamp, which was gooey and hard to remove/clean.

vis-6-2.jpg

vis-6.jpg

One side of the U shaped clamp is flat and the other rounded, to match the notched/rounded shape on the mounting bracket rod. As you rotate the visor, the rod's flat, notched part would mate/match with the flat part of U shaped spring steel plate, thereby holding the visor in position, by pressure.

vis-7.jpg

I noticed that the clamp alone did not seem to have sufficient tension/strength to hold the visor up. It may have worn with age or, it needs the foam around it for additional strength. IMHO, the latter seems more likely the case. Is that probably why the visor generally splits near this area? Let me know what you guys think.

vis-8.jpg

The other, small notch in the mounting bracket rod is simply there to keep the rod in position once you push it in and twist into place.

vis-9.jpg

So there you have it. I'm positive I can’t fix this thing :biggrin: and IMHO it would be really hard and/or a lot of work for anyone to fix this piece. Is it a poor design and could have been made better? Feel free to comment.

Nice write up. Sense this is a common issue, I bet a lot of us would be interested in a fix. Repairing it would be futile. I think a "re-cover" may be the best option. I always wanted to make a vacuum form for the shape out of ABS. You could then use some sew-foam (maybe 3/8") to pad it out and make a slip on cover... Great another project to add to my list :biggrin:

Didn't Downforce make some tinted lexan ones? I think the upholstered ones would look better... another option at least.

Thanks for the write-up.

You couldn’t find a replacement for the part? Do they not sell them any more? That’s bad news if they don’t.

I don’t know how to address the not-staying-up problem. But it seems to me that you might be able to fix the bulging problem by removing the vinyl from the foam core, sanding the bulge down, put every thing back together and seal the seam with a vinyl repair kit.
Has anyone ever re-covered the visors with leather?

Perhaps we could mix-and-match and find a suitable replacement from another model? My old Civic ones might fit in a pinch. I'll have to compare.

Nice write up. Sense this is a common issue, I bet a lot of us would be interested in a fix. Repairing it would be futile. I think a "re-cover" may be the best option. I always wanted to make a vacuum form for the shape out of ABS. You could then use some sew-foam (maybe 3/8") to pad it out and make a slip on cover... Great another project to add to my list :biggrin:

Didn't Downforce make some tinted lexan ones? I think the upholstered ones would look better... another option at least.

Thanks VRooM. IMHO a re-cover will take care of split in the Vinyl covering. However if the foam is split (near where mounting bracket plugs into the visor) and caused the split in Vinyl covering, just a re-cover will probably not make the visor stay up. The Ivory color visors I want are not available anymore and half black (AKA grey) would not look good. Would love to hear about any other options though.

Last edited:
Great write-up. How does it look without any visor at all? Mine is falling too and it really pisses me off, especially when I'm wearing a hat (always). I was thinking about just removing it.

Last edited:
Thanks VRooM. IMHO a re-cover will take care of split in the Vinyl covering. However if the foam is split (near where mounting bracket plugs into the visor) and caused the split in Vinyl covering, just a re-cover will probably not make the visor stay up. I'm trying to find a black visor set right now. Ivory is not available anymore and half black (AKA grey) would not look good. Would love to hear about any other options though.

My idea was to attach the pivot to a new ABS plastic core then pad the core with foam and cover that. I realize just covering the existing foam would not work.

My wife always complains about the vanity mirror anyway. Would be cool to incorporate a late model vanity mirror/light as well.

Nice write up. My visors look identical to yours, both split in the same spot. Recovering them seems like the easy solution but as you mentioned, it seems that the split it caused by the tension needed to hold the rod in place so i'm not so sure that they wouldn't be prone to splitting again unless you used a much sturdier material and then you might run into a weight issue as far as the tension being able to support a visor of greater weight now?:confused:

Anyway you slice it these visors are piss poor imo.

I would like to see a vendor come up with some alternative visor options. Hell, even if someone would offer to recover them with a factory matched vinyl on an exchange basis i bet they would have more business than they could deal with. The visor split is probably a more common NSX problem than the window fix thingy's or the door handle thingy's and according to the op you can't even order these expensive visors from Acura anymore.

Some enterprising vendor needs to jump on this problem.:wink:

Great write-up. How does it look without any visor at all? Mine is falling too and it really pisses me off, especially when I'm wearing a hat (always). I was thinking about just removing it.

Not too bad I guess as it's hard to spot. Remove it and see how you personally like it, only take a couple of minutes to remove/install.

In my case however, not only I need/use it, I can't stand any missing, broken or non-working part/s on my car.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that thinks they'd still be useless even if recovered? The visors on my 91 stick down so far I can't see more than 10' in front of my car with it down. If I took them apart I'd have to shave off at least 3 inches of visor to make it usable.

Can you put some plastic zip ties around the U-clamp to apply more "tension" on the rod?

From your diagrams it appears you could either a zip tie oriented perpindicularly to the roof mounting rod or one oriented parallel to the rod around the open end of the clamp.

Can you put some plastic zip ties around the U-clamp to apply more "tension" on the rod?

From your diagrams it appears you could either a zip tie oriented perpindicularly to the roof mounting rod or one oriented parallel to the rod around the open end of the clamp.

Thanks for your suggestion.

If you look at the first pic below, there is no hole for the zip tie to go through. Plus you must remove more foam from a larger area then drill hole/s in the exposed steel plate. It would be more difficult to fill in the missing foam and re-cover properly. The foam is really tough and must be cut & pried off the steel plate.

vis-16.jpg

The option shown below requires much less cutting and may just work. Just cut enough to expose the clamp opening which is near the edge of the visor, tie up and re-cover. Too late for me to try that :frown:. May be someone could try and let us know how well it may work.

vis-17.jpg

lets see how many ppl wants a set coz i'm sure the price will be cheaper if more then 1 ......plus i don't want to make too many trips there coz it's not an easy place to get to

lets see how many ppl wants a set coz i'm sure the price will be cheaper if more then 1 ......plus i don't want to make too many trips there coz it's not an easy place to get to

If you could get all 6 sets I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to get rid of them all (driver's side at least).

I'll take a grey driver's side!

Last edited:
I'll take a driver's and passenger's in gray if possible.:smile: My car is a '91 (not a targa). I think the visors are different for those.

Last edited:
Why not just buy a black OEM replacement visor in good working order and cover it with matching grey, ivory, or tan leather? I would imagine any decent auto upholstery shop could do this for not too much money.

Just a thought.

Uhh, anybody thought about just replacing it with a visor from another honda. They cant be that different.

For whatever it's worth, I took another peek at the visor and I think I've found the reason why it failed in the first place.

First I pushed the clamp out of it's metal plate receptacle. There are 2 small, square holes on each side of the receptacle plate and the clamp has 2 small notches on each side, which snap it into the receptacle. To remove the clamp, I pried open the metal plate a bit and pulled it out.

vis-20.jpg

The center of the clamp is riveted which keep both sides tight together and creates enough tension or, clamping force to hold the visor in place. I found this rivet was broken. The picture above shows the broken side of the rivet.

vis-21.jpg

The pictuer above shows the other side of the rivet.

With the rivet broken, the clamp no longer had enough tension/strength to hold the visor up. This also likely caused the buldge which split the visor . So it seems the fix is to remove the clamp, replace the rivet and reassemble (if possible).

vis-23.jpg

Back