• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Torn CV Boot

While removing the rear strut, I tore my CV boot.
mad.gif
Man, now I wish I just spent the money and had it done for me. I have a few questions.

1) Since I still have the rear strut out, should I go ahead and fix the CV boot?

2) Should I put my replacement strut in and then repair the CV boot?

----------------
'91 Red/Ivory (Sold)
'96 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Option2 (edited 28 June 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Option2 (edited 28 June 2002).]

I damaged mine the same way some years back. Unfortunately, replacing the CV boot means removing the axle.

I did repair mine on the car with some difficulty. I used many thin layers of self-vulcanizing liquid rubber. Be patient and apply many layers to build it up.

If you drive it too soon, the centrifugal force will force the joint grease out and re-open your tear. Keep an eye on the area around the CV boot for grease spray until you are sure it is adequately repaired.

JSG,
How well did the self-vulcanizing liquid rubber hold up? Are you still running with the same repaired CV boot? Also, where can I get it?

I did the same thing. I bought black liquid silicone sealant and applied around 4 coats, relatively thick, but I allowed it to dry in between each coat. This was 5K miles ago with some pretty high speed driving and no problems. A lot cheaper and easier than changing the whole boot.

Tim

I have never use those liquid rubber thing. But I imagine you would not be able to pack the grease in there, or it will be spewing out from the boot while waiting for the rubber to cure.

Remember, the grease is what important. I hate to see someone break their axle, in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention it could be a safety issues as well.

Some are worth the risk, some are not.

Back