• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Torque wrenches, what ya got?

Just bought the Craftsman 3/8 torque wrench that reads from 10-75 foot/lbs. I was going to get 1/2 drive one and that reads from 20-120 foot/lbs I think.
I got 3/8n drive since I think I will be using that torque more but no sure.

So my question is, what torque ranges are commonly used in the NSX? If I have to I can exchange it since I just bought it today.

Snap On 3/8 TQFR 100 (20-100lbs)
Snap On 1/2 TQFR 250 (50-250lbs)

Don't remember what I paid as I bought it 20 years ago.

Beam style and preset(click when set torque is achieved), 1/4 screwdriver style &beam(inch lbs),3/8 click(60lbs), 1/2 beam& click style up to 250 lbs. 3/4 lineage gauge up to 600ft lbs , snap-on, s&k,craftsman . It's interesting to note in my 97 nsx manual& Honda pilot manual ,they recommend a beam style to torque head bolts . They want torque brought up in set increments as opposed to just setting the torque wrench to a spec . This is the way it should be done ,Iguess they feel techs just set the spec and go.

Last edited:
I have a Harbor Freight one.
Currently on sale for $19 (or if you have Road & Track there's a coupon for only $9.99 :eek::eek: each).

Accuracy is +/- 4% which is exactly the same (or better) than that $500 digital one.
Oh, and the Harbor Freight has a Lifetime Warranty too.

And the one I got came with a protective case.

It's pretty much a no-brainer.

1/4" which is 20 to 200 inch pounds
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-2696.html

3/8" which is 5 to 80 ft. lbs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-807.html

1/2" which is 20 to 150 ft. lbs
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-239.html

DonnasStuffMore_1_bcfa6c.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on the harbor freight, I pick up the 1/2 and 3/8 both for $20 plus a free led flash light with coupon. They work great

I actually bought a harbor freight one the other day on sale for 12.99 with coupon. I then saw craftman had theirs on sale for $39.99 so I bought it with intention to return harbor freight one.

But if theyre ok and tolerance is close to craft man then maybe I will return craftman and keep harbor freight one.

I actually bought a harbor freight one the other day on sale for 12.99 with coupon. I then saw craftman had theirs on sale for $39.99 so I bought it with intention to return harbor freight one.

But if theyre ok and tolerance is close to craft man then maybe I will return craftman and keep harbor freight one.

Well, I think of it this way... if you get the $9.99 coupon, you can get 4 Harbor Freights for the price of 1 Craftsman. They're so cheap, I keep on in each of my cars.

All the Harbor Freights have Lifetime Warranties... always good to have an extra torque wrench lying around, just in case you need to be something with it. :tongue:

craftman is also +-4% tolerance but seems like issue with HF tools is breaking or not clicking when torque is reached.

Lifetime warranty... plus you have 3 other torque wrenches (since I know you'll buy 4 with all the money you saved) to use if 1 of them breaks or stops clicking. :biggrin:

Alright, enough teasing... it's your money but don't come to me when you forget your torque wrench at home.:smile:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight Tools as I have a few of there tools too. Only if HFT was around 20 years ago.

My first set of tools I bought from Fedco was Alltrade. I say buy what you like!

My father was a mechanic for most of his life:
He left me these.
Roto: 1/4" driver style 6 in-lb
Roto: 3/8" ratchet 15 in-lb
Snap-on 3/8" ratchet 80 ft-lb
Britool 1/2" 140 ft-lb
Proto 3/4" ratchet 300 ft-lb (spindle nuts and crank pulleys) 3' long

when not using / storing a torque wrench, back off the adjustment so no tension is on the spring. only set it when you are to use it.
accuracy is everything.

thanks Dad!

there was one more, bigger yet, but I sold it on ebay.

Last edited:
UTICA - http://www.apexpowertools.com/catalog_pdf/pdf_pages/SP301EN_Click.pdf
SNAP ON - http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/search_keyword.asp?keyword=Torque+Wrench
ARMSTRONG - http://www.armstrongtools.com/clientextensions/danaher/pages/default.aspx

Personally I bought a ARMSTRONG model 64-081 and that covers most of the larger hardware torque. I bought a snap on but I don't really remember the model number. It's for the lower ranges I know. If I could choose one company to go with it in the future it would be UTICA because their torque wrenches are comfortable to use additionally they have so many swappable heads for any type of job.

Last edited:
1. An old Snap-On 3/8 drive beam type in inch-pounds.

2. A Craftsman 1/2 drive clicker type in ft/lbs.

3. A big-a$$ Harbor Freight 3/4 drive, reads to 450 ft/lbs. Bought that one for torquing 911 rear axle nuts :>

NSX owners and HF? LOL

Come on folks. Snap On is the best for the NSX. Accurate and reliable.

That's why car shops all over use them to TQ wheel nuts.

Ya'll think they would be running a business with subpar TR?

You have money to burn.
I do like the snap on digital wrench but it is costly.

Proto and Bonny are of same quality not as costly.
Harbor is Junk.

NSX owners and HF? LOL

Come on folks. Snap On is the best for the NSX. Accurate and reliable.

If a product offers +/- 4%, has a lifetime warranty and costs $302
VS a product offers +/- 4%, has a lifetime warranty and costs $10

hmm.. sounds like you got too much money and have no where to spend it! :tongue:

That's why car shops all over use them to TQ wheel nuts.

Ya'll think they would be running a business with subpar TR?

We're not running a business, we're just torquing our wheels down. :smile:

OK OK..... at least settle for the cheapest priced version from Snap On.

The last time some wheel shop didn't TQ my wheels properly was when it came off (good thing I was just going at 15MPH and about to merge on the freeway from the shoulder) and my wheel came right off and down the cliff.

I sent my friend to go fetch across a busy freeway. LOL

To this day I really dunno what he was thinking or how I influenced his brain to go down a cliff to fetch a wheel sporting 275/35/18 tire. LOL

Just bought the Craftsman 3/8 torque wrench that reads from 10-75 foot/lbs. QUOTE]

That will work fine for most of the nuts and bolts. You will need another one for lug nuts (80 lb/ft) and for the CV axel nuts (242 lb/ft). It really takes two to cover 99% of the stuff on an NSX.

If you see a SNAP-ON tool truck ask them if you can check the calibration on your wrench. The latest info on SNAP-ON wrenches is to store them set around 10% or their range. So, your 10-75 wrench should be stored around 20 lb/ft. Don't ever take it BELOW 10 lb/ft.

Brad

Just bought the Craftsman 3/8 torque wrench that reads from 10-75 foot/lbs. QUOTE]

That will work fine for most of the nuts and bolts. You will need another one for lug nuts (80 lb/ft) and for the CV axel nuts (242 lb/ft). It really takes two to cover 99% of the stuff on an NSX.

If you see a SNAP-ON tool truck ask them if you can check the calibration on your wrench. The latest info on SNAP-ON wrenches is to store them set around 10% or their range. So, your 10-75 wrench should be stored around 20 lb/ft. Don't ever take it BELOW 10 lb/ft.

Brad

Thanks for that info. Besides the craftman, I also have the Tru Craft Torque Wrench that is a beams style (the one that has a dial) that reads to 140 ft/lbs. So since I have those two I guess all I need next is a 1/2" drive that reads to the mid 200's?

Last edited:
Back