• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Torque wrenches, what ya got?

Thanks for that info. Besides the craftman, I also have the Tru Craft Torque Wrench that is a beams style (the one that has a dial) that reads to 140 ft/lbs. So since I have those two I guess all I need next is a 1/2" drive that reads to the mid 200's?

Are you just buying torque wrenches for the future possible jobs?

What items on the NSX need a mid 200 ft-lb torque? Seems like there would be very few items that should be torqued that high with all the aluminum used in our cars..

The last time some wheel shop didn't TQ my wheels properly was when it came off (good thing I was just going at 15MPH and about to merge on the freeway from the shoulder) and my wheel came right off and down the cliff.

I sent my friend to go fetch across a busy freeway. LOL

Man, if you got friends like that then there's definitely NO REASON to buy an expensive torque wrench!!! Haha

Free labor only a phone call away? CHECK! :biggrin:

Snap-On is overkill for any thing short of commercial application or a serious enthusiast. OTOH, HF is on the complete other spectrum. Personally, I've had too many HF tools fail and don't need anecdotal evidence to convince me otherwise.

Find the happy medium. There was a vendor here a while ago that was selling digital TQ wrenches that looked like an excellent buy.

Are you just buying torque wrenches for the future possible jobs?

What items on the NSX need a mid 200 ft-lb torque? Seems like there would be very few items that should be torqued that high with all the aluminum used in our cars..
I like to have a good collection of tools. I do all the work on my cars myself and having the right tools available saves a lot of hassle on time (and pay for themselves by doing my own work).

Man, if you got friends like that then there's definitely NO REASON to buy an expensive torque wrench!!! Haha

Free labor only a phone call away? CHECK! :biggrin:

A GTO rear brake duct is $400!??!?!?

That was one of the parts that was damaged when the wheel came off and landed on the ground.

I was minutes from going to open up my 550rwhp on the freeway.

I like to have a good collection of tools. I do all the work on my cars myself and having the right tools available saves a lot of hassle on time (and pay for themselves by doing my own work).

Totally understand that! I hate making multiple runs to the autostore for different tools.
Anyway I'd just look through the NSX shop manual and see if you really need one. I glanced through it and the highest torque I saw was ~116 ft-lbs for the countershaft assembly inside the transmission.. I would never take on that job personally but I don't have my own garage and it's a job that's definitely above me..

The 3/8 torque wrench should be sufficient for most task. You'll likely be working with 3/8 sockets for most of your tasks and it makes switching socket between gun/ratchet to torque wrench more managable.

But it's always good to eventually have a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 torque wrench.

The 1/2 wrench will be useful for lug nuts, suspension, and drivetrain tasks.

The 1/4 is useful for areas where space is limited (NSX is notorious for limited space). The 1/4 is also useful for valve covers, oil pan, and smaller 8mm and 10mm bolts.

Back