• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Total Cost of Ownership: NSX vs MZ4 vs Boxster S

I'm looking at these three cars in the $45K - $55K price range. Besides the initial cost, how would you rate these at least expensive to own? Take into account gas mileage (12K miles a year), service costs (labor rates), routine maintenance, and anything else I'm missing? Assume all are out of warranty.

I'm a former S2000 owner and really enjoy having a convertible, but the NSX has always been one of my favorite cars.

You should also consider depreciation.

As far as depreciation, the Porsche and NSX due pretty well, and the BMW MZ4 I'd either buy new heavily discounted or look around for a preowned.

I'd like to own this next car for as long as possible, but I don't want something that's going to be a money pit either.

As far as depreciation, the Porsche and NSX due pretty well, and the BMW MZ4 I'd either buy new heavily discounted or look around for a preowned.

I'd like to own this next car for as long as possible, but I don't want something that's going to be a money pit either.

IMHO you are going about this all wrong. If you are truly worried about these things then you should drive a Civic Si. Seriously.

IMHO you are going about this all wrong. If you are truly worried about these things then you should drive a Civic Si. Seriously.

I'm not sure I agree with you. It is perfectly reasonable to consider practical issues when considering the NSX. After all - Honda decided that it would be a good thing if the car was reliable and not finicky.

For the OP:

- gas mileage is good. I get 23-ish in commutes. I once got 29 MPG. You do the math to figure this out.
- the NSX doesn't need a bunch of maintenance. 2-3 oil changes per year with synthetic. Rear tires - 2 pairs every 3 years. You might need a TB/WP once in 7 years or 105,000 miles. That's $1600 or so.
- labor rates are comparable to other high end cars.

I know a Porsche guy, talk to him pretty often. He is always going on about wanting a 911 to work on, about how there are so many performance parts available, and how so many parts can be swapped from one year to another.

Every time he goes on one of these rants about how great the 911 is, he ends up thinking about cost of all those parts, and cost of maintenance, and talks himself out of it. Apparently, Porsche mechanics aren't cheap.

For what it's worth, he now drives an S2000. Used to have a 944 turbo, but he said the maintenance bills didn't justify the extra power.

Nick

Thanks for the replies. I understand I'm buying a sports car and in the case of the NSX a rare/exotic car.

Sure coming from the S2000 I was used to Honda reliability, etc. I loved the car during the time I had it (owened two on seperate occasions), and now can afford more car. Beside the NSX I find my self looking at an M series Z4 and a Porsche, these three cars are right around the same price points.

Are those more costly vehicles to maintain? There are so many on this board that have owned the cars I'm talking about or similar, M3, 986, 911, etc.

Yeah I want to drive it everyday, so an average of 23 mpg non-aggresive driving sounds great. Does the NSX have outrageous parts/labor costs? Outrageous being more than the BMW and Porsche brands? I really wanted to know how it compares to BMW and Porsche cost of ownership?

Here is the deal, I have both early and late NSXs as well as early and late S2ks.

If you are looking for a early car, even if the car is clean, there will be little stuff that will go wrong, and is not cheap when compare to Civic/S2k!!! Start with the basic T Belt and 30k service, you are talking about 2 to 3 times the price of S2k. Engine is always reliable. look around the forum and you will see the common problems with the NSX.

You cannot buy an NSX and don't have extra cash aside in case of emergency. If that is going to be your only car, and you drive it daily with lots potential miles, it may be a great daily driver, but it will not be cost effective. I own a 2003, closer to the expiration date of my Honda care, less I drive my car. That is why I bought my third S2k as a daily driver.

Regardless, my technician always tells me that even at a higher service rate, it is still cheaper than Bmer and Boxter.

I think the MZ4 has been beaten with the ugly stick a few times. The Boxter S is an awesome car with zero exclusivity unless you consider the "S" on the trunk as "exclusive". Neither has the seating position of the NSX, neither maintains its value nearly as well, neither is remotely as reliable especially long term. Nevermind an all-aluminum body and chassis that will never rust.

Look, these are nice cars. I am not knocking them. If the NSX did not exist, I might be driving one. But it does, and it's a whole world better than both of those cars if you take it all into consideration. Do yourself a favor and just get the NSX.

I was driving with the top off tonight loving the sounds of the car. I get to a stoplight and I usually don't look over. I hear this "what is that?" in a female voice. I turn and there are 2 very attractive women in the car and she looks at me, smiles, and says "I really like it, whatever it is". I didn't buy the NSX for this, but go see how many of those you get in a Boxter. Its image from people I talk to (and wrongly so) is "its the cheap porsche". At least the NSX has no image because most people don't even know what it is. People pay a lot of money for exclusivity. It comes free with the NSX.

If you need to worry about a "cost to own", worry about how you will start modding your NSX after you own it. As an FYI, for the last 5 years of its life Intellichoice had the NSX as its top rated sports car based on "cost of ownership". This car is an anomoly that will never happen again.

People pay a lot of money for exclusivity. It comes free with the NSX.

This car is an anomaly that will never happen again.

2 sentences i'll save for later...i'll add them to Ski's on my avatar :wink:

i think i'll create a file with NSX excelent taglines :wink:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

2 sentences i'll save for later...i'll add them to Ski's on my avatar :wink:

i think i'll create a file with NSX excelent taglines :wink:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You will need to pay a royalty please... I also accept Carbon Fiber parts as payment. :biggrin:

You should also consider depreciation.

You should also consider how ghey you'll look driving around in a Z4 which looks like a clown's shoe or a Boxster which is a JAP's Miata.

How can you look at an NSX then look at those two monstrosities and actually still consider buying them?

Then NSX for you. For me, it's not a very good daily driver, too small, too much attention, too much worry. But it's not going to break, will beat all those cars hands down in depreciation (esp. the porsche).

I'm looking at these three cars in the $45K - $55K price range. Besides the initial cost, how would you rate these at least expensive to own? Take into account gas mileage (12K miles a year), service costs (labor rates), routine maintenance, and anything else I'm missing? Assume all are out of warranty.

I'm a former S2000 owner and really enjoy having a convertible, but the NSX has always been one of my favorite cars.

The Nsx is hand made and has more attention to detail and is an exotic.

The Porsche has a warranty but out of warranty you could encounter engine failure.

There is nothing special about the Z4.

Greetings

Here are the costs of ownership for a Boxster for 5 years from automotive.com

YEAR 1 YEAR 2 YEAR 3 YEAR 4 YEAR 5 5 YR TOTAL
Depreciation $4,294 $3,952 $3,631 $3,564 $3,595 $19,036
Financing $1,806 $1,445 $1,064 $662 $238 $5,215
Insurance $2,113 $2,113 $2,113 $2,113 $2,113 $10,565
State Fees $184 $145 $131 $116 $113 $689
Fuel $997 $1,022 $1,047 $1,074 $1,100 $5,240
Maintenance $198 $381 $1,233 $492 $1,252 $3,556
Repairs N/A N/A N/A $501 $1,503 $2,004
Cost Per Year $9,592 $9,058 $9,219 $8,522 $9,914 $46,305

Here are the costs of ownership for a Z4 for 5 years from automotive.com

BMW Z4 Costs of Ownership
Depreciation $4,967 $3,298 $2,956 $2,853 $2,861 $16,935
Financing $1,509 $1,207 $889 $553 $199 $4,357
Insurance $1,672 $1,672 $1,672 $1,672 $1,672 $8,360
State Fees $155 $121 $110 $98 $96 $580
Fuel $1,015 $1,040 $1,066 $1,093 $1,120 $5,334
Maintenance N/A N/A N/A $729 $1,561 $2,290
Repairs N/A N/A N/A $340 $1,021 $1,361
Cost Per Year $9,318 $7,338 $6,693 $7,338 $8,530 $39,217

The only NSX data I found searching is here on Prime.

Cheers,
Martin

Greetings

Here are the costs of ownership for a Boxster for 5 years from automotive.com

Depreciation $4,294 $3,952 $3,631 $3,564 $3,595 $19,036
Financing $1,806 $1,445 $1,064 $662 $238 $5,215
Insurance $2,113 $2,113 $2,113 $2,113 $2,113 $10,565
State Fees $184 $145 $131 $116 $113 $689
Fuel $997 $1,022 $1,047 $1,074 $1,100 $5,240
Maintenance $198 $381 $1,233 $492 $1,252 $3,556
Repairs N/A N/A N/A $501 $1,503 $2,004
Cost Per Year $9,592 $9,058 $9,219 $8,522 $9,914 $46,305

Here are the costs of ownership for a Z4 for 5 years from automotive.com

BMW Z4 Costs of Ownership
Depreciation $4,967 $3,298 $2,956 $2,853 $2,861 $16,935
Financing $1,509 $1,207 $889 $553 $199 $4,357
Insurance $1,672 $1,672 $1,672 $1,672 $1,672 $8,360
State Fees $155 $121 $110 $98 $96 $580
Fuel $1,015 $1,040 $1,066 $1,093 $1,120 $5,334
Maintenance N/A N/A N/A $729 $1,561 $2,290
Repairs N/A N/A N/A $340 $1,021 $1,361
Cost Per Year $9,318 $7,338 $6,693 $7,338 $8,530 $39,217

The only NSX data I found searching is here on Prime.

Cheers,
Martin

Nice find. Did you come up with your own calculations using the NSX?

The Boxster S is a good alternative to the NSX if you're into top down motoring. The car is quiet at highway speeds top down. With the side windows up at 65 mph you can have a normal conversation at normal voice levels. The only thing I hate about the nsx is highway wind roar when tops are removed. It's useless.

Other than that, the new Boxster would also give the nsx a run for it's money on the track. Brakes are better, handling is awesome, and with the top down it looks super sweet imo.

Having said that, the nsx is a one of a kind masterpiece, and perhaps a collectors item.

The Boxster S is a good alternative to the NSX if you're into top down motoring. The car is quiet at highway speeds top down. With the side windows up at 65 mph you can have a normal conversation at normal voice levels. The only thing I hate about the nsx is highway wind roar when tops are removed. It's useless.

Other than that, the new Boxster would also give the nsx a run for it's money on the track. Brakes are better, handling is awesome, and with the top down it looks super sweet imo.

Having said that, the nsx is a one of a kind masterpiece, and perhaps a collectors item.

I like the Boxter S alot and wouldn't mind owning one, if it there were not for so many engine failures.

The Boxter S posted a time of 8:32 at Nordschleife while an NSX 8:38 in standard trim, with minor suspension mods and few delets such as the NSX-R it posted a 8:03. Though I agree the brakes are better on the S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_fastest_lap_times

Are those engine failures you're referring to possibly the previous generation engine? The new Boxster S has the 3.4 Carrera engine.

The original 2.5 Boxster engine suffered coolant and oil loss due to a poor casting of the case. This was found to be in a "run" of engines that have by now been replaced.
Were I to buy a Boxster I wouldn't consider the 2.5 as it is an anemic example. You'd be much better served by a 3.2 S. The year of the body change was around 2005 so a 2004 should be had on the cheap. There were dealers caught with leftovers that eventually went for up to $20K off list.
The best car they make for the money is the Cayman S. This car handles better than the Boxster but loaded up approaches 997 money.
So, what do you really want? Boxsters are a dime a dozen.

Tom

Are those engine failures you're referring to possibly the previous generation engine? The new Boxster S has the 3.4 Carrera engine.

911 motors have also had porous mixture and rms issues.

Friends 06 S motor also had engine failure as did friends 03 996, I know of 5 people now with engine failures coincidence not IMO.

+1...

I live in Dubai (Porsche capital of the World IMO) and engine failures are commonly known about in the 996 realm...

Greetings

Drive a Boxster and a 911 (any flavor) on a curvy road. Feel the front end not want to go around the corners when you power of of the turn -- especially on a turbo 911. The front end becomes light with a rear engine car.

Now, drive a Cayman and your NSX -- the mid engine design makes the handling way different. That is why I did not drive a Porsche before buying my NSX. Cayman's are rare Porsche's, but still very common here in Silicon Valley.

Cheers,
Martin

Greetings

Drive a Boxster and a 911 (any flavor) on a curvy road. Feel the front end not want to go around the corners when you power of of the turn -- especially on a turbo 911. The front end becomes light with a rear engine car.

Now, drive a Cayman and your NSX -- the mid engine design makes the handling way different. That is why I did not drive a Porsche before buying my NSX. Cayman's are rare Porsche's, but still very common here in Silicon Valley.

Cheers,
Martin

Check facts. The Boxster and Cayman are the same car. Both mid engine.

Back