• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

track session duration

How long should each session be on a track day? 20 mins? 30mins? 45mins? even 1 hour maybe? What's considered healthy, not damaging to the nsx?

Although I don't claim to be an expert in such matters, I find that 30 minutes is about it for me. Concentration can start to wane and mistakes are made.

If you're asking this because you want to organize an event: I would make sessions with at least 45 minutes per group. Although the net time for each car on the track would not exceed 30 minutes typically you would let some time to pit the car for some minutes (checking issues like tire pressure, bolts, camera, water for driver and car etc.) and you would have some headroom for red flag phases, clearing the track before the next group starts etc.

If you're asking that only as a driver it all depends on the state of your condition and the car. A well maintained NSX with full gas tank, race tires, P-brakes (from Mov'it or whatever) and race brake fluid is capable of running 1 hour on the track without problems - the European NSX trophy used to make a 1 hour race at Spa (with a 5 minute pit stop - more for the driver than the car).

There are no issues of damage to the NSX. As Mark notes, the big concern is how long a driver can keep his concentration.

All of the groups that I am familiar with run sessions of 20-30 minutes, never more than that.

I agree with Ken on sessions for the body = 20-30 min. I see that some above said over an hour, but I am sure that the pace was NOT consistant throughout that entire period.

The NSX, as well as a few other sports cars, have brake pad capacity for an hour of race pace, but MANY do NOT! In my turbo Integra, I had Wilwood 4-piston calipers w/ 13" rotors, and I would take a brand new set of pads (no matter what brand) to zero in 35 minutes. This is "instructor" pace, NOT touring or novice. My NSX pads last about 90 min. So just because a few cars could make it an hour, most cars, minds, and bodies will be maxed at 30 min sessions.

T Bell, you got to see me run an Enduro. 1 hr 15 min stint is nothing. Especially if the car has power steering. Without power steering I can stay 1.5 hrs consistant. If you can't go over 30 minutes with ease, I think you should start thinking of working out ;)

My P-car equipped NSX ran flawlessly for over 1 hr. And there still plenty of pads left.

Andrie Hartanto said:
Especially if the car has power steering. Without power steering I can stay 1.5 hrs consistant.

Assuming that also the PS versions of our car have no PS above a certain speed does that really make a difference on the track? (I make no work outs and drive a PS car) :wink:

I am assuming the question was about the track session length that is typical for an HPDE event (drivers school), not an enduro race (or Andrie's favorite sport, "bench racing" :D ).

The DON said:
I simply just want to know how much abuse can the nsx take on track :biggrin:

It depends on what your definition of "abuse" is.

If you truly mean abuse, then the NSX can't take much. You'll spend a small fortune putting the car back together after each event and if you skimp there, it'll simply lead to an even greater failure rate at future events.

If by "abuse" you actually mean use (which is what most guys doing DE's mean), then the NSX will hold up quite well and you really only need to worry about changing pads/rotors/brake fluid to keep her going.

As you can infer from the responses,it will be you that is the weak link in hpde.I agree, 20-30 min is all the average joe can drive afterwhich the sloppy facter increases,unless you work at it like Andrie!As far as wear and tear on the car the session time is less important than the overall cumulative time spent on track per season.You must allow for a greater frequency of replacing consumable items:brake pads,fluids,tires,fuel ect.

I guess I shouldn't have used the word 'abuse'. Track use is a better description.

Consumables like fluids, pads, rotors, fuel filters, etc, are expected. I'm more concern about the other stuff like engine, cooling system, axles, control arms, ball joints, continuous body flex/twist, etc etc.

lets see,I am tough on equipment,But after about 4 seasons and 4500 miles of track I needed to replace the front A-arm spindle joints,both rear axles and hubs(I had locked up drivers side rear brake which cooked the hub)My axle nuts were loosening as well.I have big front brakes and have heat shields removed.I have non compliance pieces for rear susp,and have had to replace the toe link pivots.Also have had leaky cam seales due to worn out gaskets,(common problems)I have also replaced the brake master cylinder due to leaking.Then again Ken who tracks more than I do has only had routine stuff done,without replacing suspension bits.

Maybe at xpo this year we can bring motorized Benches or bar stools and really "bench race" :tongue:

If you flirt with the curbing in corners (some of which is very rough and washboard-like) then be prepared to have additional work done on the suspension members. That habit will also cost you in terms of alignments. Ask me how I know?

Brian Bailey said:
the NSX will hold up quite well and you really only need to worry about changing pads/rotors/brake fluid to keep her going.
And tires, and tires, and tires... :D

The DON said:
Consumables like fluids, pads, rotors, fuel filters, etc, are expected.
And tires, and tires, and tires... :D

Fuel filters? :confused: Track driving doesn't consume those any faster than street driving.

docjohn said:
lets see,I am tough on equipment,But after about 4 seasons and 4500 miles of track I needed to replace the front A-arm spindle joints,both rear axles and hubs(I had locked up drivers side rear brake which cooked the hub)My axle nuts were loosening as well.I have big front brakes and have heat shields removed.I have non compliance pieces for rear susp,and have had to replace the toe link pivots.Also have had leaky cam seales due to worn out gaskets,(common problems)I have also replaced the brake master cylinder due to leaking.Then again Ken who tracks more than I do has only had routine stuff done,without replacing suspension bits.
Ummm... except for replacing the rear ball joints (this past year), and one wheel bearing, and tightening one axle nut. In 9,650 miles of track driving my NSX.

Keep in mind that we're talking about specific items after the cumulative effect of lots and lots of track driving. (Each track event typically consists of 150-200 track miles, so we're talking about dozens of track events). So yes, things can go wrong - but we're talking about the effects after years and years of hard track driving (and you won't be using the car as hard until you've built up your track experience).

Back