• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

track tires

I order a set of R888 with the following specific
205/40/17 front & 275/35/18 the correct size for my car? Will the traction control come on? Thanks!

I order a set of R888 with the following specific
205/40/17 front & 275/35/18 the correct size for my car? Will the traction control come on? Thanks!

do yourself a favor, if you ever track your nsx, turn the TCS off.

I'm more worry about the understeering of your car with your set up though.

I do turn the TC off when I am on thetrack. What kind of set up should I use. I cannot do d any R Compound tire that us 215/40/17 in the front & I do 't want 225/40/17 since it rubs my front fender. Ur input would greatly b appreciated.

do yourself a favor, if you ever track your nsx, turn the TCS off.

I'm more worry about the understeering of your car with your set up though.

If these are just for the track, get 235/40/17 for the front and deal with a little rub....I do.

I do turn the TC off when I am on thetrack. What kind of set up should I use. I cannot do d any R Compound tire that us 215/40/17 in the front & I do 't want 225/40/17 since it rubs my front fender. Ur input would greatly b appreciated.

The Hoosiers in 225/40/17 do not rub. And they are superior to the R888 if you are trailering your tires/wheels or the NSX. If you are driving on the same tires that you will track, then 235 is the option - unless of course you go with a little less performace but use Falken 615.

These will be dedicated for the track use mainly, but might drive it around the city or highway every now and then after the track event. I want tires that would be the ultimate for track use.

Peter

These will be dedicated for the track use mainly, but might drive it around the city or highway every now and then after the track event. I want tires that would be the ultimate for track use.

Peter
For this use, go with:

235/40-17
275/35-18

and deal with a slight bit of rubbing at full lock. You shouldn't ever reach full lock when on the track anyway.

Rubbing is NOT limited to full lock. Even a moderately lowered car (0.75"), and presumably anyone who is tracking and needs R tires has surely realized the potential value of lowering the car, the 235 will rub the fender liners around the edge of the fender and even brake of the tab that secures it when loaded on an off camber situation - even if you have the camber kit which does help.

If you want dedicated track tires and no rubbing issues, stay with Hoosiers 225.

For this use, go with:

235/40-17
275/35-18

and deal with a slight bit of rubbing at full lock. You shouldn't ever reach full lock when on the track anyway.

depends on the suspension, the setup above eats up all my fender liner and I'm replacing 3-5 clips per side every track day. I also found out it rubs a little on the tabs of the top of the fender too. (However it doesn't look too bad, and I love how it feels.)

If you are going to driving it on streets too, again, I should recommend the Dunlop Z1 star spec. and if you planning to want even more performance, try the new AD08... Should be the new king of street tires. The positives on these are that in case you chose a rainy track day, these 2 tires will still have tremendous grip on heavy rain conditions.

Been there done that. The 235 will still rub the tab unles you break it off completely. Removing the liner should not be an option for those who will also drive on the streets. JMHO. YMMV.

I agree with the Professor. I have no fender liners, all rolled, and running Hoosiers 225s up front with rubbing issues.

235s not only rubbed all day long, but left me with two cracked fenders. Solutions? Camber kit should do the trick and/or wider fenders. (Raising the suspension is not an option for me.) Finally, an alignment and corner balancing.

Who makes and sells this camber kit (fronts) you're speaking of Larry?

Who makes and sells this camber kit (fronts) you're speaking of Larry?

Hey Matt- give Bob @ Driving Ambitions a call for the Camber Kit. They are special ordered from CT Engineering (took me almost 6 weeks). They will save both your fenders and tires.

Add more front camber.

Very interesting you all are running into all of these problems. FX's old car ran for years on the street, drag strip, and road course with no fender liners and never broke the tab or fender:

CALSPEEDNSX.jpg

For those rubbing the outside edge of the fender, what offsets/rim widths are you guys running? I wanted to try 225 Hoosiers but it looks like they will rub with my current wheel setup (17x8 +35) and lack of ability to dial in more camber.

For those rubbing the outside edge of the fender, what offsets/rim widths are you guys running? I wanted to try 225 Hoosiers but it looks like they will rub with my current wheel setup (17x8 +35) and lack of ability to dial in more camber.

I am running Volk CE28N 17x8 High Pad (clears Stoptech), and have dialed 2.5 camber - I still drive 50% of the time on the streets. I used 235/40/17 RA1 and 225/40/17 Hoosiers back to back on two sets of the same CE28N wheels. Even with Hoosiers and a passenger, I had no rubbing but my car is not as lowered as Larry's. As in all such posts, use it as a reference point in your decision. YMMV.

I run the 235s up front and have had to make room in order to fit: rolled, no fender liners, tabs "individually stylized."

I think if those aren't allowances you're interested in making, the 225 Hoosiers or another brand is your best bet.

235/40/17 is close to 620mm diameter. Sure they will rub sometimes.

Personnaly, I run 240/610/17 slicks on 17x8 ET35 rims. With ~2.0 to 2.5 camber and not far from 9.0 caster, they rub slightly in the inside at full lock. And my car is lowered as you can see on this pic :

nsx_2009_03.JPG

I am running Volk CE28N 17x8 High Pad (clears Stoptech), and have dialed 2.5 camber - I still drive 50% of the time on the streets. I used 235/40/17 RA1 and 225/40/17 Hoosiers back to back on two sets of the same CE28N wheels. Even with Hoosiers and a passenger, I had no rubbing but my car is not as lowered as Larry's. As in all such posts, use it as a reference point in your decision. YMMV.

Do you by chance know the offset of your wheels? I'm currently running a 235 front street tire which has a smaller tread and section width than that of the 225/40/17 Hoosiers. I don't know if this is common but I can't dial that much camber up front unless I lower the car significantly.

Thanks for the replies from others. They are very helpful as most wheel/tire fitment threads tend to be geared towards the street driven car.

Sorry to the OP for taking this post off topic. I would like to add that I also agree that it would not be in your best interests to run TCS at the track. I have no experience with a 205/275 R888 setup but suspect that it will tend to understeer a lot of the differenct types of corners. I guess if you get too much understeer for your liking that you can try a narrower rear width come replacement time.

I'm running 235/17 fronts and 275/17 rears with no rubbing issues on track. I only have rubbing issues when doing U Turns in the parking lot.

Attachments

• desktop.jpg
    desktop.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 93
  • LagunaSecaLow.jpg
    LagunaSecaLow.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 72
I'm running 235/17 fronts and 275/17 rears with no rubbing issues on track. I only have rubbing issues when doing U Turns in the parking lot.

I am surprised given the picture you posted with the load on the left front. What camber setting do you have and what suspension? Have you inspected the fender liner (you can run your fingers under the fender edge and that should tell if you have rubbing or not)?

Last edited:
Do you by chance know the offset of your wheels? I'm currently running a 235 front street tire which has a smaller tread and section width than that of the 225/40/17 Hoosiers. I don't know if this is common but I can't dial that much camber up front unless I lower the car significantly.

<snip>

Sorry, I don't. I checked both SOS and Dali's websites and both don't offer the offset for the 17/8 in CE28N high pad. Quite a few of us use the CE28N or the Tecnomagnesio with the 235/17. Before my CE28N I had the Tecnos with RA1 235/17 and same issues of rubbing.

The offset for the CE28Ns they are using are +38mm with the hi pad configuration.

Back