• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Trade my NSX for '02 M3!

After driving the NSX for 2 years, I decided to move on and traded it in for a '02 M3 with SMGII tranny. The M3 should be here in July, can't wait!
BTW, I was also looking for the new '03 CLK500 and a used '00 M5, however ending up getting the M3 because it's more sporty than CLK and newer than M5.

NSEX,

Sorry to hear you are leaving the community. Would you perhaps like to be a bit more specific as to why you are selling your NSX. I am sure there are many who read these forums who are in the market for an NSX(like me hehe) and would like to see any shortcomings it may have over time.

I'm probably going to make the same type of move with my other car....... I'm going to trade my Ferrari for a KIA.
biggrin.gif

Jeez, what are you thinking?

I almost came to submission after driving a silver demo M3 with SMG from Vancouver but as I looked into the vehicle through bimmerforums.com it changed my mind. There seems to be a problem of e46 M3's blowing engines. Whats odd is the SMG with rev limiters are also having the same problems. Take a look at the thread as this problem is noted by M3 owners. By the way I have 3 kids and that was the only reason for considering the switch but now I'm glad to keep my NSX.

I cancelled my 02 M3 SMG order for that very reason, though I was loathe to note that since NSEX is apparently already committed. At any rate, it's an unusually high percentage of blown engines at track days, but not 100%. Small consolation...

I witnessed the self-destruction of one of the E46 M3 engines at a BMW CCA event at Road America a couple of weeks ago. Not a pretty sight - lots of bits of metal parts falling down from the engine compartment.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
NSEX,

Sorry to hear you are leaving the community. Would you perhaps like to be a bit more specific as to why you are selling your NSX. I am sure there are many who read these forums who are in the market for an NSX(like me hehe) and would like to see any shortcomings it may have over time.

One of the main reason i sold my NSX is because I'm getting tired of driving it. NSX would make a perfect weekend car, but for me, it's juss plain tiring driving it for few hours straight during traffic hours.
Non power steering, aftermarket racing seats, stiff chassis are just not so cool to me anyomre. I want something that is both fast and luxerious.
Another reason is NSX attacts too much attention, yah, sometimes it's a bad thing. I'm afraid to drive my NSX to movie threater or any dangerous spot. I don't let my brother drives my NSX and basically it's just a garage queen.
Also, my NSX is '91 so it's an old car comparing to a '02 M3 especially with SMGII.
I know I might get flames by NSX lovers, but as much as I love the NSX, I still had to let it go. it won't hurt trying something new.
smile.gif

Originally posted by NSEX:
it's juss plain tiring driving it for few hours straight during traffic hours.
Non power steering, aftermarket racing seats, stiff chassis are just not so cool to me anyomre. I want something that is both fast and luxerious.

Power steering... included in any '95 or later NSX. Aftermarket racing seats... the stock seats are the best in the business. Stiff chassis... let me guess (based on the presence of aftermarket racing seats) - you have aftermarket suspension upgrades, right?

Sounds to me like the perfect car for you would be a newer, stock NSX. Both fast and luxurious.
biggrin.gif

There were several E46 M3s (one was an 02 with SMG) in the DE event I was at this weekend (Putnam Park IN), and I got to ride in/with some of them.

A few observations:
- good straight-line speed... probably better mid-range punch than a 3.0L NSX, but only if there's enough room (my 3.0L with i/h/e and JDM gears kept up just fine)
- GREAT wet-weather handling (their traction and stability systems are awesome in the wet)... my early-90s TCS couldn't keep up (particularly with my 215/275 tires)
- SMG is cool, but only if you really need precise gear changes
- NSX still brakes deeper and corners harder/faster (JMHO -- some of this might be driver familiarity with the course)...
- no one blew up, but we had a few E36M3 cars dump coolant and other poop on-track
frown.gif

There was also a Vette C5-Z06 with minor mods at the event -- now THAT had notably superior straightline speed, and similar great TCS/etc in the wet. Also, an M-coupe with 315 (?) hp was a great corner-carver in the dry.

As an aside, several BMW/Ferrari owner / tester writeups suggest that the SMG / F1 tranny is better left to roadcourse (DE/race) applications. For street use, particularly in-town hilly areas like San Fran, supposedly the manual 6 speed is far more useful, and less clunky.

I have both an 02 M3 SMG, as well as a 91 NSX(mostly stock, save for 97 wheels).

I also am the sales manager at a high end dealer selling pre-owned BMW, MBenz, Ferrari, Porsche, so I feel that I get to drive a luttle of everything. In response to some of the things said, I feel im fairly well qualified to say the following.

1) I feel the SMG M3 is a better daily driver, (depending on where you live of course), due to the ease of use of the trans, and the relatively nicer interior. The interior thing is hard to see off the bat, but driving them both for a longer period of time, you do see that the newer M car is much nicer inside. The back seat, and trunk, seals the deal on this subject for me.

2)Ferrari trade for a Kia? at first I was going to lash out on this one, but your right, your trading a 2 seat pc of sh_t for a 4 seat one, so your comparison works, sort of..

3)The engine blowing thing is a tad worrysome, but really no more so than the snap ring, and tire things probably were to original NSX owners. 4 years of warranty with full maintenece is a nice thing!

4)While Manuels subjective track comparisons are nice, the numbers show otherwise...
M3 60-0 in 112 ft
NSX 60-0 in 134 ft (98 model)
M3 80-0 in 200 ft
NSX 80-0 in 220 ft

Manuel may have a different opinion, because I beleive he has aftermarket brakes.

I concentrated on the braking numbers, because I feel that if one thing makes one car faster than another on the track it is brakes, and the acceleration numbers, and handling numbers are close.
I do feel that the NSX in capable hands is a better handling car for sure.

In summation, I LOVE my M3 SMG more each time I drive it, It is VERY Fast! I was worried that when I got my NSX out of storage, I'd not enjoy it as much as I used to, but as soon as I got in it, I felt that special feeling I only get when Im in my dream car.

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG (It's heeeerrreee)

Steve, between the M3 and the NSX, which one would you say has the higher fun factor?

Tomi,
Wow, well you've been talking about getting something else for years now. Congrats on the new M3. You'll have to take me for a ride when you get it.
To all the others here, well you know I was in his situation 6 months back as well. Having had the NSX as a daily driver for several years, well it got tiresome. Yes, I love the looks, handling, sounds, etc, etc, but the fact is my 91 was an old car that wasn't upto par with what's available today. Seems that I was fixing this or that every other month, and it was showing it's age.
After looking at all types of cars (suv's, sports cars, etc) I settled on a 4.6is X5 and have to say I am much happier. Sure it would have been nice to keep the NSX as a weekend warrior and maybe one day I'll get another one. In the beginning I missed the NSX but with each passing day the X5 grew on me. Not to disrespect the NSX but the X5 is far more luxurious, more convenient, the truck may be big and heavy when tossing from side to side, but it handles like it's on rails, not NSX fast but it pulls hard too and believe it or not my 5000 lb X5 outbrakes the NSX!!!!! I can't see myself ever switching back, but I'm praying for a 2004 NSX that will change my mind.

This is like reading the obituaries. What is the point to this thread? This is an NSX ENTHUSIAST site, not an "I'm dumping my NSX blah, blah, blah" site. I suggest you put this kind of stuff on a BMW site.

Yeah, it's an obituary... however, we should allow a fellow nsx'er to say good-bye.

Actually, we learn good stuff in these threads.

The BMW M3 debacle is a screaming riot! Putting aside the pain the owners are feeling, an NSX devotee can scream with delight that this "pinnacle" of automotive engineering (not my words, but those of the automotive press) has real problems.

10W60 oil in a paper thin engine. D'OH?

We have suffered with a "We don't get respect" attitude from Bimmer owners. Now, when I walk by a parked M3, I can explode in uncontrollable laughter.

[This message has been edited by nsxman (edited 19 June 2002).]

Originally posted by rcarlos:
NSEX did you get a test drive of the SMG M3?
Is it quieter than the NSX?

I'll repeat my question. Is it quieter than an NSX. The BMW tech seems to think it is better than the NSX.

Originally posted by nsxman:
We have suffered with a "We don't get respect" attitude from Bimmer owners. Now, when I walk by a parked M3, I can explode in uncontrollable laughter.

Better laugh fast before IT explodes.

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
I'll repeat my question. Is it quieter than an NSX. The BMW tech seems to think it is better than the NSX.

Now there's a shocker.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I'm a little late to this thread but I must say about the m3 on track is that it is very capable.A good driver on hoosiers, all else stock was lapping at lime rock ~ 1:04 and another with a less experienced driver and oem tires was~1:07's.For reference I vary ~1:04.5-1:06 depending on my concentration level and thats on 235/17,275/17 yoko ao3r.

Back