• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tried and antenna booster for rear glass antenna ...

So after keeping up with this thread, I finally realized with nsxtasy’s post that we have as “in glass” antenna. From the wiring diagrams I could find, I did not see a booster anywhere along this antenna’s feed. So I decided to try and go without the main antenna mast and only use the “in glass” antenna with a booster.

The short answer – it didn’t work.

The long answer – While in the garage, I unplugged the main mast and found my radio reception was the same as when it was plugged in. Then after disassembling the necessary parts to get to the head unit, wire in an antenna booster from J.C. Whitley, and reconnect the head unit, I tested again. The reception was worse than before I put on the booster … or so I thought. I finally realized that the difference was the closed garage door that I had closed while doing the install. Once I opened it, all was back to normal. But ultimately, when I drove this morning using this antenna setup, the reception was very poor. The only thing I can pick up is the FM modulation I’m using for my IPod tie in.

So while this wasn’t a success, I thought I would share my experience to save others from trying the exact same path.

The in glass antenna is for diversity, that way the signal processor can remove reflections and increase the quality of the signal received.

There are some really neat things you can do from a signal processoing point of view if you have a shadow signal to compare/contrast with.

My problem is that I have an EU stock head unit, and it DOES NOT have an input for the diversity. The resulting signal is really bad, I live in a marginal reception area and I'm fairly unhappy with the stock EU unit...even though I like the RDS.

Anybody know of an aftermarket system that will do the diversity processing before it goes into the main input?

Drew

Sorry Drew ... not a clue from me. But I did want to post this. Another happy customer ...

Attachments

• DSC00591.jpg
    DSC00591.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,843
DonDavis said:
Whealy, ok, have to ask: what kind of antenna set up is that? Is it amplified?

Don in Heidelberg
Hi Don
For about 2 weeks ago i have done this Work one my NSX with a S2000 Antenna (Complet with the amplifier Sfr 232.-). Man muss nur das innere Orginalloch erweitern damit der Verstärker genügend Platz hat.
- Danach die Plastichülle der Antenne ein kleines bisschen anpassen bis diese ins Orginalantennenloch passt.
- Ich habe danach zum stabilizieren im Inneren an den vorhandenen Muttern (M6) einen Alustab montiert und den roten Litzendraht mit dem (Weiss-Pink) vom Orginalstecker verbunden.
- Es gibt eventuell auch andere günstigere Alternativen ich habe diese gewählt und bin zufrieden.

Best Regards / Erich :wink:

Back