• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Truth about driving in the rain

I am becoming convinced that the greatest threat to the older NSXs existence is not the drivers, owners, or rain. It is the self-proclaimed 'gurus' (usually the guy you just took it too to get it fixed) that say stuff like "it has a steel frame", or "that rattling noise is because of the extreme tolerances the car was created with" or "it obviously needs the power steering pump and cabin air filters replaced"

MPX

I've driven in some pretty bad storms so far. The scariest thing that can destroy your car are all the giant SUVs and trucks that can't see your car :(

I've been driving mine in rain for 6+ years. No issues.
Just make sure your tires have tread on them.

The 8 minute introduction video sure seemed to tout the rain prowess of the car, like a 'where other supercars fear to tread' kind of thing;

"The NSX is the one exotic that doesn't head for the garage when the weather turns foul"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5v7F0UPredI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brian

That video is impressive. However, it was clearly done on brand new Yoko A022's, which sadly are no longer available. If you tried any of that on Ecsta XS's (new or not), the results would be very different...

I will go one further.

Not only do I drive it in the rain but I track it in the rain. I estimate that out of the 100+ track days my NSX has seen that approximately 20 or so have seen rain at least part of the day.

I've had the GOOD fortune of one track day in the rain and I can tell you it was a rare PLEASURE. The car does very, very well assuming alignment and tires are appropriate. I hope for future track days in the rain. Unfortunately out here weather is a bit binary - normal is sunny interrupted by brief but aggressive thunder storms - so a nice, heavy, all-day rain is hard to come by...much less align with a track day.

As for the car itself holding up to rain, the entire body (frame + body panels) is aluminum. They will last to the extent that people do not wreck them. I've read, but can't find an authoritative source (on this number, or how it might compare to other passenger cars), that the NSX has a minimum design life of 30 years. That is not 30 years of storage, but 30 years of active service as a passenger vehicle. Regardless of design life, it is clear Honda was conservative with the design and build of this vehicle -assuming harsh/regular use as they would with any of their passenger cars (not assuming light use due to exotic nature), conservative engineering (over-engineering?) of the aluminum components, and things to ensure long-term durability like the coatings on fasteners of dissimilar metal and corrosion-resistant coating as early step in painting process. I expect it would far outlast any vehicle I have ever owned if driven in similar conditions, especially in conditions that would not be kind to steel (like salty roads).

I not only drive mine in the rain .. but in the ice and snow as well and have done so for about 12 years with no adverse effects. In fact, I was thinking about this thread last Thurs as I saw in traffic in a sudden downpour. This did remind me that there are some downsides that people haven't yet mentioned, one of which is that when the car is subjected to a large downpour (or going through car washes), the engine can start to have a mild misfire. If I recall the car wash threads, I think this is related to the coil packs getting wet. The second downside is that if you live on the prairies or midwestern states, getting caught in a sudden thunderstorm occasionally brings the possibility of it changing suddenly to hail which, depending on the size, is known to cause irreparable damage to hoods and roofs on steel bodied cars ... not sure about NSX's.

That video is impressive. However, it was clearly done on brand new Yoko A022's, which sadly are no longer available. If you tried any of that on Ecsta XS's (new or not), the results would be very different...

Yeuch, tell me about it... mine are super squirrely in the rain. Excited to get off them asap.

My rain track day was on Falken RT-615 tires. They did great...better than A022H based on my fading recollection.

...when the car is subjected to a large downpour (or going through car washes), the engine can start to have a mild misfire. If I recall the car wash threads, I think this is related to the coil packs getting wet.

The usual cause of this is missing or incorrectly-installed coil covers. I think the formula goes: Front covers on the front, rear on the rear, seal UP not down.

The second downside is that if you live on the prairies or midwestern states, getting caught in a sudden thunderstorm occasionally brings the possibility of it changing suddenly to hail which, depending on the size, is known to cause irreparable damage to hoods and roofs on steel bodied cars ... not sure about NSX's.

If you can get door dings, you can get hail dents so NSXs are not exempt. It is rare that hail is large enough to cause damage (say, once every 5-20 years in a given location where I'm at). Daily driving without exemption for days with severe thunderstorm potential could eventually lead to a bad day for someone if they couldn't respond quickly to "severe thunderstorm watch" notifications.

other than acid rain damaging paint clear coat I woudnt see the harm in rain driving. Still, I don't do it. The Nsx is just too special, leave the dirty work for your daily drivers

- - - Updated - - -

actually some time back I recall seeing an image of an nsx shell that was left outside for quite some time and there wasnt a spec of rust on it, with exception to a few misc bolts

Back