• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo PSI @ 5280FT?

Spoke to another member here in Colorado (5,280ft) about his AP-X setup. At our altitude he is pushing 12 psi to get him to 400WHP. I'm going to use stock internals, my goal was 420-430WHP, but am worried about the high boost on a stock 3.2 motor. I'm also going to use METH and the other member did not. Thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:
Spoke to another member here in Colorado (5,280ft) about his AP-X setup. At our altitude he is pushing 12 psi to get him to 400WHP. I'm going to use stock internals, my goal was 420-430WHP, but am worried about the high boost on a stock 3.2 motor. I'm also going to use METH and the other member did not. Thoughts? Thanks

some thoughts, experience at a mile high...

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154682&highlight=SOS+bruce91nsx

...also..
please pm me... we are hosting NSXPO 2012 in Colorado, and would welcome your participation at any level.....

cheers,
bruce

Your motor is doomed.

Haha, well put.

As mentioned here almost as many times as Hugh has miles on his NSX, Psi is not the issue. Its the mass air flow that matters. Psi is simply a easy way to talk about Mass air flow as long as all the factors are equal. However at high altitude the factors are not equal. As long as you have a good tune you'll be fine at 420-430 rwhp. Though if you take it to lower altitude you need to keep a eye on your boost and afr's depending on your engine management system.

Best of luck...

Gary

Your motor is doomed.

Not what I wanted to hear:eek:.........

The tuner I was going to with informed me that he will not une my car with FIC (OBD2). He wants me to go with EMS. Maybe I should wait until NSXPO, and pay for a tuner that is comfortable with tuning a NSX.

Gary is right, as far as the engine is concerned, mass air flow (and the resulting cylinder pressure) is what it is concerned about. Turbochargers (compared to superchargers) are nice at elevation as they can compensate for decreased air density due to elevation. One thing to keep in mind however is the effect on pressure ratio - you'll want to make sure that your turbo is not outside its efficiency envelope to support the air mass required for your power goal (essentially the turbo will need to work harder to produce the same air mass at a lower air density at elevation).

That being said, depending on the dyno used, 420-430 can be done successfully, but is pushing the anti-knock threshold of 91 octane. With a decreased anti-knock threshold, you operate in a thinner safety margin. The tune needs to be spot on including fuel mixture and sensor feedback to keep the engine safe.

As far as methanol/liquid injection goes, we don't recommend it for street car applications if it is not necessary. It introduces variables based on flow rate that can effect the tuning of the engine. A properly designed charge intercooling system should not require methanol injection. In my opinion, it is often a good idea to take a look at OE cars as the manufacture's priority is durability as much as performance - which when it comes down to it, should be a priority of ours as well. There's a reason that methanol injection is not used by OEs.

As far as engine management goes, some tuners are not comfortable with fuel/ignition management systems like the F/IC - especially for more complex systems - such as adding methanol injection. We offer an AEM Series 2 based system on our website.

We expect several of our twin turbocharged NSXes will be at NSXPO this year - it would be a good time to do some comparisons.

If you have any questions, feel free to give us a buzz.

regards,
-- Chris

Chris,
In regards to the EMS.... Is the series 2 you offer compatible with OBD2 ? Plug and play? Is the series 1 30-1042 compatible with OBD2?

Do you think tuning the FIC at 5280ft would cause more problems, more difficult?

Edit....I looked at website and saw the OBD2 specific EMS kit. $1895

Last edited:
Chris,
In regards to the EMS.... Is the series 2 you offer compatible with OBD2 ? Plug and play? Is the series 1 30-1042 compatible with OBD2?

Do you think tuning the FIC at 5280ft would cause more problems, more difficult?

Edit....I looked at website and saw the OBD2 specific EMS kit. $1895

They have systems which are pnp on obd2 cars but they dont meet obd2 standards. You could not hook it up for state inspections or read through obd2 port.

This is what the tuner here in Denver states about the FIC...........

The problem with the FIC on this setup (and pretty much on most FIC cars) is not making power, its the driveability. Things like cold and warm start, light/moderate throttle, idle, etc. Making power is the easy part, its getting it act right when you're not WOT (i.e. 95% of the engine's time in a street car) where the FIC (or pretty much any other piggyback) just doesn't fit the bill. In general, I'd say that the older ecu's (OBD1) are actually easier to fool with a piggyback than the new ones (i.e. OBD2).

For example, When you put bigger injectors into a car, many times it needs a higher idle speed to maintain idle (warm, cold, depressing the clutch after a redline wot pull, etc.). Well, you can't raise idle speed with an FIC. The stock ECU tries to target a given idle speed, and you can't affect that part of the ECU's logic by simply fooling its input signals. Sure, you can add more air mechanically at idle, but the stock ECU will still pull air via the IAC to lower the idle. An OBD2 car might even throw a code if "too much air" gets base the throttle body at idle (i.e. it could think there's a vacuum leak).

Thoughts?

This is what the tuner here in Denver states about the FIC...........

The problem with the FIC on this setup (and pretty much on most FIC cars) is not making power, its the driveability. Things like cold and warm start, light/moderate throttle, idle, etc. Making power is the easy part, its getting it act right when you're not WOT (i.e. 95% of the engine's time in a street car) where the FIC (or pretty much any other piggyback) just doesn't fit the bill. In general, I'd say that the older ecu's (OBD1) are actually easier to fool with a piggyback than the new ones (i.e. OBD2).

For example, When you put bigger injectors into a car, many times it needs a higher idle speed to maintain idle (warm, cold, depressing the clutch after a redline wot pull, etc.). Well, you can't raise idle speed with an FIC. The stock ECU tries to target a given idle speed, and you can't affect that part of the ECU's logic by simply fooling its input signals. Sure, you can add more air mechanically at idle, but the stock ECU will still pull air via the IAC to lower the idle. An OBD2 car might even throw a code if "too much air" gets base the throttle body at idle (i.e. it could think there's a vacuum leak).

Thoughts?

Some of his statement is true some is not at least with respect to the F/IC on a NSX. If you keep the power goal in the 450whp and less area the F/IC should handle the job. There are a few things you have to consider when putting the entire system together if the F/IC is the engine management tool you will be using. Injector size is a big factor in how easy the tuning process will be. I have found the 440-550cc injectors to be a sweat spot and are the easiest to setup. Go much bigger than a 750cc injector and things will start to get a lot harder.

The OEM O2 wires should not be wired into the F/IC, you should not need the O2 offset feature and if you think you will you should do a stand-a-lone ECU.

The F/IC should not be used on cars running more than 10psi of boost unless you are running higher octane fuels or Meth/water injection. The F/IC has a limit to the amount of retard (-10 degrees according to Chris at SOS) it can induce because it does not intercept all of the cam and crank sensors.

The OBDII NSX's do not use an IAC, they are drive by wire and the idle control is via the throttle blade, I have had zero issues in getting a NSX to idle and return to idle but I have not done one on a cam car, ported heads, or made any throttle body changes, those changes would cause some issues with the OEM ECU being able to idle.

IAT's are a huge issue to having a stable tune, the OEM ECU is very aggressive in trimming both fuel and timing due to IAT's, setup a well designed WTA intercooler and keep IAT's under control and the F/IC and OEM ECU will be much, much happier.

The NSX ECU is not that advanced and is not that hard to keep happy, most MIL lights are emmision related and are usually an electrical or mechanical issue. The biggest issue to getting a F/IC dialed in is the drive time needed to get the fuel trims stable in closed loop, idle and cruse will take some time ussually about 1-2 hours on the road and I have not found a way to get them done any faster or any other way than just driving the car and making changes to the fuel map untill it is stable. I have had little luck doing any drivability work on the dyno, the WOT stuff is easy and can be dialed in on the dyno in 1-3 hours the changes made in open loop are very stable and very predictable, at least they have been for me.

The F/IC may not be the best option for everybody but for me the best option is the F/IC as we have plug in OBDII emmision tests and without the OEM ECU running its readiness test we can not get a car to pass. For me its not to practical to pull injectors, remove/reinstall an ECU, return the car to stock fuel system, and drive around on eggshells for a few drive cycles every year to get plates renewed.

If you plan to stay under 450whp, under 10psi boost, and have emmision issues to deal with I would consider the F/IC to be a good option. However when/if the Infinity-10 ECU is released it may be worth making the move to a full ECU as even now the Series2 AEM is really acting as a piggy back on the OEM ECU. With that issue solved it may be worth the hassle of changing things out every year to get the added control. Might be smart to start off with the F/IC and save some money for the Infinity-10 instead of the Series2. Of course there are ECU options other than AEM but that opens up the same can of worms with emmision issues.

Dave

Last edited:
Not what I wanted to hear:eek:.........

The tuner I was going to with informed me that he will not une my car with FIC (OBD2). He wants me to go with EMS. Maybe I should wait until NSXPO, and pay for a tuner that is comfortable with tuning a NSX.

Ur tuner is a good man for recommending EMS instead of FIC.

I wish I was advised of that from the beginning when I lost my engine at 9.5psi with FIC.

Back