• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Two parking spaces

D

dollenz

I also get annoyed when I see people protecting their cars by taking two parking spaces, not to the point of "teaching a lesson" to the perpetrator, but it annoys me anyway. I believe this is a sure way of inviting people to hurt your car or do the kinds of acts that can invite a confrontation. I'm also worried about dings on the doors of my yellow '99 but I won't take two spaces. My technique is to find a place next to a wall or a curb, park the car as close to it, open the door as far as I can (about 12 inches), rotate out of the seat, put my left knee on the padding of the door sill, and walk out of the car.

Yeah, I almost made this topic another post. Glad you did. I feel bad about the 2 parking space thing and now try not to do it, but even when I don't I still get idiots who part right next to me and the car still draws a lot of attention. Since the only thing different about your car and mine is the perferated seat inserts and the Acura logo wheel caps, maybe it is just the brilliant Spa Yellow Pearl color that is ticking people off.
smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to stick to one space.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

akira3d:
I moved the reply to your post from the other topic to this one. I am sure you will find it.
smile.gif

I understand about check on your car. It has gotten so bad where I am that we have purchased remote video survalence equipment and wireless receivers so that I can see my car anywhere in the lot from 2 sides of the building we are in. I even had the software being setup so that I can monitor the feeds from any Internet connection. We currently have it setup to feed behind our firewall only, so I have to VPN in to get it, but I can use any room in our office and see it. The way it is set up, I can even use a 2 pound laptop and the wireless Ethernet connector to catch the feed anywhere else in the building. Not that I am that obsessive about it, but we have the technology to do it.
smile.gif

I recently moved my office to a better one down the hall and I no longer have a good view of the lot, but one of the guys in our office just bought a new Audi TT (nice car) and I try to park next to him. He won't hit me (not if he wants to get paid) and he is always looking after his car, so at least mine is in his field of view.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black

Attachments

• NSX vs CL_TL Type-S Trans.jpg
    NSX vs CL_TL Type-S Trans.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
  • NSX-TL Gearing.jpg
    NSX-TL Gearing.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 0
I suffer from a similar, although different, malady: that is, I teach high school and in the beginning of the year I can drive the car and everyone thinks, "Hey, Mr. C, cool ride!" But by this time of the year, if one of my other cars is in the shop and I have to drive the NSX... Well, I've given enough kids bad grades or detention or a suspension, that people will spit on the car, or throw food at it, or deface it in other even more creative ways. Needless to say, by the end of the year I'd rather walk that bring the race car!

Hey ChopsJazz, I can sure relate to what you said. I used to be a high school counselor at Dixon High and at the time I had a 1976 Lancia Scorpion, slow, but good looking and great handling in those days. Kids thought my car was the coolest, but those who didn't like me did a couple of mild/cute/innofensive(sp?) things to it just to let me know I could be had any day!

This is just way too much to think about. All I gotta say is shit happens...my car suffered from vandals 3 times already. Once my badge was stolen(red Integra type R badge) in a college I was attending; the other time my car was scratched front to back on the passenger side in a movie theater lot; and the last time was in a shopping mall parking, and my 3rd brake light was stolen...not to mention the dings and dents.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

Originally posted by G-man:
I moved the reply to your post from the other topic to this one.

Yep, I found it. I've often joked with my boss about doing the very same thing...but just using a cheesy webcam. My boss' concern was that we'd spend way too much time watching the parking lot and not enough time working!

But there's definite justification for such concern. A lot of us drive nice cars. And our parking structure does attract crime. A former coworker had the tires taken off his M3 on a Sunday evening when there was still daylight and the parking lot was full (so pedestrian traffic was at a high). On another day, we all watched in amazement as some young man walked nonchalantly from car to car checking to see if any doors were left unlocked (I came to the window just as he left my NSX!). And one of my coworkers stopped driving his car to work entirely...after it was broken into twice in the same day.

He won't hit me (not if he wants to get paid) and he is always looking after his car, so at least mine is in his field of view.

I'm sure that my boss parks his car next to my NSX for the same reason.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 05 June 2000).]

Attachments

• 20180419_104411.jpg
    20180419_104411.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • mdnsx.jpg
    mdnsx.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7556.jpg
    IMG_7556.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7560.jpg
    IMG_7560.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20180419_104426.jpg
    20180419_104426.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1
I used to take two spots in our parking lot at work. I parked in the absolute last spot and the nearerst car is about 20-30 spaces away. I got some negative comments and even a parking ticket. I not park in the same spot but now only take one spot. THe nearest car is still 20-30 spaces away.

I find that covering the car keeps me happy when it comes to the security of my car. It seems that most poeple can't figure out what the heck kind of car I drive when it is covered (even with the NSX plastered on the front). That would be my suggestions to those not able to install a video survalence system :)

I too have given up using two parking spaces. The tip about the car cover works well in my experience. Of course the car cover is at risk for being stolen. One technique I have used is to park at an angle with the back of the car closer to the open space, assuming that there is a wall etc. on the opposite side, so that the door(s) of the car that parks there is further away from the side of your car.

Michael

I can see why folks start driving an old 68 VW. If you have anything nice, there is always some lame who wants to destroy it. Or the other idiots who just open their door with no regards for other peoples property.

Two spaces will anger some folks. If they are driving a '66 Ford pickup and they need that extra space you are taking up, they might make room for the truck..

------------------
'88 Corvette coupe stock
'85 Supra, LT1, AFR 195, JE, Kennedy Eng, Howell Eng.
'92 Montero, stock L98

Attachments

• nsx-drive-1.jpg
    nsx-drive-1.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 130
Back