• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

UFC predictions???

You are not allowed to hit below the knees

Wrong. No knees to a downed opponent, no headbutting, soccer kicks, groin strikes, fishhooking, eyegouging, biting, trunk grabbing, cage grabbing.
You can kick a guy in the shins all you want :wink: .

Wrong. No knees to a downed opponent, no headbutting, soccer kicks, groin strikes, fishhooking, eyegouging, biting, trunk grabbing, cage grabbing.
You can kick a guy in the shins all you want :wink: .

Hmm I have not seen any fighter apply a side kick or flying side kick directly to the shins(would annihilate someones bones), most of the time this is followed by a leg sweep since its not allowed this combination would be inactive.

You won't see much 'flying' anything in MMA, since most of those kicks leave you too exposed, require alot of energy, and don't land enough. The occasional flying knee is effective though, when set up properly.
Oh, and you mean ineffective, not inactive.

NSXFRIEND can I ask what your training is? If you want to fight in the UFC you have to go through the ranks. Have you fought in any local tournaments? My friend Kenny Florian was seen by Dana White when he beat the guy they came to recruit.

NSXFRIEND can I ask what your training is? If you want to fight in the UFC you have to go through the ranks. Have you fought in any local tournaments? My friend Kenny Florian was seen by Dana White when he beat the guy they came to recruit.

17 years JKD, Arnese, kickboxing, trained in my youth briefly with Datu Kelly Worden natural spirit who trained with Jessy Glover Bruce Lees first student in Seattle. I pretty much have been in street fights nothing with noteriaty. I don't know the venues of entering these fights, if your friend can give some guidance I would be so appreciative.

Regards.

I am wondering what your groundfighting experience is. Although I respect your kickboxing training and your study of the philosophy of Jeet Kun Do, unless you have some SERIOUS groundfighting skills you will not do well in the UFC. Perhaps you have some and have not mentioned it here. I don't know. Do you have any BJJ training?

I mean no disrespect, but your comments sound familiar to me... like many a stand-up fighters who I have heard before... they have little familiarity with how well rounded a fighter you have to be to survive in the UFC let alone excel.

I will ask Kenny for you since he knows Dana well now, but would like to get more info from you if you don't mind. What weight class are you in?

Man, it's been a long time since I posted here.

Anyway, Turbo2 is absolutely correct about BJJ or submission grappling being mandatory. Many a Muy Thai fighter, Boxer, Wrestler, etc. have been schooled.

But my main point is that the road to the UFC as a fighter is pretty easily mapped out. Unless you're a cause celeb (Kimbo, Lesnar, etc.) you fight in local 'smokers, then amateur, turn pro when you can convince a promoter you're up for it, get an agent, fight larger shows/venues, have said agent hype you up, win, move to EliteXC, UFC, WEC, etc. and then you're making some $. Go to sherdog.com and look under events. Also, every major city in the U.S. has an MMA gym and will know about smokers or amateur bouts.

Good luck.

I am wondering what your groundfighting experience is. Although I respect your kickboxing training and your study of the philosophy of Jeet Kun Do, unless you have some SERIOUS groundfighting skills you will not do well in the UFC. Perhaps you have some and have not mentioned it here. I don't know. Do you have any BJJ training?

I mean no disrespect, but your comments sound familiar to me... like many a stand-up fighters who I have heard before... they have little familiarity with how well rounded a fighter you have to be to survive in the UFC let alone excel.

I will ask Kenny for you since he knows Dana well now, but would like to get more info from you if you don't mind. What weight class are you in?

I am starting my training with http://bjjonline.com/ for my ground skills and grappling with ofcourse JKD covers these aspects as well. Maguilla mentioned he could get me a fight in 6months but im not very patient and would like it to be in 2-3 months. Following the principle of JDK I find/use what is most effective for my style/body type based on my speed, agility, timing, etc all while working on areas needed.

I am a light middle weight/light weight can gain or add plus or minus 10lbs.

As far as not surviving the UFC since I am a stand up fighter, GSP pretty much proved the strengths against Serra and Hughs respectively.

That would be great if you can ask Kenny :)

Man, it's been a long time since I posted here.

Anyway, Turbo2 is absolutely correct about BJJ or submission grappling being mandatory. Many a Muy Thai fighter, Boxer, Wrestler, etc. have been schooled.

But my main point is that the road to the UFC as a fighter is pretty easily mapped out. Unless you're a cause celeb (Kimbo, Lesnar, etc.) you fight in local 'smokers, then amateur, turn pro when you can convince a promoter you're up for it, get an agent, fight larger shows/venues, have said agent hype you up, win, move to EliteXC, UFC, WEC, etc. and then you're making some $. Go to sherdog.com and look under events. Also, every major city in the U.S. has an MMA gym and will know about smokers or amateur bouts.

Good luck.

Fights can go either way it depends on ones confidence and self belief and of course training plays a role.

I will check out sherdog thanks.

I know in sports fighting business's have to make money since I am not fighting for money (though more would be nice), I am confident if I get that one fight I can throw a show/drama in the match to bring support I want to fight because I can prove my art of another and further develop my fighting skills, I am very passionate about this stuff:biggrin:

Sure beats arguing and litigating, just put up your fist and handle it like old school

Flying kicks may not be the most effective, but they sure are fun to watch.

From this video I can tell you his flying kick has bad form, arms all over leaving his sides vulnerable, left leg needs to be tucked in more near his groin for proper take off, the fighter getting hit is not confident he had his opponents entire left side open had he just parred to his right and ducked lightly. Never the less a flying kick can end the fight if timed well.:biggrin:

When I perform a flying kick I usually take out at least three people, so if it was me in the fight the ref would have died.

From this video I can tell you his flying kick has bad form, arms all over leaving his sides vulnerable, left leg needs to be tucked in more near his groin for proper take off, the fighter getting hit is not confident he had his opponents entire left side open had he just parred to his right and ducked lightly. Never the less a flying kick can end the fight if timed well.:biggrin:
I havn't really commented on this thread,because i had nothing really to add to it,but i have to comment on the above statment.
I did martial arts for 13 years,i competed and placed in both European and world championships(both WAKO and WUKO) so i have an idea what i am talking about reagarding technique.If you think you can throw a flying kick and muster force behind it with your arms tucked in and your left leg tucked up you are very much mistaken.The arms open provide counter balance and make for a more secure landing after the kick,i am talking from experiance here not just a bystanders opinion.Balance is EVERYTHING in contact sport.
Regarding the guy on the recieving end of the kick, nobody,NOBODY can read what their opponent is going to do all the time,everytime.When i competed i was more of a counterfighter than an attacking fighter,and there would be times when i could read an opponent and move in on him as soon as he started his strike and therby get my points,but there would be other times when i didn't read my opponent correctly and get scored against.
To make the comments you did regarding those two fighters based on a 2-3 second clip is crazy.You would need to watch the whole fight to be able to judge someones ability.Muay Thai fighters(Thais) do next to nothing in the first round,then go hell for leather for the rest of the fight.Watching a 3 second clip of the first round in said fight would give you no clue as to the fighters ability.

Cheers,

Ivor.

I havn't really commented on this thread,because i had nothing really to add to it,but i have to comment on the above statment.
I did martial arts for 13 years,i competed and placed in both European and world championships(both WAKO and WUKO) so i have an idea what i am talking about reagarding technique.If you think you can throw a flying kick and muster force behind it with your arms tucked in and your left leg tucked up you are very much mistaken.The arms open provide counter balance and make for a more secure landing after the kick,i am talking from experiance here not just a bystanders opinion.Balance is EVERYTHING in contact sport.
Regarding the guy on the recieving end of the kick, nobody,NOBODY can read what their opponent is going to do all the time,everytime.When i competed i was more of a counterfighter than an attacking fighter,and there would be times when i could read an opponent and move in on him as soon as he started his strike and therby get my points,but there would be other times when i didn't read my opponent correctly and get scored against.
To make the comments you did regarding those two fighters based on a 2-3 second clip is crazy.You would need to watch the whole fight to be able to judge someones ability.Muay Thai fighters(Thais) do next to nothing in the first round,then go hell for leather for the rest of the fight.Watching a 3 second clip of the first round in said fight would give you no clue as to the fighters ability.

Ivor.

I respect your views on fighting but my comment was made based on the 3 seconds of flying kick not a judgement on the fighters ability. I based my opinion on what I see of his technique, sorry I do not posses any rankings or belt colors of any sort but I have over 17 years of street fighting and passionate love for the art. A fighter who kicks like a stallion galloping knows that if you fight with grace instead of a kangaroo leaping high in space wasting your energy at the end of your contact is ineffecient. A bullet weights a few oinces yet it travels so fast that it can inflict more harm than an object weighing 100xtimes. Power is not generated by your contractile muscles but rather from the impetus and speed of your foot or arm. You are aware that a flying side kick requires one leg tucked in to produce less drag and allow your travel the distance in a smooth fasion. When you jump to kick your opponent your not supposed to telegraph your move but rather start with a unorthedox southpaw stance, it takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds to read your opponents move from a distance especially when hes going airborn. The on-guard position is ideal for mobility as it allows you to take small steps for speed and controlled balance while bridging the distance to your opponent, and camouflages your timing. Since the leading hand and foot are closest to the target, 80 percent of the hitting is done by them, and in this case he completed telegraphed his leaping ambitions, good for him bad for the inexperienced opponent. Arms flying forward is the first indication that your going airborn.

"Power in hitting
depends not on your strength.

But it is the way,
you throw your blows.

It is not whether
you are close or at length.

If you're too near,
use your striking elbows.

But it is the hands that
you'll employ the most

In a sparring session
or a martial arts meet.

And when it is all over,
hope you can silently boast

That you have learned
to hit with speed and power. "

B L :biggrin:

NSXFRIEND, please don't take this the wrong way as I am trying to help you, but it still sounds to me like you are rushing into something. You do not want to start off your career on a losing note. I don't think you have enough BJJ experience which is the CORE of MMA, and you are going to get taken down and tapped by someone that is more experienced. Then your record will be 0-1 to start.

Kenny Florian was a classmate of mine maybe 10 years ago. He had his black belt from Roberto Maia (Renzo Gracie's cousin) before he even did his first local MMA tournament. He travelled to Brazil many times and trained at Gracie Barra, and won many many many local grappling tournaments first. Then he started to train at Sityodtong with Kru Mark.

What I am trying to say is that I think you are about to set yourself up for dissapointment. If you don't believe me, go spar with a good brown or black belt BJJ and you will see. I know you have confidence in your standup, but you have a hole that is probably more serious than you think. IMO you need a few solid years of BJJ before you do anything. Probably some wrestling as well. You need more ground training. Dan Inosanto has been training BJJ for years. How old are you now?

Jimsx has good points on the "map". That is how it is done.

As far as that clip goes, I believe that is something from K1. Not sure how much more needs to be said about that.

NSXFRIEND, please don't take this the wrong way as I am trying to help you, but it still sounds to me like you are rushing into something. You do not want to start off your career on a losing note. I don't think you have enough BJJ experience which is the CORE of MMA, and you are going to get taken down and tapped by someone that is more experienced. Then your record will be 0-1 to start.

Kenny Florian was a classmate of mine maybe 10 years ago. He had his black belt from Roberto Maia (Renzo Gracie's cousin) before he even did his first local MMA tournament. He travelled to Brazil many times and trained at Gracie Barra, and won many many many local grappling tournaments first. Then he started to train at Sityodtong with Kru Mark.

What I am trying to say is that I think you are about to set yourself up for dissapointment. If you don't believe me, go spar with a good brown or black belt BJJ and you will see. I know you have confidence in your standup, but you have a hole that is probably more serious than you think. IMO you need a few solid years of BJJ before you do anything. Probably some wrestling as well. You need more ground training. Dan Inosanto has been training BJJ for years. How old are you now?

Jimsx has good points on the "map". That is how it is done.

As far as that clip goes, I believe that is something from K1. Not sure how much more needs to be said about that.

I appreciate the advice well taken. I have over 17 years experience in JKD which includes grappling, Wing Chun and Arnese which allows you to use grappling and knocking people out when they least expect it:biggrin: You need to see me in a fight to be convinced which is perfectly ok.

Infact I don't mind fighting on the ground I Believe in using no way as way having no limatation as limitation. I am now 30 years old in the best shape of my life my body fat composition is in the single digits, I run 5 miles 6 days per week and train using various resistance exercises and weights and spar for a total of 2-3 hours per night, my wife think's I am obsessive compulsive lol . I have had my share of tuff situations with guys outweiging me by 30lbs and have came out victorious, you know the kind that brawls and likes to take you down.

I have lived my life by not putting limitations in my way, if you believe in yourself the only thing you can do is give it your best.

"Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him."

BL :smile:

This thread is becoming...interesting. NSXFRIEND, most MMA bouts end up on the ground, much more so than on the street. My original discipline is boxing, when I started training MMA I was getting killed by wrestlers. After studying BJJ it became a night and day difference. It took alot of time working on technique and timing, but now I can usually set something up in the transitions, and it has been very effective at countering a superior wrestler. It also makes them think twice when they shoot in, there are certain moves they won't try for fear of having someone take their arm home with them. Oh, and ease up on the quotes dude :wink: .

TURBO...didn't know you were buds with Florian, I have a great deal of respect for him. Better elbows than Louiseau too :wink: . I didn't know he trained w/ Gracie Barra, curious if he rolled w/ Babalu despite the weight difference.

I like NSXFRIEND, and I am one of the dorks that really liked Bruce Lee growing up and a copy of the Tao of Jeet Kun Do sits on my bookshelf. But when I hear him talk, I can't help but to be reminded of some guys I have met in the past that really do not have a completely clear understanding of what mixed martial arts is. You know... the days before everyone was watching the Ultimate Fighter on spike, training at a Karate Dojo, claiming they will never get taken down because of some fancy kick or punch.

All those guys that used to talk like that are now in one of the new moneymakers a.k.a. "Karate/Jiujitsu dojo's", learning some form of BJJ, most of the time from a purple belt that left another school and decided to make money. While it's fine not to care about belts and rankings because most martial arts schools beat it to death to collect money from the parents of their little Karate Tigers, most BJJ belts (which there was only 5 of originaly) have been fairly legit. If you are a black belt from any Gracie associated school (and in this I would include any top brazilian instructor) you probably know how to fight well. I am not sure Dana White even wants to talk to anyone that is not a legit groundfighter.

After years of Tae Kwon Do and Karate training it was most refreshing for me to actually "fight" in my BJJ school. It was beautiful that the Gracie black belt teaching me asked me to call him "Roberto" and not Master, Mr., Sensei, or sir. "Call me Roberto" he said. He did not ask me to bow 50 times in class, nor punch air and scream "huh" at the top of my lungs. We have a quote here which many people repeat: "use no way as way"... I really wonder how many people that say it know what it means. It sounds kinda cool, but knowing that phrase isn't going to help you much when you are getting arm-barred or heel-hooked.

The most effective movements in JKD (I hate to even use that term like its an art), are things like eye gouges and groin strikes. Either of which will get you thrown right out of the UFC. This does not make BJJ any less important in real combat. You cannot rely on eye gouging or flying kicks.

One day in class my teacher was showing an arm bar, and the kid getting arm-barred asked "what if I bite your leg?". My teacher raised his leg a little and came down on the kids face, then pulled his leg back and softly gave another kick to the side of his head, then got back to the arm bar and gave the arm a slight twist, just enough for the kid to feel a little pain with each and every move... and then with a smile on his face asked "do you have another question?".

BJJ is about control. Control your oponent first, submit second. If your fancy punch, flying kick, or submission fails and you have no control, you are going to be in a world of trouble.

TURBO...didn't know you were buds with Florian, I have a great deal of respect for him. Better elbows than Louiseau too :wink: . I didn't know he trained w/ Gracie Barra, curious if he rolled w/ Babalu despite the weight difference.

Florian has rolled with many guys while traveling, pretty sure babalu was one of them. He trained with BJ Penn for a while, and now they may be fighting each other soon. Kenny's strength is in his brain. He is not the most athletic, but he breaks down and analyzes everything. His standup game has come so far so quickly, because Mark Derllogrotte is truly one of the best muaythai teachers in the world. Kenny never gets any credit because he doesn't look like a fighter. The guy has multiple college degrees, his dad is a doctor, he comes from a well to do family. Well spoken, intelligent guy. Very nice guy when you get to know him. He'll be the first to make fun of himeself too. I think he has a few Bruce Lee posters next to Royce Gracie's in his basement too... lol...

Last edited:
Look at my luck, my insurance agent trains at http://www.graciemd.com/ is a friend of Aaron Riley who fights in UFC. I am going this week to find out if he can make suggestions to audition :)

On a side note the most effective JDK concept is not to waste energy, but use what is useful and disregard with is wasteful.

One primary advantage of BJJ is for small guys to wear down big guys in a fight, in the real world when you have to defend yourself and someone is trying to kill you I really hope you have good standing confidence, no referes to save you then.

One primary advantage of BJJ is for small guys to wear down big guys in a fight, in the real world when you have to defend yourself and someone is trying to kill you I really hope you have good standing confidence, no referes to save you then.
If a BJJ practitioner had you in an arm bar and there were no referee's to stop the fight when you tap,you would suffer SERIOUS injury.That's to mention nothing of triangles/heel hooks/rear naked choaks etc.A good BJJ practitioner will take out nearly any other single martial art skilled, I.E boxer/karate/judo/kickboxing etc,easily.
I have never done BJJ but i do know a good applicable martial art when i see it.Personaly i believe the whole JKD system to be hyped above what it is simply because of Bruce Lee.When i was competing in open tournaments all over the country there were fighters there from all styles,karate/freestyle/tae kwon do/kung fu/jeet kune do, and others,and JKD didn't stand out above any other style.
This is just my opinion based on what i observed of course.

JKD is not and never was an art, and Bruce Lee himself wished he had never used that name. It is a philosophy about fighting, but of course it is misused. Any fighter that honestly comes into a tournament and calls his style "JKD" essentialy doesn't know what the philosophy is about.

Bruce Lee was probably a forefather of mixed martial arts. He was never much about the traditions and he did emphasize the fighter's conditioning a lot and noted too many times too much reliance is made on technique and not enough on the fighter himself. The reason he was such an impressive striker was his continuous work on his own body, speed, conditioning. Most of the time people that use the term JKD are just trying to attach themselves to an immortal movie star.

If you understand the concepts of JKD you can apply it to any art or to any combat situation, including something like Brzilian Jiu-Jitsu. That is, after you have a COMPLETE understanding of the art. Not when you walk into class and say "well I know JKD and I am going to modify this move". That's a good way to get yourself tapped.

When people ask me about self defense I recommend Brazilian Jiujitsu, Muaythai, a little Judo and lots of work on their strength and conditioning. I also recommend they read The Tao of Jeet Kun Do and Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Still my fav.
Art of War is brilliant, but may be a little heavy for some students. Though one passage I like is, of course, if you wait by the river long enough you will come to see the bodies of you enemies float by. Don't bother correcting me if I missed a word or two, we all get was Tzu was trying to say on that one. Anyway I feel that both of those books, and most others, can help you mentally/spiritually if you are open to it, but few practical techniques can be learned (let alone mastered) by reading. That might be what you're saying anyway, TURBO. Nothing will ever beat sparring time, especially with guys that are heavier than you. The kid I do wrestling drills with is about 40 lbs heavier than me. Anyway, we're all Bruce Lee fans here, and agree he was an innovator. I have not seen a 'JKD' guy excel in MMA though, maybe your experience has been different NSXFRIEND. Still have respect for anyone who is a student of the game.

We had a student who was kind of a newb but had trained some traditional martial arts for a long time. We were rolling and I was trying to teach him some stuff but he was not listening. He kept trying to do his own thing. I have him in my guard and am trying to help him with a pass. He then starts to press his thumb firmly into my calf. I mean really pressing hard. It was nothing but annoying.

I said "what are you doing?"

and he said "Its a pressure point".

So while his arm was busy, I put him in a triangle and he went to sleep all the while trying to press harder and harder on the "pressure point". lol...

This is what happens when you don't listen to the technique and you try to go too much into the philosophy of an art.

I would like to make a point that most people entering MMA lack a deep understanding of the art of combative expression brutel percision and efficacy in stand up fighting, with some exceptions. BJJ is very effecient for building a strong overall core, as most the fighters might have lacked 10 years of weight training and cardio conditioning, and any wrestling will help build develope both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers through heavy compound conditioning, and running. BJJ I have tremendous respect for since its inovation upon the art of Judo and wrestling and Aikido(Morihei Ueshiba)though some gyms market BJJ with terminology "mma" as people have with the name Bruce Lee to meet their needs. Based on my overall analysis I find that most fighters in MMA find is a lot easier to pick up on BJJ than Stand up since they may have had wrestling i high school, as such it comes more natural where as throwing punchings and kicks in the air looks silly though serves purpose.. etc. A lot of people compete in tournaments but very few have had to risk their life in the street fighting, and give it their soul.

Having said that the comment mentioned about JKD concepts fighters not being elaborate and fancy is true. The concept behind JKD is to keep it simple not to waste energy and leave yourself out of breath.

There are three major areas of concentration in JKD :
1. Simplicity
2. Directness and,
3. Non-classical attitude

Muaythai and modern Kareta-Do (Gichin Funakoshi) & Hirokazo Kanazawa,
Shotokan style(Matsatoshi Nakayama) all ephasis on power hitting but there is one contradiction respectively on these fighting style's in the words of Hirokoazo Kanazawa

With time and thought, I have come to an appreciation that winning can be done with using only 60% of your power - 100% is not necessary if you have good waza (technique) - just enough is sufficient! Whereas before I would try to use all of my power to accomplish something, now I try to use only 60% and rest the other 40%. To simplify, if I use 60% correctly and I also use 40% of my opponent's power against him, the total is still 100% and the combination will result in more damage to him. I must say that my Tai-chi training and studies have greatly influenced my personal style of karate.
In conclusion he admits to changins his kata and styles because in the real world, thest fighters are ones with clear conscience not with distortion and tunnel vision.

I find this full of flaws, though I understand saving energy, in JKD concepts the best defense is offense, by keeping your opponent always on the defense it gives you the ability to tear him to pieces, if your output is only 60% and your opponent is retributing with 80% you will be in a lot of trouble.

My personal philosophy in the art of combative expression is, what I lack in Speed I make up in strenght, what I lack in strenght I make up in conditioning, what I lack in conditioning I innovate.

I think I have jumped all over just my opinion :biggrin:

Back