• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Uhaul trailers?

Looking at using a Uhaul to trailer to a track event. Tow vehicle is a full size 3/4 ton 95 Suburban w/ towing package.

Anyone with experience with Uhauling the nsx?

I assume I would want to back the car up so most of the weight is on the front of the trailer???

Car is lowered 1-1/4". I guess I can use 2x8s and/or raise the car up with the coilovers to the max if I needed and then just adjust it back down after unloading (I can do this in 5 minutes).

Last edited:
I towed my nsx on a Penske trailer from Seattle to L.A. I reversed it onto the trailer with out using 2x8's but it wasn't lowered at the time. Also bought extra straps to strap it down in the front the rear. Also watch the inner rails and the front rail on the trailer, make sure they don't scrap under the nsx.

found a pic:
241.JPG

Yellow straps were the ones I purchased.

Last edited:
thanks....

like I said, I can raise all 4 corners on my coilovers and probably get it to OEM + 1". JRZs are easy to raise and lower.

With the Uhaul, I was told you'd need to park the front wheels on a piece of wood to get it to clear front of the trailer. Backing up sounds like a good idea though. Just alot more tongue weight.

i did the same thing with the uhaul backed it up. My car is lowered with H&R so I used 2x10's on the bed so it wont scrape in the middle or back. It was a pain in the butt to get it up but it got on eventually. Drove 350 miles and it went great.

Re: Weight & Balance

I assume I would want to back the car up so most of the weight is on the front of the trailer???
Captain, Captain, :eek: being an airplane jock, tell me you were just jerking our chain and that the first thing you undoubtedly did was a proper weight and balance to confirm that backing it on keeps the tongue weight at 10-15%. :wink: What was the %?

I've trailered the NSX with a U-Haul trailer twice from LA to Laguna Seca. Once with the NSX backwards on the trailer and once with it forward. My NSX is lowered with Penske coilovers, therefore it does not clear the front of the trailer regardless if it's front first or rear first. However it's a lot easier to drive it up the trailer forward than it is backing it up. Therefore I put about 2 or 3 2"x10" planks at the front of the trailer and drive the car up the planks in ascending order (mini ramp out of the planks). You can kind of see the planks under the front tires in the picture.

On a side note, I also put two long 2"x10" planks on the trailer ramp so the front of my car doesn't get caught at the top lip area of the trailer when driving it up.

Additionally, I have to put a ramp or planks under the back tires of the tow vehicle to raise the back of the tow vehicle which lowers the angle of the trailer ramp.

It's easier than it sounds if you have the planks and ramp for the tow vehicle.

Attachments

• 26648_1290893805342_1620152318_683219_7121875_n.jpg
    26648_1290893805342_1620152318_683219_7121875_n.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 573
I towed my nsx on a Penske trailer from Seattle to L.A. I reversed it onto the trailer with out using 2x8's but it wasn't lowered at the time. Also bought extra straps to strap it down in the front the rear. Also watch the inner rails and the front rail on the trailer, make sure they don't scrap under the nsx.

found a pic:
241.JPG

Yellow straps were the ones I purchased.
Had some experience with this. Put the car on forward. That way the folding trailer fender is on the drivers side of the NSX where you want it and the balance is better. When doing this, you must remove the 2 angled wheel stops on the front of the trailer for clearance. If I remember, it is a couple of 3/4" or 7/8" nuts and bolts. You must rent the newer trailer because on the older versions, wheel stops are welded on. :eek: Don't tell U-Haul I did this. :biggrin::biggrin:

I am planning to trailer an NSX from Florida to NY (a little over 1000 miles) on a u-Haul car hauler pulled by a 3/4 ton pickup truck. The car is stock ride height, but I'll make sure to bring enough 2x10s for shimming purposes just in case. I don't have a ton of experience towing, especially rear engine cars, so I'm here looking for whatever advice anyone is willing to share. From reading this post (and others) I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to put the car on the trailer facing forward or backward. It sounds like the pro of putting it backward is better weight distribution on the trailer, and putting it on forward let's you swing the driver door open over the trailer fender. Does anyone know if both fenders lower down on the u-haul trailer, or just the one side?

For those of you that have towed an nsx facing forward did you encounter significant swaying of the trailer?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Shawn

I towed mine from NM to NE (820miles). Front forward. Largest Penske truck and their trailer. Had zero issues.
I raised the coilovers up a bit higher than stock and used the trailer wheel straps on front and a set of wheel straps on the rear. The trailer I got was a new style I think so the wheel fenders on the trailer we’re a bit lower if I remember correctly.

Side note: When I went to load and unload I tried to find a good spot with a dip in the ground so the ramps would have the least amount of incline to them for clearance and loading it slowly onto it.

Back