• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultra Slim floor standing speakers...need suggestions

Is this better Turbo? :biggrin: Now don't give me too much trouble, but I haven't painted the area behind the TV yet, but I will get to that. It does look a lot better with painted grills. :smile:

paintedspeakers.jpg

Personally, putting anything on the floor next to the stand, thin or not, or mounting some awkward speaker on the outside of the wall looks very ghetto in my opinion. (unless small like the Bose but they sound terrible)

Use the in wall speakers. They sound great and are inexpensive. Nothing to knock into, nothing for the door to hit. If you are mounting a speaker on the outside of the wall and it is much harder to fish the wires because you are trying to go through a tiny hole in the wall. With the inwall, you use the template and cut a rectangle in the dryway to put the speaker in. It is easy to fish the wire down because you can actually see it because the hole is large enough to get your arm in or head if the speaker is big enough. If you mount them under the TV, then it will be even easier. Paint it to match the wall color if you want or leave it as is. This is an easy process.

Take off that one section of base boards, cut a hole at the bottom, pull the wire though and run it under the carpet along the base board to the center and plug it in.

CIMG2740.jpg

I have three surround sound set-ups in my home with the in-wall speakers and I couldn't be happier.

In walls are not an option here. Take a look at the wall to the left of the tv...oh that's right...there isn't any wall there. :) I want a STEREO set up. Imagine the soundstage if the left channel was angled to the left. I listen to music in the bedroom and I've gotten used to the nice full range sound only a floorstanding set can offer. Currently i'm using an old pair of boston vr965's I had laying around. They have powered side firing woofers that do well with my music.
I'll get a picture up soon. It looks decent, but sounds great.

Again...I didn't want home theater...so all in one LCR speaker solutions aren't what i was looking for.

In walls are not an option here. Take a look at the wall to the left of the tv...oh that's right...there isn't any wall there. :) I want a STEREO set up. Imagine the soundstage if the left channel was angled to the left. I listen to music in the bedroom and I've gotten used to the nice full range sound only a floorstanding set can offer. Currently i'm using an old pair of boston vr965's I had laying around. They have powered side firing woofers that do well with my music.
I'll get a picture up soon. It looks decent, but sounds great.

Again...I didn't want home theater...so all in one LCR speaker solutions aren't what i was looking for.

A couple of things, some of the in walls have directional tweeters so even if you put them on the angled wall, you could direct the tweeters towards the front. Also, if you put speakers on the floor they wouldn't be much wider than the TV anyways so you could put the in walls over or under the TV. Not as good as the wider option, but you have odd walls to work with. the last thing you could do is have the ceiling wired and use ceiling speakers for the fronts as well. I have seen people do that.

MUCH! :wink:

And how about moving those components into the cabinet below? :D

That's actually a faux cabinet to hide my sump pump. I am planning to put bookshelves on both sides of the TV eventually so then it won't look so awkward. The only excuse is laziness on my part. I killed myself to get everything done that I burnt out and didn't finish the final details. :)

Think you're overlooking everything i've said :wink: :

A couple of things, some of the in walls have directional tweeters so even if you put them on the angled wall, you could direct the tweeters towards the front.

I want full range...you cannot get 30-40hz out of 6 1/2 in wall speakers. Sure you can hide a sub, but that requires way too much work for wire hiding and placement. Also, while you're talking about aesthetics...how 'ghetto' would it look to have an inwall driver on that slanted wall.

Also, if you put speakers on the floor they wouldn't be much wider than the TV anyways so you could put the in walls over or under the TV. Not as good as the wider option, but you have odd walls to work with.

I want a stereo soundstage...the speakers can't go above or below the TV squashed together. Not only would that look 'ghetto' it would sound 'ghetto'. :biggrin: They have to be several feet apart to make a decent soundstange.

the last thing you could do is have the ceiling wired and use ceiling speakers for the fronts as well. I have seen people do that.

I already have ceiling speakers...and as I said earlier, they are already routed to the distributed audio system in my living room.

So are you all set and happy with the BA's then?

B&W XT4 in silver - Pair - Specs:
40Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis
they actually extend up and down more but at 6db down
-6dB at 34Hz and 50kHz
3000.00 retail
1400.00 NSX Owner Price

One of the problems will be finding a 'slim' speaker which can reproduce the frequencies you demand of it without assistance from an external subwoofer. Some speakers acheive this by having a slim profile but end up being 3 feet deep. I dont like the look and fitment is horrible in most applications. If you do find a speaker which can reproduce say 30-50Hz it will usually be at around 6db down or essentially at much lower power levels that you would require of it. This is a way manufacturers get buyers who compare specifications, but dont really understand what they are looking at or the manf specs fail to include power ratings across the entire frequency range.

There are a number of good inwall subwoofers you can use, some of which are THX Ultra II certified but most of them are best suited being installed prior to the drywall or serious drywall work to retrofit. James Loudspeakers makes some good subs which can be ported into the listening space via a method similar to an AC Duct.

I have immediate inventory of the following brands:
B&W
JM Labs
Revel
Klipsch
JBL Synthesis
Anthem
Arcam
AudioQuest
Niles
James Loudspeakers
Paradigm
Mitsubishi
Pioneer Elite
Rotel
Lexicon
Nuvo
Crestron
AMX
Control 4
Vandersteen
Esoteric
Krell
Mark Levinson
Cambridge Audio
NHT
Triad
DCS
Viola Labs
Sony
Marantz
and many more...

I guarantee that I can offer any of the above items at prices FAR below anyone in the country.

Where's the amp? Going in that stand? No need to prewire, just drill a couple holes in the wall and fish them through.

I agree. I hate wires showing too. I have a pretty nice set up in my bedroom. It has the plasma that pops up out of the foot board and the speakers are built into legs of the bed with surround and a center channel. It really sounds good and since I built the whole thing from scratch you don't see any wires!

DSC01619.jpg

Is that an Acurus ACT3 that i see ? :biggrin: If so, i have the same unit....it's been a good processor, but I'm replacing it next week with the Anthem Statement. :tongue:

To the original question: I saw new 1" cube Sony theather speakers at Fry's that sound very good.....you might want to check it out.

Turbo - Once the subcontractor relocates the door, I'll move the speakers out and back a little for a better soundstage. The side firing woofers on these Bostons sound amazing.

bedroomtvresized.jpg

DSC01619.jpg

Is that an Acurus ACT3 that i see ? :biggrin: If so, i have the same unit....it's been a good processor, but I'm replacing it next week with the Anthem Statement. :tongue:

To the original question: I saw new 1" cube Sony theather speakers at Fry's that sound very good.....you might want to check it out.

Sure is an ACT-3. Love this unit. You can get them dirt cheap on audiogon now. If you are getting rid of yours, let me know.

I mus say that definitely is a single guy's house/apartment. When you see floorstanding surround speakers setup before there is even a couch... you know... hahaha

Ha....I went and heard the Definitive Mythos. :eek: Bought a set on the spot. Thanks Jim!

Turbo...I'm working on the furniture thing. :wink: I ordered a lot of stuff a few weeks back and its starting to trickle in. Coming together little by little! I'll post some pics of progress soon.

Put the Mythos in the living room. I need a new amplifier, but they sound amazing nevertheless.

DSC01899.jpg

Have you checked out the offerings from Magnepan ? their Magneplanar line was very popular awhile back.

Magnepan1.jpg

They have a web-only special on their MMG W (wall mount) and MMG C (center-channel) combo for about $900 or so. Reviews are promising --> http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw.php

MMGW_C_01.jpg

Flat-panel, wall-mounted design · Planar-magnetic diaphragm · No crossover · Fabric grilles · Oak frames
MMG W(all) main and surround speaker | Dimensions: 38.25"H x 10.25"W x 1"D | Weight: 20#/pr
MMG C(enter) center-channel speaker | Dimensions: 36"W x 9.25"H x 5.25"D | Weight: 18#
System Price: $897 USD | Warranty: Three years parts and labor; 60-d money-back

Last edited:
Back