• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unofficial Martial Arts thread

I mention rape prevention, and you take that as the green light to brag on your libido.

Interesting.

meh. I chuckled. It is the interwebz afterall. Now excuse me while i bang my super model hot wife with my footlong organ before driving off in my Lambo.

This thread really got me thinking about my son's martial arts and my more immediate goals for him. As a result he is now learning his 2nd martial art... I'm using the Gracie "Bullyproof" training videos and going through that program with him. He loves TKD, but the fundamentals in this Gracie BJJ series are far more useful to know, not to mention the program is a blast for both of us.
I've always hated the DIY video approach to things, most of them are a scam and while I can't be sure how this will work out, I watched hours of the series before making the decision to give it a go.

I've always hated the DIY video approach to things, most of them are a scam and while I can't be sure how this will work out, I watched hours of the series before making the decision to give it a go.

Good because you don't want this to happen to him:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQVlj2Yfzds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This thread really got me thinking about my son's martial arts and my more immediate goals for him. As a result he is now learning his 2nd martial art... I'm using the Gracie "Bullyproof" training videos and going through that program with him. He loves TKD, but the fundamentals in this Gracie BJJ series are far more useful to know, not to mention the program is a blast for both of us.

I've actually read really good things about the video series, and I imagine this is good father/son time for you guys.

I have mats at home for sparring, and my wife and I often go over technique after she has been to class. This has lead to a few interesting family moments- like the morning my (nearly) 3yr old daughter latched onto my arm while i was sitting on my bed an promptly threw her leg over the arm for a nearly perfect straight arm lock- had she weighed more than 30lbs it might have even worked. :biggrin:

Osu !!!
My art is Kyokushin Karate. I did Kung Fu as a teen, Muay Thai in my 20's. When I was turning 40, I decided I wanted to go through the belt system of a Japanese art and I looked at many styles and schools. I settled on Kyokushin and feel it is the best martial art there is. Because it teaches you how to FIGHT. I just get this "feeling" of settling into a fighting groove that I didn't get with Muay Thai. Kyokushin teaches basic, tradiational, Karate stances, punches, kicks and katas, but then it mixes in full contact sparring techniques and applications. The founder, Mas Oyama, studied traditional Karate, but decided that training for Karate should be more realistic in terms of actual contact. Hence, Kyokushin was founded in the early 1960s with an emphasis on brutal, spartan training. In Japan, it's known as the "Strongest Karate". I think that there are many great arts out there, and that each individual is suited for a particular style more than others. I feel Kyokushin is the best fit for me. It has taught me how to be "tougher" and given me a fighting spirit that I didn't get from other arts. BTW, George St. Pierre and actor Dolph Lundgren are Kyokushin Black Belts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYzTZUnV3Yk

Good because you don't want this to happen to him:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQVlj2Yfzds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tae Kwon do is a joke compared to just about everything that has roots from Japan.

TKD focuses on kicking which is useless considering 75% ~ of fights end up with guys rolling around on the ground.

The video of the 2 fighters is not even a fair comparison considering the size difference between the 2 fighters.

UFC now on fox... I remember when these guys fought in a cage in a glorified high school gym under a 40-watt light bulb. Boy did boxing die... good riddance... what a corrupt and messed up sport with people like Don King at the top. At least this is pretty clean now, athough I really don't like the idea of all sorts of people with no sense of morals and questionable personalities being well versed at extremely effective fighting techniques.

You mean like boxing? :p

I've trained in Kyokushin and modern Kung Fu.

Anybody been to the Gracie Academy in Torrence, CA? Planning on taking my son for the "Bullyproof" camp taught by Rener Gracie at the end of July.

Holy crap, Rener Gracie called me and chatted for 5 minutes! But damn, he's all business. He asked me if I wanted to participate in the week long class as a "helper". They will have approximately 100 kids and need volunteers. Here I was thinking my son would have fun and I'd have to go find something to do to kill 3 hours every day, but it just got fun for me too :)

Have fun Rob. That's a good academy.

Anybody been to the Gracie Academy in Torrence, CA? Planning on taking my son for the "Bullyproof" camp taught by Rener Gracie at the end of July.

Holy crap, Rener Gracie called me and chatted for 5 minutes! But damn, he's all business. He asked me if I wanted to participate in the week long class as a "helper". They will have approximately 100 kids and need volunteers. Here I was thinking my son would have fun and I'd have to go find something to do to kill 3 hours every day, but it just got fun for me too :)

That's great. I'm sure you and your son will learn a lot of the fundamentals to self defense. Have fun!

My son and I spent a great week last week with Rener. It was a fantastic experience and I can't recommend enough for anybody with children of any school age.

533738_10201946923538668_1029134491_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back