• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Upgrading speakers, what to get??

Well, I'm going to start upgrading my sound system soon, and wanted to get some opinions on what speakers everyone likes?
Anyone familiar with brands such as DIAMOND AUDIO, CDT, RAINBOW? I was planning on going with the JL Audio XR series speakers because that's all I'm familiar with is JL Audio.
So what are you guys using, and what are your opinions/recommendations.
Looking for a well rounded, crisp, clean sound.
Also, any more opinions about custom sub inclosures/subwoofers for the footwells? I did a search and found illusion audio speakers and nakamichi subwoofers. Any others recommended?
Thanks
Z

I was just thinking about this last night, and I've narrowed it down to 3 brands.

MB Quart - Q Series - always sounds nice, clear, accurate, and doesn't require a lot of power.

Dynaudio - Once I heard this it was over!

Focal - Utopia - haven't heard a set in person, but have heard that's it's one of the best.

I would suggest you go to your local stereo shop and listen to the speakers you're considering. Better yet, if you can listen to it in a car it should give you a better idea of what they sound like(or not). As for subs, I like to stick to using the same brand for all the components, but that's just me.

I dont have an nsx but I thought Id post anyway.

In my last system, I had MBQuart Qs up front and RSCs in the rear. They tweets were too bright and caused listening fatigue after short periods of time. Those went with the car when I sold it :)

Next I purchased a Dynaudio 340 3-way comp set.

I sold those for CDT Eurosports :) I was also considering Diamond HEXs, ID Chameleons and Utopias for my z06 but I ended up going for the Eurosports. Luckily I have a friend whos a dealer for CDT, hehe. If your interested in CDT gear, shoot me an email at [email protected] and ill forward you my friends info so you can get some quotes.

Last edited:
Dynaudio are really sweet system.... definetely worth thinking about.

also i would reconmend Focals, the Utopia are nice but the Polykevlars are nice too one step down from the utopias.

As for MB Quart, they are nice if you looking for something loud..I think their tweets are a little to harsh for my ears.

For JL's Line of speakers, I had a set of VR before, very nice sound quality, but doesn't get loud loud...

Great info guys!! I'm going to do some more research before I dish out money for the speakers.
I really want a nice all around system, but I do want it to hit when I'm in the mood. :D
Does anyone know how the JL Audio XR series compare to some of these others??
Best Regards....
Z

My opinion, the XR isnt' really worth the money....you can get somethign better with that price. Diamond Audio Hex series are a nice set too around that price range. Very nice quality

I have the Focal Utopia's and love them. They sound real sweet.

I agree about the MB tweets, they could be pretty bright.

I'll try to stop by the shops this week/weekend and see what's new.

There's one set of Utopia's out here(that I know of) that are still for sale, too bad no one has installed it so I can hear it.

nsxlover,
have you heard Dynaudio speakers? how would you compare between the two?

No, I have not heard them. I do agree that the MB's are too bright. I really do like my Focal's though. I had to have the door speaker box's made so I could put in the 6" speakers.

I used Focal Polykevlar 165K2s in my Integra and I loved them. Previously, I had used Canton exclusively because they were just the sweetest speakers I have ever heard. However, my suggestion is that unless you have ears of gold I wouldn't even bother spending that kind of money for car audio speakers. Although I think the JL XR series speakers are really nice for the money.

Check out this site, it's a lot more specific for your application:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/

Ok, did some reading and still can't make up my mind. I'm leaning towards the JL Audio XR650 components. I asked a friend and he said nothing will beat them for the money. Also still have the MB Quart Q 6.5 2 ways in mind and maybe the Focal Polykevlar 165K2s.
As for those others, way more then I want to spend for speakers. I'd rather make my car faster!! :p I'll let everyone know what I get and how it turns out.
Best Regards
Z

I used to do a LOT of car audio....

I think Dali sells some custom-NSX speaker mounting brackets, and they're gonna make speaker installation VERY nice.

That being said, please do one thing:
Go listen to lots of speakers. There is no review, no consensus, or anything else that can make up for your own audition. I can tell you what I've liked, I can tell you what lots of other people have liked, and I can tell you what looks built pretty well. That being said, none of that matters. The only thing that matters is what it sounds like to you!

Okay, enough preaching. The MBQ's tweets will rip your ears out unpleasantly, so spring for the Dynaudio's and you'll never look back....

:)

--Ed

I use Diamond Audio Hex 6.0S (S stands for Silk dome tweeter) and I like them. They also have the "A" version with aluminum dome tweeter which will be a bit brighter. I prefer silk or other soft dome tweeters over most metal tweeters because in general those metal tweeters like MB Quartz are too bright for my taste.

Last edited:
I recently had a pair of MB Quart PSD216 6.5" installed in my doors with 2 tweeters. I disconnected the floor sub and the phone speaker in-between the two seats. The speakers were very expensive, but WAY worth it. I had a 3000GT with 8 infinity speakers and I think my NSX sounds a lot more crisp and cleaner. I'll attach a pic of the tweeter for you.

GOOD LUCK!!

Attachments

• nsx interior0r1.jpg
    nsx interior0r1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 273
I wish everyone was local so I could just meet up with you guys and hear your systems. I'm going to stop by at a local hign end stereo shop and see if I can hear what they have. Hopefully I can make up my mind. :p
Regards
Z

Back