• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Upper Rear bulkhead liner install.

Are you talking about the interior rear upper trim piece that is pretty much right behind your head? If so, it needs to be installed before the two left and right rear trim panels that are below it. The upper trim panel has a guide pin on it which fits in a hole in the body and when the pin is aligned it should be just a matter of pushing the panel into place and the plastic clips should retain it. Make sure that the plastic retaining clips are correctly positioned and that they are not broken / missing. Once the top trim is in place the tops of the two lower trim panels fit under the bottom edge and you push them to lock in place.

If the top trim has been removed a few times the guide pin may have become bent or broken right off which will make lining the clips up with the holes challenging. If the plastic retaining clips are old they get hard and may slide out of place as you start fastening. A little spot of butyl putty can help hold the clips in place.

The limited details on panel removal / installation are covered on page 20-37 of the 1991 service manual and you can find a link to the manual in the NSX Prime Library.

Don't reverse the disassembly order for reassembly???

Agree, the service manual could definitely use better instructions if p 20-37 (20-38 in my 1995 SM) is all we've got to go on. I found for taking the panels off, it seemed easier to remove the left & right rear trim panels first. Start with the 2 lower clips, then work up to the 2 upper clips, and then slide the each panel down and out. You can then work your fingers or a plastic spatula tool around the clips that hold the rear upper trim panel pop it out.

To put it back together though, I find it's difficult to get the left & right trim panels oriented to their clips and also to the 4 metal flaps on the rear upper trim panel, if the upper trim is installed first. I find you can visually line up the left & right trim panel clips if the upper trim panel is not yet installed. Once the left and right rear trim panels are installed, hook those upper trim panel metal tabs behind the left, right, & center rear trim panels and then feel with your fingers to line up the upper clips on the rear upper trim panel.

Last edited:
Back