• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Urgent :) Question - how are the tires held on an NSX?

Ok, ok, very carefully, I'm sure. I'm in the middle of tearing down the brake system to replace the pads (which weren't that worn, I think, despite what I was told when I bought the car 2 years ago), the lines, and powdercoating the calipers.

I have the right front wheel off right now. I also pulled the caliper, the disc, and while I was doing this all I also removed the splash guard.

The question is this -- I don't have good jack stands, and I wanted to get the rotors turned, if they need to be, and the calipers coated.

Is it safe to put the hub back on the suspension pieces, and then put the wheel back on the hub (without the brake rotor), and then let the whole thing sit for a few days like that until the parts come back?

Or will that possibly damage the bolts that the tire is held on with?

Sorry for the ignorance, but it's late, and it's dark, and I can't tell what is safe or unsafe.

I read through the FAQ on a lot of the brake sections, but none of them seemed to mention this.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the recomendation.

I guess the question is that this car will be sitting on these stands in the driveway for at least a week; would it be safe held up on jackstands for that much time?

I was thinking that having it on the ground would be safest, but if jack stands are the way to go, then that's what I'll have to do...

Buy a set of jackstands for $40 or so and leave the car on them. It will be fine. A cheap jackstand is typically designed to hold 2000 pounds or so... you'll be using FOUR of them to hold up a 3000 pound car. Do the math. They won't be stressed at all.

EDR

Also put the jack stands on plywood or you will have divits in you blacktop, like the ones in my driveway. Assuming you have a blacktop driveway that is.

Back