• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

V1 Targa installation

Tomorrow I expect my targa V1 mount to come in. The unit actually mounts below the engine glass pane (above the center channel speaker). Because I'm not that experienced with general car work, I will be asking a lot of questions during the installation. (which i will fully document to help others).

My first question should have a straight forward answer. --- How do I remove the long trim piece below the divider glass? The following thread describes it, but it didnt work for me: http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000039.html Any suggestions? Thanks

BTW - Here is a picture of what the mount looks like
tmount.jpg

Not sure where i will put the remote display yet. I need to think about it....

It's been a while since I removed mine, but I thought you pushed the bottom in and up, not down. I'll try it on my car and let you know.

Thanks Lud! I got the piece off, it just required some forceful pulling. I also got the mount today. The base plate is around an inch bigger than the unit on each side, and i am currently unclear how the unit is supposed to attach to the mount. I'm going to try to contact MJ for the answer. I guess velcro is always a possibility.

Next question - I have the wire harness for the V1 that needs to tap into a power line. So the question is, can I just take any red wire, and splice the v1 sucka into it? Does anyone now if any of those wires beneath the trim piece are power wires?

Thanks!

You can splice into the cigarette lighter which is switched on with the ignition.

ok - update time!

I took all the back panels off, as well as the center console. The unit mounts to the mount via velcro. Now all thats left for me to figure out at the moment is where to splice in the power wire.

First of all - heres a pic of the installed mount (pre velcro)

mount.jpg

Notice that i put the mount behind the existing wires. I'm attempting to figure out whether this will interfere with their grounding.

now here is a picture of the two wire harnesses that feed into the ash try assembly. Notice the one on the right has a red wire. Does anyone know if i can safely splice into this wire? (The v1 comes with a little brakcet to splice into a wire)

wire.jpg

Thanks!

Ok - a correction - the harness on the right (4 wires) appears to be for the grill on bottom right of the console (climate sensor?) The left harness appears to feed to the cigarette lighter. I tried using the clip included with the V1 to splice the red wire on the left harness. Then i connected to a random ground point, but the V1 did not power up. Either the splice didnt contact the cable, or the red wire is not a power wire. I can't read that pesky diagram in the service manual. Can anyone lend me any help? Thanks!

Well, since im impatient, I went ahead and spliced it into the clock wire, and everything works! Once I get the remote display installed (it will occupy the space in the ashtray - i will post a stream of pictures to this thread. Thanks to all who had input.

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
... I went ahead and spliced it into the clock wire, and everything works!

Is the clock a "hot" lead or switched with the ignition? If it's not switched it's going to be a PITA always turning the V1 on and off.

Also, I was going to install my concealled display in the ash try too, but decided against it because it's not in the line of sight there. With it velcro'd to the steering column I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

There are 2 power lines to the clock. 1 is switched, on is "always on". I tapped the switched one of course. As for the location of the display, i know line of site is important, but I want the installation to look as clean as possible... I wonder if I can integrate it into the clock somehow?

Here's how I did it. If you need any help you can email me.
View

View

View

good luck
Paul M

[This message has been edited by PAUL M (edited 09 August 2001).]

[This message has been edited by PAUL M (edited 09 August 2001).]

whoa guys! Don't take your consoles apart to get a + line! There's an open ignition-on fuse connector in the fuse junction box near the driver's left foot. Check it out. I believe it is the fourth on from the left on top.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Well... I wanted to put the remote audio in the ashtray so it was necessary. Actually, I just finished installing it the other day, and It looks pretty clean! I'll post pics soon.

Back