• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

V10 won't be FF.

There was some discussion in the next gen threads about the next NSX possibly being a V10 with Front Engine.

The latest Automotive news has an interview with TAKEO FUKUI, President of Honda.

They ask:

"What powertrain would fit a V10?"

He says" That's a secret. It won't be FF." (Front Engine, Front Drive.)

He also talks about making a V8 for new models, but nothing concrete.

Last edited:
NetViper, you're going to start a riot here ;-). The article says it Won't be a FF.

edit: Well only half a riot, I just noticed your thread title said won't.

Animate said:
NetViper, you're going to start a riot here ;-). The article says it Won't be a FF.

edit: Well only half a riot, I just noticed your thread title said won't.

Sorry, I typo'd :)

NSX-Racer said:
You're a bit late anyhow - posted some time ago here . :wink:

That article is also in this issue of Automotive News.

This one talks a lot about Fuel Cell technology Honda is developing.

NSX-Racer said:
Quote from the 1st post itself in the other thread:
The company has said that the NSX successor won't be front drive, meaning it will be either rear drive or awd.

My post was about it not being FRONT ENGINED. I already knew it was not Front Wheel Drive. :mad:

Ah, okay, I missed that point - but did anybody ever thought that the successor of the NSX could have a front engine? If so it would be nothing special and not worth to be called "NSX-successor". I claim that statement to be some kind of Honda humour... :wink:

NetViper said:
My post was about it not being FRONT ENGINED. I already knew it was not Front Wheel Drive. :mad:

Saying it is not FF doesn't mean it's not front engined. It could be FR or F4WD. I would prefer to see them stick to the MR formula, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a 4WD front engined competitor to the new Toyota. They would probably have a better chance of economic success with that rather than a hardcore supercar.

So is it going to be front wheel drive? Or front engined and front wheel drive?

Do you think there is going to be another NSX? Anybody every see the Honda Accord commercial?

:wink:

Bryan said:
Saying it is not FF doesn't mean it's not front engined. It could be FR or F4WD. I would prefer to see them stick to the MR formula, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a 4WD front engined competitor to the new Toyota. They would probably have a better chance of economic success with that rather than a hardcore supercar.

Beat me to it.

The post I made regarding a front mount mid-engine was just me doing guess work BTW-
I included that I had no formal source for my guess beyond a "feeling" I have that this is what it will be.

To repeat the disclaimer-

I have no evidence- I have no media references, or trans-pacific flight conversations w/ key Honda executives to cite for my theory (this is in fact only a theory) but based on the moves I have seen in the Acura brand as of late- this is my best guess as to how many jellybeans are in the jar.

and the guess...

Front mounted Mid-engine- SH-AWD and packed full of Techno-gadgets.

Good news is- If this is so, then the current car will be that much more revered, and we might see re-sale level out across the model years.

I will also renew my statement that I love the current car, and will always believe it is one of the finest automobiles to come out during the 90's

Philip

A front engine, front wheel drive V-10 would be the ultimate set up. :tongue:

White92 said:
A front engine, front wheel drive V-10 would be the ultimate set up. :tongue:

That would be sweet! It would have traction and wheel hop similar to a turbo civic. :tongue:

Timbo said:
252 HP? Is that the figure for the Automatic, and that's the one they use? Sheesh..
It doesnt matter that much when there're comparing the NSX's V-6 power to the power of V-10's in a Viper and CGT. I think there're just comparing the NSX to the Viper and CGT to show what the new NSX V-10 should make.

Takeo Fukui, president of Honda Motor Co., says his company is working hard on fuel cell technology. He also is keen to develop a V-10 engine and possibly a V-8.

He was interviewed Aug. 4 by Automotive News Staff Reporter Yuzo Yamaguchi and other reporters in Tokyo.

Is it possible to work with other automakers on the development of a fuel cell car for volume production?

It may be possible to do so at a stage of volume production. But now is the time to develop that technology, so we won't rely on other automakers to work together. We're doing it independently. But we're open to GM because we're doing business with each other. But we (Honda) haven't got any request from GM for now. If we get any, we would like to give it positive consideration.

You said Honda is open to General Motors. Is that because Honda supplies V-6 engines to GM?

I think we needed to make contacts with each other when we started supplying the engines to GM. What we're expecting to get from GM is information about U.S. political and regulatory moves. I think GM also wanted to obtain Honda's technology, although they have ties with Toyota.

Are you working harder on fuel cell technology than on hybrids?

We're working on fuel cell technology very seriously. A hybrid is also needed. An immediate challenge for hybrids is to improve fuel efficiency and to cut costs. A fuel cell is an ultimate (technology). But it would take more than 10 years to turn it into commercial use.

Why will you develop a V-10, skipping a V-8?

That's because of (Formula One racing). We'll use F1 technology and an F1 image. We should use that image for our business.

Is building a V-10 taking a step toward a V-8?

Of course, it would be. But we have no immediate plan to do that. After we build a V-10, why couldn't we make a V-8? I won't rule out the possibility. But for now, we have no idea about which model will use a V-8. We could mention it in the next midterm plan (starting in April 2008). I'm thinking secretly that it's about time to start thinking about it.

Does building a V-8 engine mean you will expand your U.S. business?

We have the Ridgeline and MDX. If we won't offer those customers upscale versions above those models, that would be a problem.

What powertrain would fit a V-10?

That's secret. It won't be FF (front engine and front drive).

Will the Fit hurt the U.S. model mix?

We won't let it happen. In Japan, the Fit has hurt the Civic. That was a global tendency. But the U.S. Civic this time will be upscale, so that will make a difference. The old Civic, a five-door version, and the Fit five-door hatchback are close in terms of image. But this time, the Civic will offer two-and four-door versions, so I'm not concerned (about cannibalization between the two).

autoweek
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102993

MAJOR STONER said:
Takeo Fukui, president of Honda Motor Co., says his company is working hard on fuel cell technology. He also is keen to develop a V-10 engine and possibly a V-8.

He was interviewed Aug. 4 by Automotive News Staff Reporter Yuzo Yamaguchi and other reporters in Tokyo.

Is it possible to work with other automakers on the development of a fuel cell car for volume production?

It may be possible to do so at a stage of volume production. But now is the time to develop that technology, so we won't rely on other automakers to work together. We're doing it independently. But we're open to GM because we're doing business with each other. But we (Honda) haven't got any request from GM for now. If we get any, we would like to give it positive consideration.

You said Honda is open to General Motors. Is that because Honda supplies V-6 engines to GM?

I think we needed to make contacts with each other when we started supplying the engines to GM. What we're expecting to get from GM is information about U.S. political and regulatory moves. I think GM also wanted to obtain Honda's technology, although they have ties with Toyota.

Are you working harder on fuel cell technology than on hybrids?

We're working on fuel cell technology very seriously. A hybrid is also needed. An immediate challenge for hybrids is to improve fuel efficiency and to cut costs. A fuel cell is an ultimate (technology). But it would take more than 10 years to turn it into commercial use.

That's because of (Formula One racing). We'll use F1 technology and an F1 image. We should use that image for our business.

Is building a V-10 taking a step toward a V-8?

Of course, it would be. But we have no immediate plan to do that. After we build a V-10, why couldn't we make a V-8? I won't rule out the possibility. But for now, we have no idea about which model will use a V-8. We could mention it in the next midterm plan (starting in April 2008). I'm thinking secretly that it's about time to start thinking about it.

Does building a V-8 engine mean you will expand your U.S. business?

We have the Ridgeline and MDX. If we won't offer those customers upscale versions above those models, that would be a problem.

What powertrain would fit a V-10?

That's secret. It won't be FF (front engine and front drive).

Will the Fit hurt the U.S. model mix?

We won't let it happen. In Japan, the Fit has hurt the Civic. That was a global tendency. But the U.S. Civic this time will be upscale, so that will make a difference. The old Civic, a five-door version, and the Fit five-door hatchback are close in terms of image. But this time, the Civic will offer two-and four-door versions, so I'm not concerned (about cannibalization between the two).

autoweek
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102993

"That's because of (Formula One racing). We'll use F1 technology and an F1 image. We should use that image for our business"

With Toyota in the game (Panasonic), BAR Honda is there main competitor, and you've all heard that the next "Supra" will more than likely use a V-10.

I just find it funny that since F1 is using V-8's in 06', the V-10 logic isn't QUITE there, but you get the jist.

I predict 4.5L V-10 with 500hp.

They say 72 degrees is the the best V angle.

Engines are smoother with more cylinders like a v12 almost free of vibration, I wish Honda would consider a 4.0 liter V12, wouldn't have to worry about torque with more combustion per revolution.

On the other hand every V10 I read does mention end to end vibrations, and that a balance shaft is required .

Back