• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

value of 1st gen keep going up

I own a red 05 that is not a garage queen. I jokingly say I am not an art collector I'm a car enthusiast and former racer. ( 1976 SCCA SW regional champion G production,) and I still enjoy an occasional spirited drive. I bought it used in 07 for 60k. I have never race or tract the car but it does have 65k on the clock. I recently looked on autotrader for a nationwide search and found 3. The least asking price is 168k. I'm wondering if people are getting these prices and if the community thinks these prices will hold or go down in time or actually increase. I realize they are rare but so many newer sports cars have so much more technology and power.

depends on the pool of buyers..and right now the generation that massaged their loins while gazing upon the nsx in the 90's are making money....plus all nice JDM are on the rise...

I was shopping for a while before buying my NSX last Fall, and from what I've seen:
  1. there are quite a few NSX's on Auto Trader and other such sites at very high prices that have been on there a very long time. I.e. those are not selling
  2. The excellent NSX Current Market Analysis maintained by @RacerXwing has been consistently accurate compared to what I see auctions on BringATrailer and CarsAndBids close for. Without knowing what modifiers (farther down the sheet) to apply for your car, it looks like it predicts $100k-$118k.
IMO the future value of NSX's will track with the disposable income level of guys who grew up playing Need for Speed and Gran Turismo in the late 90's. The NSX is their dream car. I think most guys in that age range are still at the point of having kids to support, so their disposable income will be higher in the future, and so NSX values will be also.

I checked on autotrader this morning and there were 4 05s for sale. The low asking was 180 to a ridiculous price of 275. I'm curious if any will sell and for what

AutoTrader doesn't show how long the listing has been up, but CarGurus does, and three of those cars are listed on CarGurus also. The Imola Orange one has been for sale for 363 days. The yellow one with the rims has been for sale for 432 days. And the silver one in front of the dealership building has been for sale for 555 days. So I think you will be waiting a while before those sell :)

I thought those prices were ridiculous I have mine on an agreed value policy for 130 I thought that was a little more realistic.

As a 90’s loin massager, I tend to agree with the $110k-$130k number for your low mileage 2005. There seemed to be a run on pricing in 2022 to early 2023. Unfortunately I got caught up in that due to FOMO.

However, I do think the market value will rise, just not at the rate we saw from 2018-2022.

BAT Auctions seems to be a good indicator of market rates and car enthusiasts sales.

I hope they don't go up much more or a lot of us may get afraid to drive them/insure them.

In hindsight, I sort of can't believe I found the courage to ask my wife when the albatross popped up on Autotrader here. (pop-ups, best color, monochromatic interior, ABS, never been one listed on BAT) They only made 10 & I know at least one was trashed, so finding one that had already been imported to Canada... I'm so glad I got it!

It will be tough to replace, which does add a bit of sphincter tone driving, but YOLO.

Last edited:
Outside of 90s loin massagers like myself gaining more disposable income I still haven’t driven many cars that still raise my pulse in the way a true analog car does.

Non assisted steering, NA, manual, mid engine, great visibility, light weight. It’s the same ingredient list of the GMA T50. It’s the end of an era for cars with EVs/hybrids, electric steering/brakes/suspension coming online. I doubt we’ll be able to go back and therefore these will always gain value.

I truly believe the NSX is undervalued compared to some peers (r34 gtr, air cooled Porsches) having driven those, I honestly feel they do not compare.

Outside of 90s loin massagers like myself gaining more disposable income I still haven’t driven many cars that still raise my pulse in the way a true analog car does.

Non assisted steering, NA, manual, mid engine, great visibility, light weight. It’s the same ingredient list of the GMA T50. It’s the end of an era for cars with EVs/hybrids, electric steering/brakes/suspension coming online. I doubt we’ll be able to go back and therefore these will always gain value.

I truly believe the NSX is undervalued compared to some peers (r34 gtr, air cooled Porsches) having driven those, I honestly feel they do not compare.

The R34 wasn't sold in the US so I can't really comment on it, but it seems like most Asian products are undervalued (less costly) here relative to their European counterparts. Fine Asian cuisine, watches, fountain pens, cars.

Great if you want to have the experience for a lower cost of entry!

classic.com is a great place to see recent auction sale prices. I think it only makes sense to look at the past year (they show 23 sales of 2002-2005 cars)- who cares what something sold for two or three or ten years ago.

The values vary a lot- high-buck sales only go to cars with very low mileage, clean carfax, perfect condition, and excellent maintenance history. Just look at each individual sale and see how your car compares.

They also show some cars currently for sale- there are 3 listed today.

Back