• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valve Cover Gasket replacement

Hey everybody,

So I was in the US for a couple weeks and I got to drive my black 2002 around. Great fun!

I did however uncover a small oil leak coming from the valve cover gasket which is going to need to be replaced. Any idea on how much this runs? Estimates online are pretty reasonable.

Any recommendations on a good shop around the bay area/peninsula area? The car is garaged in San Mateo.

Thanks!

Basic r&r. Anyone with straight hands can do this. Search for 5% coupon here and get new gaskets from the dealer. Inspect cam plugs before you do the job.

Basic r&r. Anyone with straight hands can do this. Search for 5% coupon here and get new gaskets from the dealer. Inspect cam plugs before you do the job.

Is it that easy? I've never done anything on a car beyond changing the oil/air filter/sparkplugs and that was on an old jeep in which it was all very straightforward (and that you could crawl under without any trouble). I'm definitely not afraid to get my hands dirty but I don't want to be irresponsible with a car like my NSX.

If it's really a simple/intuitive process taking into consideration i've never done it before I'd give it a shot, but if you're assuming that I have some kind of experience doing similar things on other cars and am just intimidated by the NSX this would be my first time doing anything of the sort.

It is basic stuff. You don't have to crawl under. But there is a trick to remove rear valve cover - rotate it 90 deg. Just go slow and carefully do everything. I may be able to help but only towards the EOM.

On the later cars, you must remove the back bar mount. Not a big deal, but you will not get the cover off without removing it. Everything else is straight forward. Don't forget to get a tube of Honda Bond for the corners of the gasket. Good luck. Jerry

Also remember these valve covers are magnesium. One slip or mishandling of can lead to a cracked edge. If you have a good price on labor, I'd say leave it to a professional. Some things are worth less headaches in my mind. It's not a hard fix but Murphey's law is a mo-fo.

Also remember these valve covers are magnesium. One slip or mishandling of can lead to a cracked edge. If you have a good price on labor, I'd say leave it to a professional. Some things are worth less headaches in my mind. It's not a hard fix but Murphey's law is a mo-fo.

Dont let this scare you. I bang around NSX stuff all the time, its the reason I own a Honda.

Valve cover is an easy change but if you dont feel confident the dealer will make you feel comfortable.

Dont let this scare you. I bang around NSX stuff all the time, its the reason I own a Honda.

Valve cover is an easy change but if you dont feel confident the dealer will make you feel comfortable.
Dealer never makes anyone comfortable 😂

No fear. Just be careful is all I am putting into context. You'd be surprised how many damaged valve covers I see on the shelves over at Driving Ambition. Delicate they are.

Back