• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Vinylex (Lexol) question

Does Vinylex contain formaldehyde? I used it once and it seems very similar to Armor-All.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

The best product I've found for treating vinyl is Zymol Vinyl. It leaves the dash and other vinyl parts with a satiny sheen and a pleasant smell.

Zymol lists all the ingredients in its products on its website, so you know exactly what you're working with. Zymol Vinyl contains Lemon Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sesame Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide (derived from coconut oil), Cocoamide, Lecithin and Xanthan Gum. It contains NO formaldehyde or other toxic substances.

The producers of chemicals, including automotive detailing products, are required by federal law to compile a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and to make it available upon request. The MSDS discloses the components in the products and any safety issues that they represent. Most, but not all, of the makers of detailing products, including Zymol, 3M, and Meguiars, will be happy to provide you with a copy of their MSDS upon request. Beware any which refuses to do so.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 18 May 2002).]

Originally posted by Russ:
Does Vinylex contain formaldehyde? I used it once and it seems very similar to Armor-All.

From a Vinylex technical consultant:

Vinylex contains DMDM hydantoin as a preservative. This preservative does release extremely low levels of formaldehyde.

Can any CEs here explain what DMDM hydantoin is and what effect it might have on the longevity of the NSX dash material?

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 21 May 2002).]

Back