• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

VIS hood w/duct; owners speak up!

VIS R hood w/radiator duct; owners speak up!

yeah, i know there have been threads on this, but the availability of the rad ducts seems to change frequently and my questions re fitment of rad ducts don't seem to be answered. what radiator ducts are people actually using with VIS R hood? so, if you all don't mind, VIS owners with radiator ducts speak up!
thanks.

Last edited:
yeah, i know there have been threads on this, but the availability of the ducts seems to change frequently and my questions re fitment don't seem to be answered. so, if you all don't mind, VIS owners with ducts speak up!
thanks.

Mine fits fine - bolted it on for trial fit, changed nothing and had it painted.

I needed to open the hood rod insert hole a bit and file the washer nozzle openings, but that was it. I use it with a Science of Speed aluminum duct - which may or may not still be available.

I needed to open the hood rod insert hole a bit and file the washer nozzle openings, but that was it. I use it with a Science of Speed aluminum duct - which may or may not still be available.

I also had to open up the hole in the hood for the hood rod to fit it.
The washer nozzles fit fine with my VIS-hood, but the holes in the underside into which the tube goes was too small and the hood too deep for the plugs to be used. So I just pulled the angled piece from the tube and plugged the tube straight into the nozzles. Works fine.

I still have the new Dali Racing carbon-fiber air-duct but I still need to install it. This duct is wider than the original NSX-R duct and I need to remove the ABS protection bracket but haven't figured out yet where this is bolted to the car.

Mine fits fine - bolted it on for trial fit, changed nothing and had it painted.

Aluminum duct is not avail. anymore.:frown: I wish it were. MVM you got pm.:smile:

Its not realy realy perfect fit its depend how its going to close sometimes fit well sometimes no i think its depend about the torsion of CF but in the end its not so bad But if you are a maniac don't buy

Regards
Andrea

web.jpg

web.jpg

How necessary is the rad duct? My NSX has never even hinted at getting hot. Even when I have pushed it on the track I have never seen it get hot. I would think that going from an OEM hood to the ducted hood would be enough keep things cool if you were getting a little hot.

Has anyone with heat issues installed the rad duct and shown an improvement?

the hood is probably more looks than function without the duct...

How necessary is the rad duct? My NSX has never even hinted at getting hot. Even when I have pushed it on the track I have never seen it get hot. I would think that going from an OEM hood to the ducted hood would be enough keep things cool if you were getting a little hot.

Has anyone with heat issues installed the rad duct and shown an improvement?

Without the duct, the hood will lift from the air pressure and you will notice this when you look at the gap it creates over the fenders at speed.

Without the duct, the hood will lift from the air pressure and you will notice this when you look at the gap it creates over the fenders at speed.

ahh..so more than just cooling it helps to stabalize the hood on the car.

I've heard Hrant mention this before but I haven't experienced this yet (the hood lifting at speed). Either I never get to speeds to experience this (I've only gotten to about 120 with the hood on) or I'm too focused on actually driving to have noticed the hood lifting.

But the hood is effective at venting even without the duct. During a drive through the mountains we took a break and pulled off to the side of the road. I heard the fan kick on and thought I'd check the vent on the hood. Air was RUSHING out from the vent and not down on my ankles where I'd usually feel other cars have the fan air hit me (I also have the front under aero stuff). I would imagine that the duct would further enhance this but the air from the fan has to go somewhere and it was shooting out of the hood pretty good. I'd have to imagine that at speed this venting is enhanced since I think it's a low pressure area at the top of the hood (which is why the hood lifts as Hrant has witnessed, though I have not).

J

James, you are pretty much confirming what I have said and noticed it on the same type of hood that you have (albeit it was on the track and I was the passenger). Air was RUSHING through the vent after you parked the car says it all!!!!

I have the DF undertray and the battery undertray but no vented hood yet. I took the rubber seal from the cowl area just to let some air out and I can tell you that evenh in normal street driving the air coming through the inside vents now is hotter than before ...... all showing how much air/pressure is really being pushed through the radiator and thus under the hood that a vented hood should be effective in cooling, especially with a duct.

I remember setting at a red light and seeing the heat waves directed out of the hood by the duct. No I never had heating issues prior to the hood but it's nice to know the heat is'nt keeping everything under my hood hot like before. Just my .02:smile:

I remember setting at a red light and seeing the heat waves directed out of the hood by the duct. No I never had heating issues prior to the hood but it's nice to know the heat is'nt keeping everything under my hood hot like before. Just my .02:smile:

I've noticed this as well....I also noticed about a 7 degree drop in water temps (on average) here in SW Florida with the hood and duct in place. I have a AEM serial guage, the readout confirmed this.

Back