• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VVIS Butterflys Check

Well I had the day off today so I finally got around to using the borescope I got for Christmas to check the VVIS plate screws on my car and I thought I'd share my findings. Its been nagging me since I read the threads about the screws backing out over time and potentially causing serious engine damage if they roll around and fall into the plenums. So as a Presidents day project , and after some fiddling to wedge the vacuum diaphragm open and reinforcing the borescope optics cable with a closehanger, I was able to get good views of all the valve screws front and back.
(I've included some borescope images I captured of the rear bank).

DIGI0001.JPGDIGI0002.JPGDIGI0003.JPG
DIGI0004.JPGDIGI0005.JPGDIGI0006.JPG

Apparently if all the swages punched on the screws are perpendicular to the tube then
it is as it left the factory. With the exception of #2 above, which might be a little off (although
I think it may be a bit of a optical illusion), all the screws were fine. The oily deposits I believe to
be residue of throttle body cleaner.

Since I plan to be driving my NSX well into my retirement someday I think I'm going to add this to my
periodic maintenance schedule; probably every 3 years or so should be adequate.

Anyway, its one less thing to worry about.:smile:
v/r
Butch

Back