• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Want a GREAT sounding inexpensive exhaust?

fcb23b47.jpg

The back view looks great, but when you get an opportunity I would appreciate seeing a side view (both sides) of the muffler installation...to see how it hangs in the rear valance area.....A friend of mine has have access to a pipe bender and can help me install my own. (From the side, on the ground, I can see my stock exhaust plumbing quite well) Further, how does the weight compare to the stock exhaust? Thanks

Originally posted by CFNSX:
The back view looks great, but when you get an opportunity I would appreciate seeing a side view (both sides) of the muffler installation...to see how it hangs in the rear valance area.....A friend of mine has have access to a pipe bender and can help me install my own. (From the side, on the ground, I can see my stock exhaust plumbing quite well) Further, how does the weight compare to the stock exhaust? Thanks

This is the best I can do. I live so far out in the country all I can get is dial-up (which really $ux) and it takes forever to do anything. Thus the cropped photo. It mounts exactly like stock but is smaller and new hangers will have to be attached or cut 'em off the stock and reuse them. I didn't weigh 'em but it's much lighter than stock even though it's a much more sturdy/beefier muffler.

fcb1cc64.jpg

Edwardo - Don't hold your breath on a clip of mine. I have no way to get one into my computer.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KellyJoe (edited 02 February 2003).]

Anyone know where I can get one online? My muffler guy just told me that it will take him about 2-3 weeks. Thanks - Z

Originally posted by KellyJoe:
I'm sure this is somewhat of a repost because I have read a similar one but just had to give a big thanks to Will at Cantrell Concepts for turning me on to this one.

It's a Flowmaster PN:42582 bought from 21ST Century out of Florida for a mere $82. (800 number available from Flowmaster) Install cost of $120 plus price of tips.

Was told it sounds like a GruppeM but at a cost of about $300 vs. $2600, I think the math is simple. If your going for great sound to match The Car, this bang for the buck setup can't be beat. My personal opinion of course.

Originally posted by NSX FoYoAss:
Anyone know where I can get one online? My muffler guy just told me that it will take him about 2-3 weeks. Thanks - Z

Found 21st Century's number. They're in FL and can get you one in about 3-4 days. The number is 1-800-276-6399. They'll take orders over the phone and ship it right out to you. Good luck.

Awesome!! I was looking online and everyone was asking $95 - $110 for the muffler plus shipping. Even my muffler guy said his cost was ~ $100 bucks. I'll give 21st Century a call. Thanks again!! - Z

Found 21st Century's number. They're in FL and can get you one in about 3-4 days. The number is 1-800-276-6399. They'll take orders over the phone and ship it right out to you. Good luck.

This is the best I can do.
Thanks for the great pictures......this is a really clean installation and it looks leaner than stock. I'm going to get one of these exhausts as well.

Originally posted by CFNSX:
This is the best I can do.
Thanks for the great pictures......this is a really clean installation and it looks leaner than stock. I'm going to get one of these exhausts as well.

Cool....Let me know what you think whenever you get it installed. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If it isn't to your liking, I'm sure someone here would be happy take it off your hands. Good luck.

great idea.. now where can i find those tips.any info re Rytech ?? be useful. It would seem to be easy to get the muffler.
many thanks..guys

I'm sure this is somewhat of a repost because I have read a similar one but just had to give a big thanks to Will at Cantrell Concepts for turning me on to this one.

It's a Flowmaster PN:42582 bought from 21ST Century out of Florida for a mere $82 + shipping. (800-276-6399) Install cost of $120 plus price of tips.

Was told it sounds like a GruppeM but at a cost of about $300 vs. $2600, I think the math is simple. If your going for great sound to match The Car, this bang for the buck setup can't be beat. My personal opinion of course.

[This message has been edited by KellyJoe (edited 03 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KellyJoe (edited 03 February 2003).]

That is one hell of a deal! I called Flowmaster and the MSRP $146.73 and the Jobber price is $110.95. Even with shipping and no sales tax it is cheaper to buy it from these guys. I hope the deal is real. I try calling and got an answering machine.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:
That is one hell of a deal! I called Flowmaster and the MSRP $146.73 and the Jobber price is $110.95. Even with shipping and no sales tax it is cheaper to buy it from these guys. I hope the deal is real. I try calling and got an answering machine.

One hell of a deal indeed!! That's why I just had to share it. Had to look back at my account in Quicken to recall the total damage. A whopping $91. That's everything to my door via UPS.

Hang in there on calling. I read an article in a trade magazine at the muffler shop while having it installed. 21st Century is a true Mom, Pop, and family outfit. They have a HUGE inventory and not even a sign outside as to what kind of business they're doing. Low key volume sales to shops and other ditributors from what I gathered. This is as real a deal as it gets. I couldn't believe it either.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, its true. My muffler guy said his cost was about $100 - $110. And searching online got me a price of $95 - $110, plus shipping. So I gave 21st Century a call and paid $82, not sure about the shipping charges thou. I should get it tomorrow or Thursday and I should have it installed Sat. if time permits.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:

Been there done that.
who ever getting Flowmaster will be very sorry after install that cheap stuff on your nsx.

Originally posted by AZNSX:
Been there done that.
who ever getting Flowmaster will be very sorry after install that cheap stuff on your nsx.

Please be more descriptive. Did you not like the sound? Did the muffler blow out? What did you not like about this system?

Please be more descriptive. Did you not like the sound? Did the muffler blow out? What did you not like about this system?
[/QUOTE]

the muffler sound great for first few months then the sound change to bumble bee noise and very loud.
the system will be rust because it made of material called galvanize.

ps. this system is intended mostly for domestic only.

AZNSX,
The word rust and galvanize contradict each other. It is not a type of material like aluminum or steel. Galvanize is a coating applied to metal to "prevent" rust; usually for iron or steel. If you have had issues in the past with rust on galvanized metal my guess is that there were other factors associated with improper coating or lack of galvanization in the area where rust formed. Hopefully this is not the case with this particular muffler. Unless the vehicle is subjected to harsh conditions like extreme moisture or road salts mufflers can last a very long time.

I think it's great others have found an alternative solution to the higher priced exhaust systems that are currently available. Even if it starts to sound like crap after a while it won't be a big deal to try something else since there wasn't a huge investment made in the first place. You could afford to replace it 8 or 9 times for what most NSX aftermarket exhausts sell for. (not that anyone would want to)

Live and learn. That's the name of the game. Hopefully those who try this muffler will post their results for the rest of us to decide. As for me I'm saving up for the ol' JGTC Parallel exhaust. I haven't heard of a better sounding exhaust yet.

Originally posted by Chris W:
AZNSX,
The word rust and galvanize contradict each other. It is not a type of material like aluminum or steel. Galvanize is a coating applied to metal to "prevent" rust; usually for iron or steel. If you have had issues in the past with rust on galvanized metal my guess is that there were other factors associated with improper coating or lack of galvanization in the area where rust formed. Hopefully this is not the case with this particular muffler. Unless the vehicle is subjected to harsh conditions like extreme moisture or road salts mufflers can last a very long time.

I think it's great others have found an alternative solution to the higher priced exhaust systems that are currently available. Even if it starts to sound like crap after a while it won't be a big deal to try something else since there wasn't a huge investment made in the first place. You could afford to replace it 8 or 9 times for what most NSX aftermarket exhausts sell for. (not that anyone would want to)

Live and learn. That's the name of the game. Hopefully those who try this muffler will post their results for the rest of us to decide. As for me I'm saving up for the ol' JGTC Parallel exhaust. I haven't heard of a better sounding exhaust yet.

very well said but you get what you pay for and i did learn my lesson from that exhaust system.

AZNSX,
As for me I'm saving up for the ol' JGTC Parallel exhaust. I haven't heard of a better sounding exhaust yet.

I would recommend listening to GruppM or Tubi, as those 3 were my top choices along with the JGTC.

I don't mind trying the Flowmaster for $82 dollors. I bought a Comptech that blew 2 months after I put it on. I think I'll be good with a Flowmaster as my car stays in the garage. As for rust, I avoid rain already.
Z
Originally posted by AZNSX:

the muffler sound great for first few months then the sound change to bumble bee noise and very loud.
the system will be rust because it made of material called galvanize.

ps. this system is intended mostly for domestic only.

[This message has been edited by NSX FoYoAss (edited 04 February 2003).]

Well put Chris, my thoughts exactly. I also want the TAITEC JGTC Parallel Exit Exhaust but I'm not ready to spend that much money on an exhaust just right now.

AZNSX,

I got a reply back from Flowmaster. They told me that the muffler in question would have to be modified from its current state to fit on the car. I'm refering to the part # that was given at the beginning of this thread.
He did go on to state that he is currently working on a NSX only system that will be for sale in a few weeks?!?!? I asked him to contact me when said product is ready.
I know you get what you pay for, but there is a HUGE difference in $$$ between the Flowmaster and the other brands mentioned.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by 92NSX:
I got a reply back from Flowmaster. They told me that the muffler in question would have to be modified from its current state to fit on the car. I'm refering to the part # that was given at the beginning of this thread.
He did go on to state that he is currently working on a NSX only system that will be for sale in a few weeks?!?!? I asked him to contact me when said product is ready.
I know you get what you pay for, but there is a HUGE difference in $$$ between the Flowmaster and the other brands mentioned.

Guess I was a dollar short and a day late. True you get what you pay for but along with a year warranty on above PN your not out much if something does happen, you decide you don't like it, or like myself want to save a little extra for some new wheels.
smile.gif
IMO if you get a good install and treat it right, it'll probably last until it's deemed "obsolete".

BTW the muffler itself does NOT have to be altered. Stock muffler is cut out and stock inlet pipes adapted up in size to fit muffler inlets. New outlet pipes were installed along with tips. Good luck on whichever you choose.

I was thinking about doing a true dual exhaust system with two 3 chamber flowmaster mufflers for the NSX. I would have to take some measurements but I think it would work.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Back