• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Want a GREAT sounding inexpensive exhaust?

Kelly,

Could you please send me a sound clip as well at this e-mail address.

[email protected]

By the way, I tried e-mailing you twice at the address on your profile. The mail daemon sent them back to me for some reason.

Thanks for all the hard work and question answering Kelly.

Here's my attempt at getting a halfway decent sounding clip. Had mic a little too close so it might seem a little loud. http://www.nsxprime.com/members/kellyjoe/fmxst.wav

Thanks to Lud for posting it here.

As far as the returned email....maybe you all used a one instead of an L.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KellyJoe (edited 23 February 2003).]

Originally posted by NoClgDeg:
Do you have cats on your car?

Yes, but don't the let clip fool you. It's really not as loud in person. Mic was way too close.
smile.gif
If it ever dries out here I'll try to get a good one from the inside at WOT. Maybe through a tunnel or something. It's in the basement on jack stands waiting for new "shoes" so I couldn't get a better clip.

The sound clip sounds great. I noticed though that most(all?) seem to be cutting off the stock exhaust intake pipes to attatch the flowmaster muffler. I was hoping to use new intake pipes (and leave my stock exhaust unmolested to keep the car original for the future). The muffler bender I was going to use does not bend tight enough (nd 90 degree bend for driver side intake pipe) to make the pipe. Has anyone found a way to make the pipe?

I have my install planned out, but havent gotten it installed yet. But the way my and the muffler guy figured it, it would be very simple, and look really clean!!
We are thinking of installing the FM so that the inlets are facing the rear bumper. The outlets would be facing the rear axle angled down. So the pipes coming out the outlets would be parallel(to the ground) running out the back to the exhaust tips.
I'll try posting pics if I can ever get time to get the FM installed.
Z

Actually, it will kindof look like this exhaust: http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/001315.html
But this exhaust canister is more rounder, the FM is more oval. Hope this gives you an idea.
btw, If I could afford it, I would have bought this TAITEC GT Competition exhaust. Looks awesome!!

Originally posted by CFNSX:
The sound clip sounds great. I noticed though that most(all?) seem to be cutting off the stock exhaust intake pipes to attatch the flowmaster muffler. I was hoping to use new intake pipes (and leave my stock exhaust unmolested to keep the car original for the future). The muffler bender I was going to use does not bend tight enough (nd 90 degree bend for driver side intake pipe) to make the pipe. Has anyone found a way to make the pipe?

[This message has been edited by NSX FoYoAss (edited 02 March 2003).]

The exhaust sounds ok. A little raspy to my taste but none the less, a great bang for the buck.
I was wondering why hasn't anybody tried using a Borla exhaust as a stock muffler replacement. Maybe I will do a search to see if that has been done.
Currently I have a Comptech exhaust and the sound is very nice and smooth. Kind of refined is the word. Alot of people say it is to the quiet side but mine is to the louder side.
I have a stock exhaust sitting around that I am seriously considering replacing the muffler with a Borla and changing out the stock tips to a dual tip (Tubi style).

I've been using Flowmaster on my truck for 6 yrs. The muffler has a lifetime warranty, but I've gone through 3 of them. Mine all rusted out. They do sound great though. I should mention that my truck is exposed to the harsh weather, and road conditions of the Northeast.

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
That is possibly the coolest NSX exhaust I've ever heard. But the horn at the end is the clear winner!

Thanks. Gonna try to get a good clip at WOT tomorrow through a tunnel or something so it will be easily heard. The horns are by Hella. Do a search or private me for details. Inexpensive and elementary to install.

Originally posted by Richard Hua:
Just had mine installed today and all I can say is WOW!

Is this the same muffler that KellyJoe has? What kind of exhaust tips did you get?

They look awesome!

I think earlier in this string someone said that the sound changes (for the worse, or gets louder) as time goes by. But, flowmaster mufflers don't have anything to blow out in them like fiberglass packing. Their technology uses chambers to cancel some of the sound. So, I don't understand how the sound could ever get better or worse? Don't get me wrong, I plan on buying one myself. Richard, did you scavage the pipes off the stock muffler for the inlet to converter sections or did the muffler shop make them for you? And how much did they end up charging you, if you don't mind my asking.

------------------
1991 Red/Ivory #2055 1991 GMC Syclone-For Sale
1998 Integra GSR

Maybe, Im just gettting use to the sound. It sounds smoother. Its sounds so so much louder when you first change from stock. Not to loud though.

Originally posted by Zipy:
Richard, did you scavage the pipes off the stock muffler for the inlet to converter sections or did the muffler shop make them for you? And how much did they end up charging you, if you don't mind my asking.

I wanted the choice to go back stock just in case I didn't like the sound, so I had the muffler shop re-pipe with new flanges. Regular crush bends (not mandrel) not the best but it works... I paid $400 for the whole system. (exhaust, re-pipe, tips, labor) It took about 3 hours. There was not much room to work with.

Back