• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wanting One...

And maybe one of these days I can post a thread titled Got One. We'll see. Right now I've got the fever, but I'm just looking. No prior NSXperience, so I'm coming to the well. The car I really want is DC935's Imola Orange '02, currently in the classifieds. That car knocks me out; however, I'm turning 60 next month, and although I've owned a lot of fun cars along the way, I've never spent more than $25K on one, so in my current state of mind, a $60K+ car seems NSXtravagant.

So I'm looking around for something less NSXpensive that appeals to me and ran across this one.

http://www.usedcarsaustin.com/vehicle/used-1994-acura-nsx-sport-1055184.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

I like that it's a coupe, already lowered, TB and WP replaced, like the wheels, and it's only 2.5 hours away. The only thing I don't care for is the white gauges, but I can live with them. So I'm trying to find out anything about it that I can, and like anyone investigating a NS, I plugged the VIN into the search to see what came up on NSXPrime, and found this.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123573&highlight=JH4NA1155RT000413

As you can see, the car sold for around $10K less, about 3 1/2 years ago. Looks like I missed an opportunity. My question is, are opportunities like that still out there, and should I wait for another, or has the economy really improved that much in 3 1/2 years? If it has, maybe I should wait for it to get bad again in hope someone might want to unload an orange car?

maybe I should wait for it to get bad again in hope someone might want to unload an orange car?

Welcome to the search, depending on what you want, it might be quick, it might take years... The Wiki is your friend right now, especially the production numbers for the model/color combo/engine/trans that you may be targeting.

Its a safe bet that others are also poised to purchase an imola orange too...

Talk/chat with some owners and mechanics in your area (find em here) and get a sense for what model years and features fit your budget and take it from there and pick some color options that you like.

From 35K and up, you should be able to find a well-sorted car
(perhaps cheaper in some cases)

Best of luck on your hunt, its addictive

-

Welcome to Prime! I think that 94 is priced high, but then again it is it's a dealership listing so I'm not terribly surprised. For more realistic values, check the classifieds on here, particularly recent listings by motivated sellers. If you're in a hurry to get into an NSX, be prepared to pay a slight premium, but 40k for an average condition 94 is out of line IMO. Good luck in your search.

As you can see, the car sold for around $10K less, about 3 1/2 years ago. Looks like I missed an opportunity.
Auto prices did a bit of a nose dive around the country at that time (auto industry was just recovering from the late 2008 crash), so I would take some historic pricing with a grain of salt.

In your price range, I am sure you will find a nice vehicle to enjoy.

p.s.
That Imola looks even better in person ;)

As you can see, the car sold for around $10K less, about 3 1/2 years ago. Looks like I missed an opportunity. My question is, are opportunities like that still out there, and should I wait for another, or has the economy really improved that much in 3 1/2 years? If it has, maybe I should wait for it to get bad again in hope someone might want to unload an orange car?

You can't use 2009 pricing to benchmark as that was a low water mark for sports car pricing. I have two friends that cleaned up during that time. One bought a Gallardo for 20k under value and another bought a GTR for 20k under. I myself got a solid deal on my previous NA1 during that time frame as there was fear in the air. With that said, if you are waiting for a fire sale on an orange NSX you might be waiting a long time. The orange is one of the most sought after colors and they will always command a premium.

"The orange is one of the most sought after colors and they will always command a premium."

So true, especially dc935's; that is an unbelievely sweet NSX. I had the chance to check that car out before it was sold here in Oregon. I don't think any color compares to Imola in the sun.

Good luck with the hunt!

And maybe one of these days I can post a thread titled Got One. We'll see. Right now I've got the fever, but I'm just looking. No prior NSXperience, so I'm coming to the well. The car I really want is DC935's Imola Orange '02, currently in the classifieds. That car knocks me out; however, I'm turning 60 next month, and although I've owned a lot of fun cars along the way, I've never spent more than $25K on one, so in my current state of mind, a $60K+ car seems NSXtravagant.

So I'm looking around for something less NSXpensive that appeals to me and ran across this one.

http://www.usedcarsaustin.com/vehicle/used-1994-acura-nsx-sport-1055184.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

I like that it's a coupe, already lowered, TB and WP replaced, like the wheels, and it's only 2.5 hours away. The only thing I don't care for is the white gauges, but I can live with them. So I'm trying to find out anything about it that I can, and like anyone investigating a NS, I plugged the VIN into the search to see what came up on NSXPrime, and found this.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123573&highlight=JH4NA1155RT000413

You're 60. If I were you, I'd get exactly the car and color I want. I wouldn't think twice about the money and I'd just do it. Look.... Cost to own and cost to buy are different. That Imola is going to retain value rock solid if not appreciate. Your cost of ownership may actually turn out to be LESS. so you put a little more money in up front, you drive your dream, and when you sell it you get all your investment back. You can buy a $25,000 car like you have before and sell it for 10. That can happen too. The NSX is such.a solid investment if people REALLY KNEW this car, they would not be buying all the other kinds of cars that they do. How often do you get to own such a fun car for so little money. It is truly one of a kind.

You're 60. If I were you, I'd get exactly the car and color I want. I wouldn't think twice about the money and I'd just do it. Look.... Cost to own and cost to buy are different. That Imola is going to retain value rock solid if not appreciate. Your cost of ownership may actually turn out to be LESS. so you put a little more money in up front, you drive your dream, and when you sell it you get all your investment back. You can buy a $25,000 car like you have before and sell it for 10. That can happen too. The NSX is such.a solid investment if people REALLY KNEW this car, they would not be buying all the other kinds of cars that they do. How often do you get to own such a fun car for so little money. It is truly one of a kind.

I agree with Turbo. I wouldn't wait to buy my dream car if I was 60. After all, you can't take it with you..

I agree with Turbo. I wouldn't wait to buy my dream car if I was 60. After all, you can't take it with you..

+1, I just checked out dc935's ad and the car is priced right IMO. No matter what you purchase it for you will not loose money unless you plan on putting 10k miles a year on it. If that is the case, you would be the lucky guy who got to put 10k a year on it. :tongue:

And right now interest rates are so low...

There are only a few times in life you have an opportunity to own a dream for so little... This is one of them.

Being 57, and just retired... I am glad I went the few extra bucks for what I wanted

Buy what is comfortable, you don't want to resent the car... But I'm telling you. As a new owner... This car is crazy cool

Good luck

+1, I just checked out dc935's ad and the car is priced right IMO

Thanks. My Imola is SOLD.

As everyone states, get what makes you happy. If it's a few more bucks that's ok as long as you're not over-extending yourself. You only live once and you can't take it with you so enjoy. You really can't go wrong with any NSX so take your time and find THE one. Good luck.

In 2005 I just started looking for an NSX. An 02 imola caught my eye. It had 10k miles, was on autotrader. I knew nothing of this forum and not much about the car. The owner wanted 62K. Here we are... 7 years later. The same car with more mileage but with extra wheels sells for 63.

Just before my nsx I had a CL600. V12 Merc coupe. It was 138. I bought with 16k miles CPO certified for 84. Same year the NSX I saw was 62. Now that nsx is $63K... That merc... Maybe 18.

When I bought my 05, I wondered why guys on this forum said buy an 02 and save $3800. I was baffled. In a Merc, even the same car 3 years newer is $15K more.

With all due apologies... I think some people are SO SPOILED here by the value of their NSX's they forget what it's like to own a typical 100K'ish luxury car. The way this car holds value is like no other. Buying one is the same as renting one for free.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. You, along with my wife, have me convinced. Unfortunately not in time to get the orange car, which was her favorite, too. We'll keep lookin!

Back