• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

was earning a harvard m.b.a. worth it?

The degree doesn't make the person, but it can have quite an effect. If you look at case studies of some of the most effective managers in recent business history, the huge majority of them have been Harvard MBAs. It's kind of a club - once you're in, you've got a definite advantage over others.

nchopp said:
The degree doesn't make the person, but it can have quite an effect. If you look at case studies of some of the most effective managers in recent business history, the huge majority of them have been Harvard MBAs. It's kind of a club - once you're in, you've got a definite advantage over others.
yeah, on the surface of it, your 2nd point is what i would have thought too. but, iirc, this article doesn't sign up for that mindset.

i've known a handful of harvard mba's: one is very successful, but his success appears unrelated to his mba (he also has a phd in computational physics the he put to very good use); another had a hard time getting out of his own way in biz, and barely survives, another was bright enough to have married a very successful woman so he is able to act as the construction foreman on their new home that her major company salary and stock has paid for and the last one appeared average in iq, significantly below the curve in common sense and remains a corporate lapdog in the high tech biz.

i think it's probably a nice club to begin with, but it's like everything else - make it or no, you're on your own.

a degree is only as good as what you do with it.

i would personally never hire someone solely based on their degree, and hope no companies do. it's the man/woman, their skill, their intangibles...

hell I know plenty of people in my major alone, with maybe a 3.8GPA and can't design their way out of a paper bag, and ones with a 2.7 with great skill.

meh, whatever.

great article!

i'd kill for a degree from ivy school. lol :biggrin:

i think coming from a prestigious school is a great advantage over others. especially in asia, where they actually hire people soley on GPA and academic prestige.

but wow, 10 out of 19 Harvard MBA were failures? but how do u determine them as failure? as long as we live theres no end. what is failure/ what is sucess?

School and GPA give a company a lot of information on candidate employees with little or no real world work experience. Better schools and stronger academic performance will get you in the door for interviews - you're on your own after that. If your school is awarding sub-par students with 3.8 GPAs, the industry will soon catch on and degrees from your particular university will be of much lower value to prospective employers.

Back