• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Was the Acura NSX a 50 state legal car ?

Hi,

New member and hopefully a new owner .....

I live in the state of California which has some strict emission laws. I've been looking at some out of state NSXs, but I'm wondering if they will pass the CA smog test required to register the car.

Did Honda/Acura make a specific car for CA only, because of the emission laws ?? I'm just wondering, because I had a 1990 Nissan 300 ZX that was not meant for sale in CA. Nissan had the CA car and a car for the other 49 states. I've tried googling, but can't seem to find the answer.

My current daily driver is a 2013 Honda Fit EV (has about a 80 mile range before needing to plug-in and recharge) and a 2013 Honda CRZ (when I need to go more than 80 miles and can't wait the 2 hours to recharge at the charging stations). I'm currently considering an out of state car with 160,000 miles, but has a full service record.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!!

Sounds crazy, but there is some validity to his concern.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think with the currently manufactured new cars, car companies made all their cars 50 state emissions legal, but at one point there was a 49 state legal car. CA cars were tagged specifically for CA markets. That being said, the early NSXs have now aged to the point where new emissions standards are tougher to pass regardless whether or not it was tagged as a CA car.

Last edited:
Back