Washing Towels?

After waxing the car, do you simply wash your towels (which you waxed the car with) in a washing machine with a normal detergent?

For some reason, it does not feel as if waxes are gone even after many washes.

TigerNSX said:
After waxing the car, do you simply wash your towels (which you waxed the car with) in a washing machine with a normal detergent?

I'm using Zaino products currently, which is not wax, so YMMV. At any rate, I wash my car towels, mitts and pads separately from other laundry using hot water and regular detergent. I use delicate dry cycle because the mitts and pads contain foam rubber (which BTW led to a fair amount of ridicule from my GF). When they come out of the dryer everything is clean, yet I can still detect the faint scent of car waxing compounds.

What does one use to wash there car when they want to remove the wax from the finish ? I would think that if you washed your mits and towels in dishwashing liquid it would also remove the wax from them.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
What does one use to wash there car when they want to remove the wax from the finish ? I would think that if you washed your mits and towels in dishwashing liquid it would also remove the wax from them.

I have use a mix of 50/50 ISO alcohol/water (or 70/30) to remove wax from the car. You can also use prepsol or a paint cleanser. I don't think that dawn works as thoroughly. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend soaking your towels in these solutions to remove wax.

I would try pre-soaking your towels/applicators in a detergent first, before the machine wash. This should help break down the carnauba.

I wash all of my towels, which are all microfiber, separately in warm water with either liguid detergent (no bleach or softener added) or a microfiber specific detergent (there are several available). I don't see, feel or smell any wax residue.

Sealant residue is another story. Some sealants never seem to come out of my applicators. Makes you see how durable they really can be.

TegerNSX - what wax are you using?

as a point of very important information, do not, under any circumstances, use any of the dryer treatments with your car towels, especially with MF towels, it will ruin them for ever!!! This means Bounce and all like products, do NOT use them! :eek:

TigerNSX said:
Yes. Only difference, as RPM217 wisely notes, is that I don't use fabric softener; I don't know if it ruins the towels forever, but it makes them less absorbent.

TigerNSX said:
I've never had that problem.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
What does one use to wash there car when they want to remove the wax from the finish ?
Zymol HD-Cleanse.

I have heard that you should use liquid detergent instead of powder as the power may not disolve all the way and end up scratching your paint. I use liquid detergent and cold water (I also heard that you are not supposed to use hot water to wash MF, Warm is OK though)

If Dawn detergent strips wax why not use that to wash your wax towels in?

pbassjo said:
If Dawn detergent strips wax why not use that to wash your wax towels in?

My thoughts exactly and although nsxtasy suggested Zymol hd-cleanse which will remove the wax off the finish it would be hard to wash your towels with it. :biggrin:

Towels - for drying and for waxing - are all tossed into the wash machine as one big happy family.

Tide liquid detergent, wash on "hot" cycle and all is good.

No frets, no worries, no over-anal about tiny swirl marks that can be buffed out. :rolleyes: (That goes for all my vehicles, not just the NSX.)

Last edited:
I am not sure what MF towels you found at NSXPO, but this might help.

Try detailers paradise. Nick is a sponsor of this site. I haven't used his MF towels yet, but his big, fluffy towel has my name written all over it. His service is top notch.

I think the 18 pack of Sam's MF towels are OK for interior and grunt work, but I use the better qualities for drying, removing wax or sealants, removing polishes, Quick Detailing, instrument panel plastic, etc.

I have used www.pakshak.com and been very happy with their towels (email your request and the word "autopia" for a nice discount). His Waffle Weave drying towels and ultra-plush are great. I have also used his medium priced towels to remove polish/etc and they have performed and held up well.

Adam's polishes has a very nice, soft and plush micro fiber towel as well that is great for QDing. (A little soft for removing polish).

I have tried tried a few other sources for MF so PM me if you need more info.

ibDursty said:
Does anybody know of a good source for those good microfiber towels like they had at NSXPO at a decent price?

I think that you might be referring to Chuck of Zymol, who was at NSXPO, they're small, but good quality, the other suggestions are also quite good, I have a few large waffle weave towels that I've gotten at some of the websites mentioned above, and I also have the Costco pack, which as mentioned are excellent for "grunt" work :biggrin:

Yeah, it was Chuck... he went long speech about the MF towels that they used and benefits etc. You can get them from his site but they are a little expensive.

Here is what I do with my MF.

Wash separately from other textiles.

Use liquid detergent-I like Tide Free without dyes or perfumes.

I wash on the fullest water setting.

When wash/rinse/spin cycle is complete, I lower the water lever so it just covers the towels. I add 1 cup vinegar and run a rinse cycle. The vinegar breaks up any residual wax left in the towels.

I then dry on low.

Back