• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WAXING

I think NSXTASY has a really excellent routine outlined. I have Zymol NSX and Japon wax but think the 3M show car paste wax (Not the liquid) gives the same results and, it's easier and faster than the Zymol. The big deal is the preparation before you wax, as Ken points out, as much as the products you use.

The process for Zaino is completely different than conventional carnuaba waxes.

This is one of the things that I like about the product. There is no "cleaning" step. You wash the car and then apply and remove the synthethic polish.

-Jim

PS: Despite the insinuations found in this thread, I do not sell, or profit from the sale of Zaino products. I'm just someone who used and tried many wax and car care products over the past 30 years (on 20+ cars that I've owned) and finally found something that I really like.

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 17 May 2002).]

Zaino! Zaino! Zaino!

I used to be a Zymol guy based on the earlier consensus on this forum. After seeing the Zaino stuff on the C5 forums (looking at them for work reasons) I heard about Zaino. It didn't take long before the NSX guys were comparing the 2. Now I use Zymol on my Integra and Zaino on the NSX! Actually, Zymol is still really great, but I'm a Zaino convert.

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black NSX
HID - Autolamps
Wheels - HRE 448Rs - 18x8, 19x10
Tires - Pirelli PZero Rossos
Springs - Eibach ProKits
Shocks - Bilstein
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!
http://geocities.com/nsxbyhre/Main.html

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

For more information about the full line of detailing products offered by various brands, click on each brand name below to view its website:

Zymol
Meguiars
3M (then click on "Car Care and Appearance Products)
Mothers
Zaino
Griots Garage (then click on "Car Care")
Clay Magic (clay product only, not a full line)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 May 2002).]

Okay,
I'm getting ready to wash the car. After going through all the posts, I've decided to start this learning curve with NSXtacy's advice. Because I'm as tight as a crabs ass regarding this stuff, I'm going to simply wash the car today - and that's it. This is my plan.

Transport the car from the garage to the self-serve car wash.

1. Using only Spot-free water, fill up 3 buckets (one for Zymol Car Wash, one for rinse number 1 and another for rinse number 2).

2. I'm going to apply with 100% cotton towels made in the USA from Sam's Club.

3. I will rinse the car totally with spot-free rinse water.

4. I'll wash the car as described in the Detailing Section of this site (from top to bottom, etc).

5. I'll either allow the car to dry on it's own from the spot free rinse (which I've had no spotting problem with) or using a remaining towel or cheneille (sp?) only when 1 billion percent positive there is no dirt on the paint.

6. Next, I'll go over the car with the Maguire's Quick Detailer for the smell of it and the final touch.

Questions - can I use a bag full of sponges for the wash? Also, last night I noticed a section of the bolster dry, hard and beginning of crack lines (though no cracks, but you can see the spider web starting). A friend of mine had Lexol Conditioner. I sprayed a couple drops in my hand and rubbed it in. I came back hours later (and I was careless about it, I just figured "moisture" was good) and that whole area is shiny, but sticky. I was hoping it would look and feel like the passenger seat which is brand new. My question is - should I do both seats for uniformity (but I don't like the shine I see or the feel of it) or should I somehow buff of some of the Lexol to get it to blend. The seats have never been cleaned but the car has only 9K miles on it since brand new (1995) and has been garaged BUT - as I said, the drivers side is showing some dryness apparently.

Appreciate it - I know this is a highly opinionated exhausted topic, but trust me, I've read through everything already on this site and just want to get up to date feedback. I'll let you know how the car wash works out.

Originally posted by SUPO:
can I use a bag full of sponges for the wash?

I would not recommend it. Sponges are made of either polyester or natural sponge, and (as far as I know - someone correct me if I'm wrong) could scratch the finish. To wash the car, use either one of the cotton detailing cloths, or a sponge that's covered with an all-cotton terry covering (you can find these in the automotive section of your favorite store). Some people recommend soft chamois too.

I checked ALL the terry cloth towels at Wal-Mart, Discount Auto Parts, Target and all said Made In Pakistan (or Bangledesh). So I used a Chenielle (did I spell that right). Is that okay? What about 100% Sheepskin for washing and polishing?

Originally posted by SUPO:
I checked ALL the terry cloth towels at Wal-Mart, Discount Auto Parts, Target and all said Made In Pakistan (or Bangledesh).

That's okay. I think the scare stories about imported all-cotton towels are just that - scare stories. I bought a bag of 36 all-cotton detailing towels at Sam's Club. One of the fans of those scare stories told me about how the threads in the seams could be polyester, so I burned one thread to test it, and sure enough, it was cotton too.

So I used a Chenielle (did I spell that right). Is that okay?

I don't know what chenille is made of (I think that's how it's spelled but I'm not sure). Does it say on the package?

What about 100% Sheepskin for washing and polishing?

I think cotton is softer.

Back