• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Weight of AC and difficulty/cost of removal

Anybody here know how much the entire AC and climate control unit in the NSX weighs? I'm not one to devalue my car, and things like ripping out seats are not something I would ever do. However, I thought about it and I never use my AC. I've used an AC only a handful of times in the last 5 years. I am interested in the time/cost of removal of this. I would keep it around if I ever needed to sell the car. Anybody have an idea of how much it costs to remove and install? If the savings is well over 100 pounds and the work isn't too bad, it could be a great bang for the buck performance mod. help???

I just spoke to Larry at NSX Modified and he gave me the info I was looking for. I want to post this info here in case any of you are considering this.
Removing the AC and compressor from the car will remove about 100 lbs. In addition, by removing the compressor I will also gain some additional horsepower. I asked Larry if that was only with the AC on and he said no. The belt is always running and robs the engine of power, a considerable amount according to him.
The labor (and that's all there is), either to remove or install will run me $350. I think that's an awesome performance increase for the money if you're like me and don't need an AC.
Posted here for your benefit.

IMHO, I wouldn't remove the AC unit unless I was making my NSX into a dedicated track car.

*You'll kill your resale value.
*If you want to put it back in, it will cost you two-three times more to do so.
*There will be a day when you will really wish you had it. I lived in LA, it does get hot there sometimes.
*I can't believe it will really gain you that much performance.
*Spend the money on nitrous, you'll see quite a difference there.

Just my .02!

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

100lbs? I didn't know it was that much, when I asked the same question to the list. Most people told me I would loose about 50lbs.

But I'm doing it soon. My NSX is almsot a track car now.

------------------
<A HREF="http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/maomaosnsxmodclub
Join" TARGET=_blank>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/maomaosnsxmodclub
Join</A> my club for infos on my NSX.

I asbolutely plan on keeping my AC around for when I decide to sell. Since I just purchased a couple of months ago, that won't be for a while. Fortunately, Larry will install the AC back for the same charge as removing it. He knows exactly why I'm doing it, so he isn't going to go through and pull out all kinds of wiring that is difficult to reinstall. I just want the bulk of the weight taken out and the added benefit of extra horsepower from removing the compressor.
I've haven't used my AC moe than 5 times having lived in LA for almost 15 years now. I just can't stand the power loss. I can feel it and it bothers me. I guess I'm just a sick freak.
I would be interested to find out the exact weight of the system though. The number he gave me was just a guesstimate, although I'm sure he's removed it many times before.
Obviously, once I have it done I will weigh it and let you guys know what it is.

Also, he mentioned that the belt driven compressor (whether on or not) robs about 20 horsepower from the engine. I'm assuming that's at the crank, but that's still significant.

The compressor certainly draws more power from the engine when it is running than when it is idle. That is the whole purpose of having a compressor clutch assembly in there, so it can engage the compressor as needed and not waste power running it when it is not needed.

You do lose some small amount of power to run the belt but not nearly as much as when the compressor is running - I'd guess around 1 HP or less since there is no real load, only frictional loss from turning the belt and a couple pulleys.

When the AC is on (the compressor is running) the dyno shows roughly a 10HP loss at the rear wheels across the RPM band in back-to-back runs of the same car with that being the only change.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 23 March 2001).]

When the AC is on (the compressor is running) the dyno shows roughly a 10HP loss at the rear wheels across the RPM band in back-to-back runs of the same car with that being the only change.

i thought when one floors the gas pedal, the AC compressor shuts off?

Yeah, there should over-ride circut that takes off the AC when you floor the car.
I guess there is a way to disalbe the override circut.
Typically, when you floor the car, you want maximum performance and taking the AC off-line is an easy way to free up 10 hp right then and there.

NSXadmirer

Originally posted by Khuang:
i thought when one floors the gas pedal, the AC compressor shuts off?

Back