• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are some of the things you guys say when...

I had a buddy that used to WOT his car exactly to the speed limit just to mess with cops. They really could not do anything because he did not break the speed limit. One night I was in the car with him and he got pulled over for goofing off, but not breaking any laws, just being a jackass. He called the cop a tough guy everytime he could. He got a warning on window tint and was instructed not to call the officer a toughguy next time. I was completely blown away that nothing happened. This was a long time ago when we were about 17 or 18. The dumb stuff kids do!

nuccaJB said:
I had a buddy that used to WOT his car exactly to the speed limit just to mess with cops.

I think cop can always find something to write up, even a fix it ticket is a hassle to get it taken care of. This is purely immaturity and inviting problems when you don't need to. I am not trying to lecture, I was 17 once also. Just looking back, these are unnecesary hassles we can live without.

As for the comeback line, I see that also as unnecessary. On a good day, when I have spare energy, I'll play along and let them think the race is on. And just watch them take off from the green light, some of the actions I've seen belong on america's funnies home video as I think most people that road races can't really drive.

A gardening truck was revving on me at a red light one time, I started laughing when I turned and realized that it was a truck. The driver actually took off when light turned, but it spilled his entire truck full of tools, ladder, buckets, scissors...etc all the way down the block. When I finally caught up to the driver at the next red light, I couldn't stop laughing, everyone else on the street were laughing while the truck driver was trying to make a U and go back and pick up his tools. Wish I had that on video. My thought was "I hope this guy is not breeding more morons"

I rarely get to say anything - but always enjoy 'vehicular sarcasm'. Enjoy winning for 1/2 or 1 second, then hit the brakes and wave at the a@@hole who goes flying by. 'You win' - yeah right sure!

I just wink... that seems to do the trick. I always caught them in my turbo. they didnt seem to understand that the same power minus 1000 pounds made my car alot faster :rolleyes:

Some very interesting replies here!

My only concern with some of the harsher ones is that I know I have worried in the past when I drive cars that are above your average car that can be spotted in a line up that someone might see it parked at the mall or something and retailiate at me because I might have said/done something to them on the street that offended/pissed them off.

Aside from that, thanks!

mickeylex said:
Who cares what the other driver thinks? I know you are looking for a comeback, but silence is golden. Don't look at them, don't talk to them. Don't encourage them and don't invite road rage. You can hear them revving, so no need to look. Look straight ahead, ignore them and let them do their thing.

My thoughts exactly :wink:

nuccaJB said:
I had a buddy that used to WOT his car exactly to the speed limit just to mess with cops. They really could not do anything because he did not break the speed limit.
Actually, they can. I had a friend do that and he was written up for "careless driving"

Here are some things I've said in the past, and I got some funky looks back....

- I won't get any traction
- I'm on probation/parole
- What do I win?
- I don't race, I rally
- *blank stare* (no words)
- I'm a cop

These days, I can careless if some high horsepower car comes up next to me and eggs me on. I usually just let them go for it and enjoy watching their fast car take off, or them do something stupid in it. But back when I drove a 11 sec Civic hatchback in my college years, and I knew my car was fast, I'd go up against anything and anyone. Now, I'm just a few years older and can sit back and enjoy the show :smile:

Dracon said:
Actually, they can. I had a friend do that and he was written up for "careless driving"

I'll third that also. One friend also received a 'careless driving' ticket. Another received an 'exhibition of speed' ticket for doing the samething (on different occasions). This was in California.

The last guy I spanked was driving a XXXXXXX like you and he went home and killed himself after I beat him so badly. I just couldn't live with myself if that happened again.

Accomplice said:
The last guy I spanked was driving a XXXXXXX like you and he went home and killed himself after I beat him so badly. I just couldn't live with myself if that happened again.
ummm, yea......

I like the "what do i win line" i'll have to try that if the guy has a cute girl riding shotgun next time

Just laugh. why waste words.

pbassjo said:
D) No one uses their cassette anyway so it's good to keep a Polka tape cued up at the ready, say the Clarinet Polka. Click it in, crank it up, smile and nod.

Now this is brilliant idea. Make sure they think you're driving a ferrari first. :D

Newman said:
I'll third that also. One friend also received a 'careless driving' ticket. Another received an 'exhibition of speed' ticket for doing the samething (on different occasions). This was in California.

My buddy must have been lucky then. This was over tenyears ago, this guy always pushed his luck. His parents were loaded and he was a bit of a brat.

Miscellaneous Ramblings

When asked to race I just look at the guy, smiling, and say, "You're kidding, right?" Then I just shake my head while smiling broadly. This can be done in a friendly fashion without really "dissing" the other guy, so you don't make any enemies.

What would I choose between an NSX and a Mustang? Why choose! I own both. Both are great cars in their respective categories.

Lately I have been thinking about growing up and maybe replacing the ten-year-old Mustang (GT convertible) with a "grown-up" car or maybe an SUV. (I am a car guy, and so am known to get "wandering eye", lusting after something different to drive.) In that vein, I drove a co-worker's 2001 BMW 7-something tonight. I have driven another friend's 3-something before. The 3-something seemed like a sturdy, well-built car but was just unimpressive to me. I had always looked at all BMWs as being basically the same car, just in small, medium, or large. ie, nice but uninspiring. The 7-something impressed me more than I thought it would. We pulled over and switched drivers alongside the interstate. I set the transmission to "Drive-Sport" mode or whatever they call it. As I merged back onto the interstate, my friend urged me to punch it. From a very low speed, I merged behind a car passing at 60 like he was doing 20. It almost felt like I merged from a different lane at the same speed, I was so close behind the car that passed me. The power on the car was very impressive, the suspension was great, the handling was really tight, and not just for a sedan, but for any car. The interior was luxurious but still tight and not overly plush. Compared to an earlier model Mercedes sedan I have driven, the BMW seemed much more to my liking. More of a luxury sport sedan that just a luxury sedan. Very impressive.

I'm more a fan of the AC so my windows are rarely down during the summer and with near limo tint, no one sees in so I don't have to say or do anything except let them make a lot of noise and look foolish. Though I have pulled the "I'm a cop" but before and the look on their face is usually worth a chuckle.

Conor

Back