• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are the main things to look for when buying a used NSX

Hi, I am a new subscriber to this site. I must say that when I browsed this site I found the people to be friendly and knowledgeable. That's cool. I have a question. I have loved the NSX since the first time that I saw it and now I think that I might have the chance to buy one. Maybe a early ninetys, not a very expesive one, in the 20k range. The question I have is besides the usual ride to the dealer what are some things that I should look for or ask of the seller? I am a professional motorcycle mechanic and I know that some things can sometimes be misleading. Example, the bike steers straight but my trained eye can see that the frame had been straightened. Ya know, things like that. Also, I see some people talking about snap ring. What's that about? Piston rings? Obviously maintenance is key to longevity but are the parts this car needs that expensive? I currently own a 99 Civic SI that can take a beating like a champ and parts for that thing are cheap. I did some research but haven't had to buy any yet. Knock Knock. ( on wood ) I'll probably be doing a drop off of my car and a pick up of this one out of state so I don't want to get home and find something that I could have at the time of purchase Ya know.
Thanks for the help and sorry so long but that saves on multiple threads right?

Hopefully I'll be posting some pics soon. I'm crossing my fingers.

See Ya

Steve

Arrange to have pre-purchase inspection done, cost around $100.

Make sure the timing belt, water pump, 90k mile service has been performed, if not set aside $2000~$2500 for above items.

NSX are bullet proof cars, just like Civic, you can drive it just like any other car.

NSX has by far the best built quality, reliability over any cars I have ever owned, it just felt amazingly rock soild.

Before I purchased my 92 NSX with 23k miles, I took it to Acura to have full pre-purchae insepection done, with itemized check list, and replaced timing belt, water pump + 90k service a month after I purchased it, costed me $2500 at Southcoast Acura, probably way over kill, but at least I am worry free for next 5~10years.

You should do a search on snap ring, you should come up with 100+ threads, it only affect 92, and few 91s, most of the cars fall within snap ring range probably either already have the snap ring failed, or already have preventive repair done by now.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Most NSX have loving owners, so you should be fine.

Last edited:
Get familiar with the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions). You can access it by clicking on the word FAQ on the red bar at the top of your screen, the bar that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

Back