• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can be done about the black dust on rear bumper

42O

When I first got the car I had to wash it frequently, the black soot builds up on the rear bumper and bottom near the exhaust tips, even on the rear quarter panels, but now that its turbo it really builds up badly... Everytime I take it out I have to wash the rear bumper now, even if I only go and cruise for 20-30 mins., what can be done? Its even starting to run up to the tail-lights and top of spoiler I find black dust particles. I am not running with cats on my exhaust but I do not know if that would even help its a magnaflow exhaust and I would like to know if anyone else has this problem and what can be done about it? The stock exhaust did it, but not nearly as bad as it is now...Thanks for any help with this prob.

Last edited:
Your only remedy is garage queen or keep on washin.BTW If you plugin search words (soot ,rear bumper) into the search function you will be pleasantly surprised at the volume of old threads on the subject.

Get some Hi Flow Cats and you'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

The bumper is always going to get dirty, but with cats that amount is less.

Take off your rear bumper, problem solved!!!:eek:

This is a common issue with the nsx, but from your description, it sounds like you may be running richer than you should be; there will be a build up of 'soot' there, which will become much worse with straight pipes, or straight pipes and a richer than normal tune.

I didn't have that problem at all with my RSR exhaust, but once went turbo, man it got messy back there. All the way up to the tail lghts. However, we kept tuning and tuning and now it's clean, nothing, nada. If you are getting that much dirt you are running too rich. You need to retune, especially if when you punch the accelerator you get a burst of black smoke. Also check to see if your dust is oily because that could also indicate tuning issues.

R-GT rear bumper. The lip on the bumper protrudes more and it's black so it should clear the problem.

Get some Hi Flow Cats and you'll enjoy the best of both worlds.

So do I need to get 1 cat or 2 for my setup?

If so, where can I order it from for the best price?

3368342348_529e2ebafd.jpg

Well, the thing about the cats are, I am going to move to a place where I need to pass inspection, so I am going to need those anyways. Do they make a high performance one for turbo setups? Anyone know?

My wife talked to the tuner and he said it should run alittle rich, he also said that after I upgraded the AEM system that it would need to be re-tuned anyway, well atleast the maps tweaked alittle, won't need a full tune-job.

So do I need to get 1 cat or 2 for my setup?

If so, where can I order it from for the best price?

In the vendor section there are threads for cats made by ProSpeed and Random Technology which are sold through SOS. Random Tech cats are CARB certified but most techs wont even look at the brand of cats, just a visual check to see if there are some on the car.

Back