• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

what drew you to the NSX?

what is your #1 most important reason you bought an NSX

• Styling

Votes: 89 68.5%
  • Performance

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Reliability

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Cost of ownership (low depreciation, maintenance, for a sports car like it)

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • The way it drives

Votes: 21 16.2%

• Total voters
Definitely styling. I recall seeing them occasionally in the showroom in the mid-90s when I had my Integra and immediately being drawn to the car. Once in a while they'd be unlocked and I could sit in one. Of course the price tag and the fact that it was a two-seater and I had kids to put thru college killed the dream right there. Never thought I'd own one, and I have to pinch myself sometimes when I look at the beauty that sits in my garage.

First test drive story: a good friend of mine, who will be attendng ALMS at Lime Rock with me, called one day knowing I liked Acuras (owned the Integra at the time) and said he was dropping by with a used one for me to look at. Figuring it was a Vigor or a Legend, my jaw dropped when he drove up in a Brooklands Green NSX. He was borrowing it from a buddy who owned a used car dealership. We took it out, he asked if I wanted to drive and I was hooked.

Of course, last year I repeated the jaw dropping experience, only it was his turn, when I pulled into his driveway on the day I picked up my pristine 91.

It is the diamond in the rough of the Japanese auto industry. The bottom-liners at Honda must have been out on vacation the day the NSX was green-lit for production.

I would also say heritage. Have owned a Type R, an S at the moment and love them in every respect. The NSX has way too much Honda in it not to love it!! :biggrin:

The styling drew me and secondly driving experience, and also for a fact that it's a Honda, love their sporty engine feel. Don't own one yet. Still hunting!

For me it was the way the car feels (or the way it drives). The fact that it was VERY innovative would be my second reason. I could care less about getting attention or styling as long as it is attractive from my perspective. If I wanted attention I would have put my 125K towards a Ferrari or Gallardo instead. :wink:

Cheap :tongue:
Buddy I know wanted out as he was always putting money out for rear tires and small Honda parts cost a lot to fix for the NSX. So 18k for a black '91 W/ 94k and Volk wheels.
And I knew I would strip, turbo the car for a new project.

Definitely the styling what drew me in, but my research about its reliability pushed me to the edge. :biggrin:

The plus sides are its rarity, history, easy to work-on, and good amount of aftermarket support.

What's keeping me is the way it drives. I might get flamed with this but it has the characteristics of my AE86 and then some. So the transition was easy for me. I've driven Evo, STI, Z, G, S2000, Supra, cars that I considered buying but I never felt "in one" with the car except with the S2000.

niM

Last edited:
Ummmm... that would be called "styling".

Ummmm not exactly. :tongue: I am attracted to my 72 Triumph TR6 and my 67 Mini Cooper S. Neither of the afforementioned cars have any type of cosmetic flair in regards to styling but I am attracted to them. :wink:
I know it sounds funny but that is the way I feel about cars in general. I fall in love with the car itself rather than the look of the car because of how it makes me feel when I drive it.

And Dave let's be honest here, the only reason you bought your NSX was because it is Silverstone.

Last edited:
And Dave let's be honest here, the only reason you bought your NSX was because it is Silverstone.

True. I don't know why I did not list that as one of the choices. :biggrin:

Triumph TR6... wow must be a model of reliability.

True. I don't know why I did not list that as one of the choices. :biggrin:

Triumph TR6... wow must be a model of reliability.

It sucks would be an understatement. :biggrin: I installed a 300ZX rear differential (OE would not handle increase in HP), replaced the Lucas electrical crap with a Toyota gear reduction starter and a GM alternator.

Here is joke for you..................Why do the Brits drink warm beer ? ................Because they have Lucas refrigerators. LOL :biggrin:
BTW Lucas was the main source for electrical parts on Triumphs, Classic Minis, MGs Jags etc.

I like driving the british cars because they are different and it feels like you are breaking the speed limit when you really aren't doing much at all.

Back